Tube and fitting

Nice to see you back Garry, missed your posting's :smile1:

As old School the 2" through the fitting was the ideal length,but as we are all human I reckon it could be pushed to 6" depending on the position

Now my other hat on as a scaffold Inspector and H & S consultant, yes you can set up and manage a H&S consultancy without qualifications,BUT any inspections or advice your consultancy produces, have to be at a professional level so the people doing the inspections counselling have to be able to show competency for the work they are doing.I agree that a number of "Scaffold Inspectors"have not a clue what they are doing but please do not tar us all with the same brush.Like scaffolders we come in different levels of skill and judgement

Rigger mate

With all due respect, i wasnt having a pop at you or any other H&S Officer, However, if the H&S officer, is not comfortable/Competent with Scaffold inspection, would it not be more professional for them to either decline the offer ( i think not ££££) or undertake the CISRS scaffold inspection course?

Regards
Paddy

"Rigger mate

With all due respect, i wasnt having a pop at you or any other H&S Officer, However, if the H&S officer, is not comfortable/Competent with Scaffold inspection, would it not be more professional for them to either decline the offer ( i think not ££££) or undertake the CISRS scaffold inspection course?"

Agree Paddy with most of above except the CISRS scaffold inspection course? the old one was a waste of time and money As for the new one I dont think it will be much better.I believe to competently inspect a scaffold you should have a few years under your belt on the tools

I dont offend that easily Paddy :D say what you want, when you want :toung:

The only way to reach a concensus is through debate

DS

Unfortunately, Statutory requirements and B.S. pertaining to the Erection of Scaffolding Structures are not always clear and concise---Statutory requirements use the cope-out " as is reasonably practicable " which back heel's the Scaffolding Procedures to the Scaffolding Organization too create and implement. This practice gives rise to a liaise fair culture, which in turn allows Scaffolding Organizations to set their own Standards and thus variations and confusion and conflict ensues.

Therefore, I would request to view the Scaffolding Organizations Procedures Manual and Scaffolding Operations, within these Documents there should be stipulations on the recommended acceptable over hang of Tube.

If there is no mention of min/max over hang Tube, then the Safety Officer has taken it upon himself regulate said Tube Length.

Garry...

---------- Post added at 01:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:08 PM ----------

Rigger

I concur, capable and competent that is the prime acumens of a Scaffold Inspector, however, a clear and concise matrix of Generic Statutory Requirements would eliminate any inconsistencies within the Scaffolding Industry as a Whole. As I have alluded to DS a free for all liaise fair culture provides loop holes---Perhaps this is an area we all could look at before the October Meeting ?.

Garry...

At last Garry you are back!!

I asked the HSE for an idiots guide to regs etc.

Something that no one can hide behind, why make the detail on the job so secret. This is something the SCCR is going to push for.

List out what is needed, handrail heights standard spacing lift heights everything in one document & when anything is changed then let us all know without charging the earth!!

Welcome back Garry:eek:

Ragscaff

ragscaff

Aye, Iv been awal for a while workin at St Fergur Gas Terminal pre-shut down work---should be finished up here on or around 24 th Aug so I'll have more time to contribute to the October Meeting Adgenda---

Iv been catching up with your correspondance with NASC and CITB---

easy mate av just done mi pt 2 n its 50 mil although some sites will let you get away wiv 25 but if its not stated in method statements/ risk assesments just go to 50 mil. Hope that helps!!

Im along with the general line of thinking here..

50mm is preferable for me and Im 99.9% sure it used to state this in the old type part 1 module. But this is not mandatory, just best practice.

Dave.

I had a safety officer goin round a housing estate checking all of our bracing was more than 2" past the fittings,so there must be something out there stating it !

50mm is what our trainers say , can't be arsed to look it up in TG20:08 :D

Top Bottom