Scaffolders Study Group

hemper

Information, Training and Supervision is a requirement of the HASAWA and as such should be delivered by the Company to their work force.

As you have already identified Tool Box Talks are an essential requirement to communicate Safe System of Work and Method Statements, ect...therefore, I would advise that work force request an informal meeting with Management to discuss a way forward...

Isn't TG20:08 more to do with what structures need to be designed and those a scaffolder can build without drawings (also the ties structure and wind loading that should be incorporated into designs)

The SG series being guidance notes for safe working at height, as we've mentioned elsewhere in here SG4:05 is getting an overhaul this year but nothing has been published as of yet

SG4 still stands, SG4 / 5 may or may not be published at the end of the year. HSE want it but NASC arn't happy. Manufacturers of advanced rails jumped the gun & hope it will stand.:amazed:

Although i have not been with the site long, I am looking forward to sharing work experiences and training with other people I think this site is good for scaffolders who take pride in their jobs and wish to either learn or pass on wisdom and so on. my company has only just started to introduce the new safety guidelines on us which i believe replaces sg4 its now tg20 any feedback would be good

I would be interested to hear what changes your firm are trying to introduce. I sat with a manager of a firm who thought his firm was the dogs ******** at the nasc agm but when I asked about how his firm were dealing with the new regs the method he described was physically impossible. Granted it had been at least twenty years since he had worn a set of guns but it got me wondering exactly how many firms were doing something about it, e.g how many jobs in town have you seen with a single handn rail fitted on a dummy lift? I have been looking for a while now and they are as rare as a gaffer on pay day.

aom,
Compulsary on my firm mate, street, site, wherever.

aom,
Compulsary on my firm mate, street, site, wherever.

Maybe it's just my area that seems slow to catch on but honestly the only jobs I have seen built like that are ours.

Isn't TG20:08 more to do with what structures need to be designed and those a scaffolder can build without drawings (also the ties structure and wind loading that should be incorporated into designs)

The SG series being guidance notes for safe working at height, as we've mentioned elsewhere in here SG4:05 is getting an overhaul this year but nothing has been published as of yet

Tinheads
Just had a quick look. There is 33 SG (Safety Guidances) and 16 TG (Technical Guidances) Free if your an NASC member but at cost if your not :(

don't suppose i could really call myself a member of the NASC LOL

Its a bit hard to get past the membership criteria as a private citizen spanner jockey

Scaff mate

Aye the NASC have a wealth of there own TG (Technical Guidance) and SG (Safety Guidance) sheets, for the Members.

However, Who ratifies these 'Guidance notes'? have they Carte blanche to define,' This is the way forward' as we are the leading authority on scaffolding operations'?

They have had there ££££££££££££££££s for so long now, albeit there original intentions could be in the right place, but now it's £££££ for this and that.

SME's IMHO are there main target audience, Get the membership in, and we will assure you this ........

Rant over
Regards
Paddy

Scaff mate

Aye the NASC have a wealth of there own TG (Technical Guidance) and SG (Safety Guidance) sheets, for the Members.

However, Who ratifies these 'Guidance notes'? have they Carte blanche to define,' This is the way forward' as we are the leading authority on scaffolding operations'? I assume it will be thier committees who I assume are made up of members & scaffolders (Managers probably)

They have had there ££££££££££££££££s for so long now, albeit there original intentions could be in the right place, but now it's £££££ for this and that. Agreed!!

SME's IMHO are there main target audience, Get the membership in, and we will assure you this ........ More and more of our clients are insisting membership or no work :( a restrictive practice I think

Scaff

We will then have to define 'Next Steps' for the proposed committee.

I apologise, i have cross threaded, not intentional:rolleyes:

Minority group consultation is the way forward, 'Workers Know Best' and this is a scaffolders forum.

Your Honour,
I rest my case.;)

daz

Iv planted the seed, its up to the Forum Members to Cultivate it.

I am trying to get some space to attach Documents, i.e. Basic Information, Instruction and Training---still a Work in Progress---however, should be up and running soon.

Garry...

how do i become a member of this mysterious sect

Goodfella and Others – you are right to be concerned!

Like you, I encounter the ‘two-day experts’ all too often.

Unfortunately ‘safety training’ is now primarily based on ‘box-tick’ courses and having the time/money to support the so called accredited ‘training providers’.

The old adage holds true - Talkers Talk and Doers Do.

Be safe and remain patient

Hi all,
I have just finished a BSc in occupational H&S if anyone wants any info help etc just drop me line. I am trying to get away from working on the tools due to being crushed over 2 years ago and i still cant catch a break doing safety and thats with a degree but as with guys trying to get offshore just need to keep trying

Hi Sweeny todd

I was also going to do my level 4 in OH&S to entitle me to Grad IOSH membership, however, as you have identified, the arse has fell out of the market, even for H&S consultants. You could try going freelance mate, bit of a gamble, in these current times though.

Regards

Paddy

Hi Paddy,

I would still do my level 4 you never know things may change. I might have to go freelance as I cant get any work what so ever at the moment must have applied for about 700 jobs now had interviews etc etc and still never got the job.

Regards

Stevie

usual i know but advanced inspection bring it into line with the rest of cisrs did one last year [needed it to get by fortunately for me a quick route to a so called qualification]only scaff on it rest were suits when the likes of them start giving you gibber jabber on site after a two day course its their health and safety gotta worry about. unrelated but bring back assessed route for quals i was on ecitb had to start again part one 25 years in the game counts for nothing

Just read your thread regarding the Advanced Inspectors course. Just completed the first CISRS course....9 on the course, 3 scaffs and 6 construction managers who knew........NOTHING! frightening when you think about it as they are now qualified to inspect at the highest level with very little knowledge. I have been in the game over 30 years, hold an advanced card aswell as NEBOSH general and construction certs and make my living by inspecting scaffolds. Last year I could, this year I couldn't until I had the CISRS card....strange system...seeems a good way of obtaining money to me!

Top Bottom