Ptlls: 3 & 4

Garry Adams

Reaction score
To All and sundry in general and my fellow Scaffold Erectors in particular…

Having nearly exhausted every conceivable role in Operations, I rather fancy a slight Career Path branch line, I have recently developed an interest in Teaching / TT / TAQA ect…

My Question's are:

Has any Forum Member taken the Course and if so would they like to share their experience ???

Is there any Members currently studying for the Qualification ???

Has anyone got an interest but not quite ready to commit to the Course ???

Depending on the response to this post will determine if it is with setting up a study group for mutual help and guidance…

Well Bro Scaff's, Although, I have always recognised the requirement for Quals,I have finally capitulated and decided to get Qualed up…

good luck on your new venture gal sure with your background youll do well mate

sounds daft but are the above mentioned courses just to teach scaffolding? or anything else? id be suprised if you need anything else other than an advanced card in truth

btw what is taqa? i know its something to do with dubai

GAR I WILL SEND YOU SOME OF THE PTTLS AND CTTLS STUFF I GOT FROM YOUR FRIEND IN THE EAST
you kinow the chubby one:eek:

Garry,

It could well be that aom had to or is doing PTTLS. If it's the same as when I did the equivalent teaching course (of course, superseded!), you train "on the job".

I really enjoyed teaching but the paperwork requirements and lack of funding for the courses I taught, which lead to not knowing whether I'd be teaching or not, sort of lead me out to where I am now! ;)

I wish you luck and as always, please keep us informed of your progress!

Garry, there was a decent looking position advertised on here within the last few weeks looking for trainers/instructors and they said they would be willing to put the right candidate through the instructor training provided they were (minimum) advanced with x amount of years on the tools behind them.
Have a search through the threads and good luck!

Bang on Bt and stone. I did do my pttls, because I had a genuine interest in training. Turns out however that this was the first job I ever went for in my life that I was considered over qualified for as you only need to hold an advanced card for 5 year's to be considered for a position. I'm not saying that it wasn't helpful, as I feel that I have hit the ground running pretty quickly because of that and my shadow courses, but they could have maybe been better attained on the job.

I have loads to say on the subject but maybe not on tinterweb. ;)

Al. Did u not feel it was value for money - i was surprised that citb wanted me to have it b4 they would allow me to give potential newbies the cots programme & tbh the cost to gain it was far more then the bennifit of saving a few hundred quid a year doing our own cots.
but in saying that gary ive gotta be honest in saying the teaching route does sound appealing but i dont beleave in the current syllabus or system & so wouldnt want to be a hippercrite lol...prob go the nebosh & saftey consultant way once i hand the company over to my son but tbh thats not gonna be for a min of another 5 years.but good luck to you & if you start the study group i'd defo check it out

To be honest SP, I did think it was value for money. I did consider doing my own cots but you also had to have cisrs check that you had the right facilities to deliver the course right. That wouldn't be worthwhile for a small outfit, even if you hired a training room. The real value for me as a complete novice, was the theories of learning and putting them into practice in my new role. The main benefit to doing it up here is, most people who use Cardonald college, get the same lady as a lecturer and to be honest, she is great. Anyone who can help me understand how it's all meant to work has to be.

@ BobbsupaScaff

Ptlls is the first step in Teaching Adults, the Course syllabus gives you the skill to Teach any subject that you want, in my case I will apply the skills Teaching my chosen subject Scaffolding…

Re: TAQA, this Qualification replaces the Assessor V1 / 2 and Quality Assurance, that is my next aspiration…

Gal...

---------- Post added at 12:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:00 PM ----------

Greeting Bro…

I learned a very valuable lesson form our last meeting in Aberdeen I was on the verge of jacking in the Scaffolding Industry, however, after due consideration I elected to stay and to gain the appropriate Quals, therefore, I have bought myself a new pencil case and school bag, its all about experience V Qualification, I got 42 years experience, however, pretty lift on the Quals…

My e-mail is down at the the moment, however, I shall be receiving soon, I look forward to the ptlls stuff old bean…

F.R. Garry...

---------- Post added at 12:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:13 PM ----------

@ Bettertax

Teaching can be quiet demanding, you must have reached saturation point with it ???

Garry...

---------- Post added at 12:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:17 PM ----------

@stonedrose1

As the demand for the NASC Approved Overseas Scaff Tickets has increased so to has the requirements for suitably Qualified Trainers / Assessors…

There is a Project in West Africa that we at Logans Oil Field Services are in contention for and hence the requirement for the Quals…

Gaz...

---------- Post added at 12:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:24 PM ----------

@AOM

I am using ptlls as a first stepping and hope to progress…

Garry...

---------- Post added at 12:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:28 PM ----------

@ Southernpoofter

Our Industry encompasses many element, its hard to distinguish where one finishes and the other begins, NEBOSH and the application of the H&S element with the TAQA element, revenant Quals…

Gaz...

You're quite right Gary, the opportunities abroad are increasing daily and so it seems is the financial rewards. Unfortunately the pay scale is a bit more modest at home but the job satisfaction for me has definitely increased. Good luck with the qualification, I know you won't struggle but if you do require any assistance, don't be afraid to shout.

Thanks Alistair…we all got to learn, learn something every day…

Im preping my micro Lesson at the moment, a wee Scaffolding appreciation lesson I think, nothing to taxing for the uninitiated...

Best regards…

Garry...

I didn't realise that you had already started it. There is still a fair bit to do when you leave which is simple enough as long as you can set enough time aside to complete it.

I did the micro teach on the safe use and inspection of a safety harness. Trust the scaffs not to stray too far from safe ground.

Despite that, I still started very nervous. Stuttering and stammering through my introduction, but soon found my feet when the demonstrations started and I could get in amongst them and actually showed them the correct techniques.

I think I learned quite a bit from that wee exercise.

Anyway, all the best, maybe see you at a centre some time.

Alistair…I havent actually started, more like researching and getting a grip of what ptlls actually want…a bit of prep never go's amiss eh…

I am preping my micro lesson in readiness for when I take the Course proper…

Aye, Scaffolders never stray to far form our core subject, the thing is there are so many satellite subject that are integral to our Industry, the Harness being only one of many...

Garry...

Last edited:
I don't know if it's changed but as I recall you will only be qualified to teach what you are qualified in!

As for micro lessons, the point is to build your lesson around a subject that is interesting and can be covered in a "micro" session.

I agree with aom too... I hated standing front of class teaching (or delivering as they like to call it) theory - I was much more comfortable with practical elements. I found I'd end up saying what could be misconstrued as inappropriate comments ;) when stood in front of a white board!

Always remember - you know your subject so its all about the confidence and ability to pass that knowledge on.

It hasn't changed Bt, it is still just a basic teaching qualification that allows you to teach to whatever level you are qualified in.

Your also quite right about self confidence. I don't know much about anything really but I do know scaffolding and as long as the discussion centres around that I usually have plenty to say.

Gar I will get that to you hopefully tonight.
I've borrowed my eldests IPad and she wants it back:eek:

Thanks old bean got the file from the TFMitE…gratefully received and will be faithfully applied, hope all is well Bro and thanks once more…we will have to close in on the TAQA next :cool:

Gar...

Top Bottom