Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: New rules for 'larger' workers on offshore helicopter flights

Thanks
    Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,560 Posts

Wink New rules for 'larger' workers on offshore helicopter flights

Sense of humour and thick skin is essential in this game

Thanks
    Thanked 1,139 Times in 668 Posts

Things have changed since the S 61 ( paraffin budgie ) these new measures are step changes that will go some way to elevate the concerns with in the Offshore workforce...
    Your only as good as your last Job

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Garry Adams For This Useful Post:

Alan Reade (7th October 2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,068 Times in 579 Posts

Not sure why the size is stated in inches as the CAA is a UK regulatory Body and in the UK metric has been mandatory since 1978. That said 22" equates to around 560mm which I would suggest is quite small for the average working "Big Bonedid" Scaff.

I'm 59 years of age, 1.73m in height (5'8")and have lifted nothing heaver than a mug of coffee for the last 15 years and I am still 560mm at the shoulders. Christ knows what the typical 1.8m (6'00") working scaff measures especially the offshore breed who get fed massive meals 8 times a day????

I was always the little fuc*er wedged between two big bastar*s on the AS365 Dauphin out of Easington. Glad I don't need to do it these days.

Garry
    talking of size, now SG4 is well established and the use of the step is well underway in the UK have you guys had problems with "short" scaffs not being able to reach the lifts?
    If so how have you overcome the problem??
    regards
    Alan

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Alan Reade For This Useful Post:

Bobbysupascaff (14th October 2014), Old scaff (7th October 2014)

Thanks

Those gyms we neglect on the platforms will get better used, at least.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Consilio View Post
    Those gyms we neglect on the platforms will get better used, at least.
    You got it easy GYM, Scaffs used to make their own benches with bar bells made of tube with fitting bins on the end

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Alan Reade For This Useful Post:

Consilio (7th October 2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,716 Times in 2,034 Posts

is it just me but maybe they should concentrate on finding the reason why the helicopters are ditching at an alarming rate.
    this pathetic scheme is a bit like a plaster on a broken bone if you ask me.
    The amount of steroid freaks and protein shakers may well dwindle due to the new rules so not all bad
    et dux fluit dux
    if you want Square work DONT cut corners

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to happyhugenoet For This Useful Post:

celticbhoy (7th October 2014), Garry Adams (7th October 2014), scaffy 1980 (8th October 2014), stonedrose1 (7th October 2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,139 Times in 668 Posts

@ Alan

I haven't heard of any probe with UK Scaffs using the Step, however, one size may not fit all, for example, perhaps, quest workers in your region who may be slight of build and challenged in stature all be it their natural body size…

Regards

Garry...
    Your only as good as your last Job

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Garry Adams For This Useful Post:

Alan Reade (14th October 2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,871 Times in 4,178 Posts

I've seen one or two struggling to reach the return doubles on a handrail but it's usually the spanner chokers who don't know how to get a few extra inches out of holding the spanner lower down. It's should still only be 2m between the handrails anyway.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to aom For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Garry Adams View Post
    @ Alan

I haven't heard of any probe with UK Scaffs using the Step, however, one size may not fit all, for example, perhaps, quest workers in your region who may be slight of build and challenged in stature all be it their natural body size…

Regards

Garry...
    Morning Gary thanks for your response.

Beinga a man of great height myself 5'-7&3/16" it's not the slight of built that is of concern it's the short f**ers that are a problem

The average height of my supply source is 5'-6" which means that 50 % are shorter.

Whilst the step in T&F may be usable it is not so friendly when using say "Cuplok" a 2m lift is still a 2m lift when using the step but placing the top cup in the open position involves another 4" or so and we all know how important the extra 4" can be.

I considered having a taller step made which would raise up the platform but then the Ledger being used as the "Advance Guardrail" would be too low.

Just wondered if anybody had come across this and dealt with it to save me reinventing the wheel????

regards
    Alan

---------- Post added at 02:35 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:33 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by aom View Post
    I've seen one or two struggling to reach the return doubles on a handrail but it's usually the spanner chokers who don't know how to get a few extra inches out of holding the spanner lower down. It's should still only be 2m between the handrails anyway.
    Have seen quite a few chokers here to be honest despite explanations they have no concept of lever arms!
    regards
    Alan

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Alan Reade For This Useful Post:

aom (14th October 2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,716 Times in 2,034 Posts

aLAN THERE ARE ALSO ADVANCED GUARDRAIL SYSTEMS ON THE GO THAT MAY BE MORE ADAPTABLE FOR YOU REQUIREMENTS ESPECIALLY REGARDING SYSTEM
    et dux fluit dux
    if you want Square work DONT cut corners

18. The Following User Says Thank You to happyhugenoet For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast