design needed?? (1 Viewer)

Luce2120

Reaction score
Ok Hopefully this will make sense.

I went to look at a job yesterday for painting a block of flats that sits on the bank of an estuary. The side against the river is actually in the water so will need to be designed which I told the client. He said no problem just add the costs into the price.

So my first question is how much should I allow for the design? It will be approx 70m long 2/3 lifts high, and the best way I can see would be to truss-out of the basement carpark windows and then go up from there above the water.

Secondly as the estuary is regularly used does anyone know what regulations we may have to abide by and factor in? Like will it have to be lit in a certain way/colour to warn ships etc at night?

Thirdly can anyone recommend a firm to do the design for us for a good price. We are based in the southwest.

He wanted a price fairly quickly so any help with the first question asap on the cost would be much appreciated.

Thankyou

Ok Hopefully this will make sense.

I went to look at a job yesterday for painting a block of flats that sits on the bank of an estuary. The side against the river is actually in the water so will need to be designed which I told the client. He said no problem just add the costs into the price.

So my first question is how much should I allow for the design? It will be approx 70m long 2/3 lifts high, and the best way I can see would be to truss-out of the basement carpark windows and then go up from there above the water.

Secondly as the estuary is regularly used does anyone know what regulations we may have to abide by and factor in? Like will it have to be lit in a certain way/colour to warn ships etc at night?

Thirdly can anyone recommend a firm to do the design for us for a good price. We are based in the southwest.

He wanted a price fairly quickly so any help with the first question asap on the cost would be much appreciated.

Thankyou

Morning Luce

Lots of things to be considered in an estuary or water in general, moving base, tidal flow, flotsam & jetsam, build up of debris against the scaffold leading to build up of water pressure etc etc.

Don't forget boat men, first aid, weil's disease

Impact from boats may also be an issue as will be liability for damage to same.

How deep is the tide?
Will your boards be under water (uplift on scaffold)
Boards becoming dislodged, possibility of damage to vessels?

you may also want to check your insurance as a number of insurers will not cover you when working over water.

Lots to think about but never the less should be considered in your price

I hope it go's well for you
regards Alan

Alans got it spot on. It can be quite an issue with insurance.we did a similar job over the thames at chelsea wharf & the drawings as i remember were circa 2k. But the cost of hiring a saftey boat were more expensive.also the addition to ur rams with working over water & buying xtra lifejackets etc can really push the costs up - your 1st step will be to contact the autority in charge of that section of waterways and ask for their criterea.

£40 per hour is far to little for a consulting scaffold engineering firm - £60+ per hour is the usual rate now but you'll need to check with the engineers first to ascertain how long it is going to take them to design.

Top Bottom