Rates on a yard???

scaff101

Reaction score
looking at setting up early spring next year, my old mans got some yard space at his house hes letting me use, just wondering if i will have to pay some kind of charge for it being used for a business,
shitting my self about going it alone!

If it's your old man space then there shouldn't be any charges unless he doesn't like you.
The only thing that would go against you was neighbour's complaining about it etc if it's big enough to store a wagon over 7.5 tonnes then you would need an operators license and then people can object.

yeah i know about the operators license, would i need to contact local council and tell them it will be a scaffold yard? thought i would have to and then they would charge me a rate for it

Just be classed as storage only so shouldn't attract any business rates but give your council a bell just to clear it up but I wouldn't think so.
Plus don't be shitting yourself about goin it alone yes it's hard but even if you try and fail you will learn so much valuable experience that would be an asset to any firm and would be back in work in no time. Credit to any man who's willing to give it a shot!

Last edited:
The rateable value could change if there is a change of use to a portion of the land from domestic to commercial. The council could also put restrictions in place like loading times if there are other domestic properties in close proximity. Each council deals with this in a different way, I would wait until they come to you. For your operators licence, it's your local traffic commissioner, you'll find them on Google.

Top Bottom