why no end bands on laminated boards (2 Viewers)

ianrip

Reaction score
hi guys
i'm stuck for a clear answer from the contractor

and i need to prove it's NOT required to me SEQ team leader

so why "why no end bands on laminated boards"

BS 2482:2009 Specification for timber scaffold boards
BS 2482 specifies requirements for timber scaffold boards with a width of 225 mm and a thickness of either 38 mm or 63 mm.

It covers board sizing, board construction, and timber quality and grading, for which it specifies:

a) Two grades for 38 mm thick scaffold boards, as follows:

1) 1.2 m support centre – a grade that is suitable for support at centres up to 1.2 m, which may be selected by visual or machine strength grading
2) 1.5 m support centre – a grade that is suitable for support at centres up to 1.5 m, which may only be selected by machine strength grading.

b) A single grade for 63 mm thick scaffold boards that is suitable for support at centres up to 2.5 m, which may be selected by visual or machine strength grading.

BS 2482 does not cover laminated or finger-jointed scaffold boards.
This version of BS 2482 replaces BS 2482:1981, which is now withdrawn.

8 hours and no answer,just guessing, as its not made of pine,perhaps the ends dont split like pine,so bands not required. Some of the laminated bds are ply base ali top no bands.

They aint popular over here and i know QFS had bout 10,000 in there yard last year they couldnt use

Dead easy they have their own set of instructions and don't comply with BS 2482.

@ fredrick…

Worked with these before OSHA approved I believe, I had 500 of the in a Training Establishment…and quite correct no hooping irons required due to the manufacturing process ( usually scandinavian )…

I thought that they were quite dense and held their shape well under harsh conditions…a bit heavy though, or maybe Im just getting old LOL...

If a board is nail plated does it still need endbands ?

If you read TG20 and BS 2482 nail plates are fine. Are your boards 2482 Allscaff?

Ive used laminated and timber boards on many projects. Laminated boards are very very good but I still can't find the correct wording to justify not having bands. If the contractor can tfind the right wording, then I'll need to ask them to use bands

I have always been under the assumtion that the purpose of end bands are to
-protect the ends from splitting.
-provide proof of grading under the BS

theres a nasc TG 5:10 & TG6:10 witch follows the publication of BS2482:2009 for brds & as plastic brds are graded outside of the BS i would therefor assume theres no need for them i beleave there are end caps that can be bought seperate but purely for asthetic reasons, but just check with the manfactures recomendations to be sure.

Last edited:
hi guys
i'm stuck for a clear answer from the contractor

and i need to prove it's NOT required to me SEQ team leader

so why "why no end bands on laminated boards"

BS 2482:2009 Specification for timber scaffold boards
BS 2482 specifies requirements for timber scaffold boards with a width of 225 mm and a thickness of either 38 mm or 63 mm.

It covers board sizing, board construction, and timber quality and grading, for which it specifies:

a) Two grades for 38 mm thick scaffold boards, as follows:

1) 1.2 m support centre – a grade that is suitable for support at centres up to 1.2 m, which may be selected by visual or machine strength grading
2) 1.5 m support centre – a grade that is suitable for support at centres up to 1.5 m, which may only be selected by machine strength grading.

b) A single grade for 63 mm thick scaffold boards that is suitable for support at centres up to 2.5 m, which may be selected by visual or machine strength grading.

BS 2482 does not cover laminated or finger-jointed scaffold boards.
This version of BS 2482 replaces BS 2482:1981, which is now withdrawn.

Banding is a requirement of BS2482, the purpose is to stop boards splitting.
Laminated Veneer Lumber (LVL) boards do not have a tendency to split.

Ian if you are the client then you can put this in your site scaffold procedour if you have one, or review the contractors and make a recomadation
But as posted you do not need to band them as it will be company procedour IE Cape plc

Laminated boards dont split they sort of crumble on the ends

They aint popular over here and i know QFS had bout 10,000 in there yard last year they couldnt use

Almost correct Allscaff,
14,000 were placed with QFS last year, preempting their inclusion in the new TG20:13. I believe they can now put them to work if they choose to do so.
regards
Alan

Top Bottom