Tube and fitting

DS

Reaction score
what is the distance a scaffold tube should protude through a fitting??

also does anyone know where this is wrote in any legislation

hi ds. l'm sure sum 1 on ere will know the answer. but i remember sum 1 telling me (many,many years ago),not 2 go more than 2" through a fitting. so,if l'm wrong then so be it. but it wud be good to know.

hi scaff22...

as anyone ever mentioned a minimum though or what would you think was acceptable?

hi scaff22...

as anyone ever mentioned a minimum though or what would you think was acceptable?
hi ds. no,no-one every mention a minimum,but got my ass kicked when l don't do sumthing my old chargehand didn't like(pretty much everyday for 18months). but l wud av thought 2"(or 50mm,in new money),wud be the norm coz t&f is the same size,nd you wudn't wanna stick out too much past the outside standards. but if any1 ere cud put me rite,wud be grateful.

we had that problem on a job and i couldnt find nowt in tg20 bout it

I don't think there is a minimum distance ,mainly because there are so many types of fitting, what shold be considered is the surface area of the fitting that makes contact with the tube, to achieve the safe working load fittings are designed to wrap around the tube with as much surface area of tube being in contact with the fitting, this is why your supposed to use a chair when using band and plates (nobody does). If the fitting is only gripping the tube at half its length I would assume that its only taking half the load.The guys who do the drawings and calcs will be the best people to ask.

DS i have never seen a minimum amount written anywhere in 30 years but i would think as long as the fitting covers the tube then the fitting is doing its job , once had a row with a safety officer who said i had screwed the screw jacks up to high , my reply was then why does the thread go that high ? he walked of mumbling about smart arsed scaffolders

The issue i have had is one company safety officer says rule off thumb which when questioned said 25mm through, i then decided that if you can get a tube cap on the tube it would be enough and relayed that to all my guys.

which in fairness they have done on all projects (give or take a few tube) now another company safety officer as pulled it and said we need to change all tubes that are not 50mm through the end of the fitting as that is correct way. But when questioned where in the legislation it was stated he couldnt answer and said that is how he wanted it. Which is okay but when you have 4 guys nearly 2 days altering tubes that is acceptable for some but not others i just wanted some feedback.

The issue i have had is one company safety officer says rule off thumb which when questioned said 25mm through, i then decided that if you can get a tube cap on the tube it would be enough and relayed that to all my guys.

which in fairness they have done on all projects (give or take a few tube) now another company safety officer as pulled it and said we need to change all tubes that are not 50mm through the end of the fitting as that is correct way. But when questioned where in the legislation it was stated he couldnt answer and said that is how he wanted it. Which is okay but when you have 4 guys nearly 2 days altering tubes that is acceptable for some but not others i just wanted some feedback.
Tell him to fu*k himself, even if it was specified in TG20 :08 thats just technical guidance so its not mandatoy. If he wants you to alter all of your scaffold on a whim to massage his ego tell him you will be charging daywork to do it and somebody will be paying, soon as he thinks the finger will be pointed at him for the cost of it with no justification he'll buckle, they always do.

Get so sick to death of so called safety officers turning up on site and picking faults to justify their jobs, where do they get their second hand infomation from, they see scaffolders and think "easy target",besides if the scaffolds handed over and the clients happy whats his problem.

On a funnier note,we had a job in the Transit van plant in Southampton, the safety advisor was a proper tw*t, he would find fault for the sake of it. Everyday we used to buy a loaf of bread and chuck it all over his car. When he came back to the car park after work his car would be covered in seagull crap it was a great jape and well deserved.

---------- Post added at 07:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:36 PM ----------

Tell him to read BS 1139 -part 3 if he wants to know all about scaffol clips, that'll shut him up

Forgive me for saying this guys, however, Make the CISRS scaffold inspection course, the only recognised course for scaffold inspection. UNTIL SCCR gets a foothold.

Every H&S Officer, should sing from the same hymn sheet, however, you do not at this current time need any H&S quals, to be a H&S consultant:eek:

For this reason, any Tom,**** or Harriet can set up a H&S Consultancy.

At this present time IOSH is trying to make H&S a regulated accredited credential.

When working in Vickers ship yard a few moons ago we had a so called safety fella ask us should'nt the tube be through the fittington 3inches we just burst out laughing and he disapeared [true story]

DS

The length of protrusion of a Tube through a Fitting ( the buckish )

Firstly, I must state that this is my personal preference's---

Transom Tubes protrude no more than 2" from Front Elevation/Facade of Scaffold, this provision reduces the risk of snagging when Lifting (craneage) /hoisting Operations are in progress.

Ledger Tubes protrude no more than 6" from the Side Elevation on a Boarded Lift.

I have found no reason or reference within, Engineering Principals and or Legislation, Technical Guidance, ACOP, why a Tube cannot be deployed flush to and within the jaws and gate/band and plate of a Fitting.

If the surface area of the Tube is within the Jaws of the Fitting and the alloted torque Value applied to generate sufficient Frictional Stress to mitigate against the gravitational pull then it is done.

DS, good post and yet another gray area which is open to question.

Garry...

garry where ya bin mate , givin you 2 hours to catch me up

Podger, Scaffy

Im workin up at the St Fergus Gas Terminal---post shut-down work---shut down sheduled for completion on 24 th Aug so I'll have more time to come to the forum---Im tryin to catchup on the topics...

Thanks Gary

On a brighter note i was in town this morning and noticed a pretty big scaffold erected which is probably one of the worst i have seen for a long time (really shocking) and guess what its the same company that the pr**K of a safety officer works for the one which as pulled 50mm of tube through the fitting. Its shocking double standards. How would you deal with this without causing uproar with the safety officer and the scaffold company that as erected what i can only say is a bag of s**t ?????

Nice to see you back Garry, missed your posting's :smile1:

As old School the 2" through the fitting was the ideal length,but as we are all human I reckon it could be pushed to 6" depending on the position

Now my other hat on as a scaffold Inspector and H & S consultant, yes you can set up and manage a H&S consultancy without qualifications,BUT any inspections or advice your consultancy produces, have to be at a professional level so the people doing the inspections counselling have to be able to show competency for the work they are doing.I agree that a number of "Scaffold Inspectors"have not a clue what they are doing but please do not tar us all with the same brush.Like scaffolders we come in different levels of skill and judgement

Top Bottom