Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: New rules for 'larger' workers on offshore helicopter flights

Thanks
    Thanked 1,139 Times in 668 Posts

Hi Allan

I know that cuplok is your preferred System therefore any addendum to the Step would have to take full advantage of the design of the ledger and the installation thereof...

Modification of the Step would be prohibitive for a whole host of reasons, perhaps, consideration may be given to a simple wand that would extend the arms length, rather than dabbling with the Step design. The simplicity of the cuplok node point would aid installation of the ledger…

Wand ( for want of a better word ) Mode of Operation

Attach Wand to Ledger…Raise the Ledger and install into the cup…Release Wand from Ledger…Secure Cup Node Point with Wand…

The above in its self may be prohibitive, however, the Question was asked for remedial and or corrective action to be considered…

Aye Allan, every inch counts eh

Best regards

Garry...
    Your only as good as your last Job

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Garry Adams For This Useful Post:

Alan Reade (15th October 2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,871 Times in 4,178 Posts

We have done our fair share of cuplok using the step without any real problem and I've also worked with my fair share of short erses. I still think even at 5'6" you should have the reach to put in a ledger. If opening the cup is the issue, you could always tell them to make sure that the cup is open before they top out the standard.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to aom For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Hi Alistair

Aye, this one is a bit of a brain stormer eh…however, problem solving is our business…

I have been looking at alternatives of installation ( cuplok ) rather than the 1/2 Kg hammer recommended…Im looking at a design somewhat similar to the Traditional C Key as a method of securing the Node Point, any thoughts ???

Best regards

Garry...

Thanks

Not sure about that Gary, I haven't really seen it as an issue before. I have seen smaller guys struggle on tubing jobs because of big lift heights or even not making full use of the tools they already have. Cuplok is regimental, and if you can put in the lift ledger, you can put in the handrails from the step. I've never been a big fan of the ag, especially the type that requires a wand.

---------- Post added at 09:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:22 PM ----------

One particular problem when using a wand to fit a system rail like Cuplok is, you usually need a bit of shoulder to force the standard back enough to accept the ledger. Something you just couldn't achieve with a wand.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to aom For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I see where your coming from with the shoulder another wee problem to solve …a Wand type C Key could only be used for Cuplok is the only answer that I can table to Alan,s Question…

How thing with you anyway, good I hope ???

Gar...

Thanks

Yeah, things are going good, every day is a school day as they say. I cleared my last site at the weekend and whilst I did feel a tinge of sadness as I brought the last load through the gates, I haven't regretted my decision to change direction.

What about you, are you still considering the teaching?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,056 Times in 1,576 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Reade View Post
    Not sure why the size is stated in inches as the CAA is a UK regulatory Body and in the UK metric has been mandatory since 1978. That said 22" equates to around 560mm which I would suggest is quite small for the average working "Big Bonedid" Scaff.

I'm 59 years of age, 1.73m in height (5'8")and have lifted nothing heaver than a mug of coffee for the last 15 years and I am still 560mm at the shoulders. Christ knows what the typical 1.8m (6'00") working scaff measures especially the offshore breed who get fed massive meals 8 times a day????

I was always the little fuc*er wedged between two big bastar*s on the AS365 Dauphin out of Easington. Glad I don't need to do it these days.

Garry
    talking of size, now SG4 is well established and the use of the step is well underway in the UK have you guys had problems with "short" scaffs not being able to reach the lifts?
    If so how have you overcome the problem??
    regards
    Alan
    mr reade im the same height wise ( not weight tho lol ) but have always been crippled with t rex arms and i struggle to put the top handrail in off the scaffstep!!!!!!!! and im usually the shortest in a gang all i do is put it at bottom hanrail heght and once up there quickly push it up havnt been done for it............... yet lol
    jiggaman is a spastic!!

Thanks

Alistair…whats all this with the change in direction ???

Aye, Im on track with the Quals required for Teaching / Assessor...

Thanks

Sorry Gary, I thought everyone knew. I have closed the gate on my small operation and am now working as an instructor. First time in years I can honestly say that I'm looking forward to the winter.

Thanks

Good Man…Im coming down to Renfrew Jan 5th and 12 Feb…

Where are you Instructing ???

Gar...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast