Scaffold Design Software (1 Viewer)

src

Reaction score
We are looking to trial some new software to see what other options are out there that might ease the design process and provide benefits to our clients. At the moment we use AutoCAD and a simple beam bending software to produce our designs.

What software do you guys currently use for drawing, calculation, bill of quantities etc? Any recommendations?

We have had a demonstration of solidworks which looks like a good product as you can produce 3D models, bill of quantities and analyse the structure all in one product.

Thanks
Scott

Software does not design. it only does what it is instructed to do, and will never take away the design skill away from the Engineer , Software only Aids the Engineer in obtaining results quicker.
With 3d software the same applies , the skill of the Cad operator is the precedent.
and once you have produced the model you still have to communicate it to others, and if they don't have the same software a problems arrives.
To get around this problem you have to use a neutral software and the only one is 3d PDf where no software in needed to obtain information from the File.
I am unable to post 3d PDF on this site as the files are to large but if you drop me a email I will forward an example to you.
Modelling is the way forward the idea of BIM ( building information models ) is to reduced time and cost by over 30% !!!!!!! which is achievable
GAVIN STEARN

The problem with getting bill of materials (or quantities) off a drawing (or model) is that you need to draw the whole scaffold in 3D, using the correct lengths of tube, correct couplers etc. in order for the software to know how many you have of each component. You would then need to show the usual 2D layouts for construction. This can be done using Autocad and you can get quantities from Autocad if you insert all components as blocks and assign certain attributes such as lengths, mass etc. for the take-off. This process would take so long that it is far quicker and cheaper to draw the scaffold in 2D and do a material take-off as usual. Most analysis software allows you to import 3D models from CAD in dxf format for analysis but it does take time to model as discussed above. Again it is quicker to draw in 2D on the analysis software then analyse as a 2D plane frame, unless of course 3D analysis is required. The only software I'm aware of that will draw and analyse the model is Scia engineer but you are talking north of £20k for the software - you would need to do a lot of designs far quicker than normal to justify that cost. It is better to use Autocad and get cheaper analysis software that can import the 3D models.

£20k!!!!!!!!!!!!! Don't think the company would go for that... I see they have a option to trial it though so might give it a try.

A few others have been suggested - S-Frame and Bentleys. BeamPal2 is another simple beam analysis software that has been recommended. Anyone use any of these?

Software does not design. it only does what it is instructed to do, and will never take away the design skill away from the Engineer , Software only Aids the Engineer in obtaining results quicker.
With 3d software the same applies , the skill of the Cad operator is the precedent.
and once you have produced the model you still have to communicate it to others, and if they don't have the same software a problems arrives.
To get around this problem you have to use a neutral software and the only one is 3d PDf where no software in needed to obtain information from the File.
I am unable to post 3d PDF on this site as the files are to large but if you drop me a email I will forward an example to you.
Modelling is the way forward the idea of BIM ( building information models ) is to reduced time and cost by over 30% !!!!!!! which is achievable
GAVIN STEARN

Hi Big Gav

Can you PM me some examples too?
Sounds interesting.

Cheers

Its all been said above.
There is software out there that produces drawing as opposed to designs a bespoke design will always be exactly that.

You will never improve upon a set of experienced eyes looking at and solving a problem in this industry a computer will aid in the presentation and may improve output but it has no instinct.

Anybody with scaffolding knowledge, a reasonable grasp of Excel and a couple of hours to spare will be able to create a very good material calculator that will be more that adequate, certainly for the more mundane scaffold, independents, birdcages etc etc.

The same person should also be able to create a spread sheet for most of your repetitive calculations and complement you simple bender.
regards
Alan

what I have heard is that how designers look at designs now - is that shapes are continuously made through out the scaffolding - sharing the deflection until it reaches at that point that is fails - I believe there is some anylisis software on the market that can work on this principle....I did not realize 3D solid works worked well

I don't know if it helps but I've just found an app on Google, play that is free and it appears to calculate all the tube and fitting materials that you require for an elevation. Is worth taking a punt have a look. ATBM

I am not adverse to 3D analysis of scaffolding In fact I think it can be a good thing. What concerns me is that scaffolding on site is not the same as scaffolding in the office.

The 3D analysis may not take account of the on site alterations that need to be made, it may not take adequate account of the distance from the standard that the scaffolder actually places a brace of how far from the lift the scaffolder places a tie. Whilst a standard scaffold design may make the same omissions it will effectivley been designed as a stand alone unit which will benifit from the surrounding frames but is not entirely reliant upon the capacity of the surrounding frames to pick up the inadequacies.

I don't know if it helps but I've just found an app on Google, play that is free and it appears to calculate all the tube and fitting materials that you require for an elevation. Is worth taking a punt have a look. ATBM

An experienced scaffolder who can read design drawings, who can work out the scale by using an old fashioned ruler and who can do mental arithmetic or use a calculator should be able to produce an exact BOQ to within a 1 tonne variance for every 180 tonne.

Some of the best scaffold designs I have come across have been produced by engineers in the GCC both for formwork and access.There are many skilled and innovative designers in the GCC and I disagree with the below comments.

Steve Gregory
Steve Gregory 2nd
CISRS/ CITB International Scaffolding Instructor at Simian Skill

I've only just seen this. �� shocked! All the best with it Terry. As I know you both I am certain you and Ben Beaumont will be a huge success. You will always go down in my career as the most complete professional I've ever had the pleasure of working with. Along with ben becoming the leading complete scaffolding engineer in the world I can only see huge potential and I must admit that having a full design provision within the GCC is long overdue. Any scaffold companies in the GCC would be crazy not to use this design provision. This will easily highlight the Incompetent scaffold engineers here in the GCC and from my own experiences some are of a very poor standard. I wish you massive success for the future because it's time the GCC realised that the complete scaffolding industry experts are there to be used to carry out their statatory duties as employers.

Long time no post for me! Hello Alan, hope you are well.

3D analysis has its place and is a useful tool for some projects. It takes time to input the 'scaffold' ... time that is not always available and as Alan said it is an idealised model of the scaffold and does not take into consideration offsets / eccentricity and the like (unless you want to spend even more time inputting).

I often use it to 'chase down' vertical loads in a complex scaffold ... whilst not necessarily using the analysis for the full design.

Another useful application is where one has beams spanning onto beams onto cantilever beams onto other bloody beams! Often easier to do one 3D analysis than to design each separately.

CADS A3D Max would be my recommendation. There are others (such as solid works) - in the main they seem a little 'too much' for scaffolding!

Happy analysing! (is that a word!?, lol)

Very well thanks AxSD just poped into the UK for a couple of weeks with the kids.

Not sure happy is a word, certainly not one you hear too often in scaffolding😀😊

Long time no post for me! Hello Alan, hope you are well.

3D analysis has its place and is a useful tool for some projects. It takes time to input the 'scaffold' ... time that is not always available and as Alan said it is an idealised model of the scaffold and does not take into consideration offsets / eccentricity and the like (unless you want to spend even more time inputting).

I often use it to 'chase down' vertical loads in a complex scaffold ... whilst not necessarily using the analysis for the full design.

Another useful application is where one has beams spanning onto beams onto cantilever beams onto other bloody beams! Often easier to do one 3D analysis than to design each separately.

CADS A3D Max would be my recommendation. There are others (such as solid works) - in the main they seem a little 'too much' for scaffolding!

Happy analysing! (is that a word!?, lol)

Gentlemen…

I have been viewing this thread with great interest, all very cordial and thought that I had no input until now…a miss guided comment has led me to leap to the defence of Guest Worker Design Engineers in the Mid-East…I have worked closely with several and found they were over qualified for the task, indeed, the last Designer I worked with converted my back of a fag packet schematics in to a Legend Complete…

Have a healthy, happy and prosperous New Year to my Forum Members in General and to Alan and Fred in particular…

So, Alan…do you recon that an old hairy asses Scaff would master the latest Design Software ???...

its crap does not show fittings ...why waste money ...... its the cad man, not the soft ware thats counts, and so it should,,

Top Bottom