Back pain (1 Viewer)

Mr.B

Reaction score
Guys i know some of you suffer from this along with me but I got told i got DDD (Degenerative Disc Disease) ive had it for a good few years and carried on

But feck me
Today i cant stand,lay or fecking walk, fecking hell

Anyone else been told they got this?

Permenant fella, thou i can have the discs removed and vertebrae fused together if it gets too bad

Maybe its time you moved into the office.
The pen is mightier than the spanner. ;)

Are you still on the tools? If so yep cons right pos inspector job good cushy number boring as Fook but...... Would keep the bailiffs out

I get sciatica, pretty f@cking bad in the early part of this year but I've been paying a chiropractor and laying off the graft a bit and (don't jinx it) it's been a lot better recently.

Yeah thats a pretty ****** pain when it goes down your legs, got chiro on Monday, had over two years of it when I got first diagnosed, had sports physio too
Been told accupuncture is great for sciatica

I ruptured 3 discs @the top my neck a few years back & am still avin hospital procedures & constant pain relief but tbh i found a green gel called bio-freeze you can get it from boots & its the DBs and really does ease it....give it a try m8 cos when your suffering like that anythings worth a go

Yep know the stuff SP it is good and does take the edge off it a bit.
Got chiro on Monday so will see how bad it is as I cant lie down flat on my back or stand up straight atm

Yeah thats a pretty ****** pain when it goes down your legs, got chiro on Monday, had over two years of it when I got first diagnosed, had sports physio too
Been told accupuncture is great for sciatica

Morning Mr B.
Many years ago when I did not struggle to get my arse out of the chair I suffered very badly with my back and shoulder. Went to Physio and Chiropractor at great expense and little benefit. When it got to the stage I could not walk for more than 10mins without resting I ended up going to an Acupuncturist.

Whilst I always start with I don't believe in medicine let alone alternative medicine I continue as follows:

The Chinese guy said 1 session (2 to be sure) would cure my shoulder and 4 (5 to be sure) would cure my back. He threw in some cupping sessions while I was there for good measure (WTF right)

After the first session I knew my shoulder was fixed and by the third so was my back that was around 12 years ago and unless I do something stupid I have no problems at all with either.

Not a recommendation just a statement of fact!

Good luck with your choices.
PS being in the office may not be the solution as I found all my pains moved to being in my arse!!!

That's a great post, Alan.

I think there is definitely a place for complementary medicines - not alternative - as they should be seen to work in conjunction with orthodox medicine. Our lovely doctors are all too quick to dismiss them as hocum... is it money (back handers from the big pharmaceuticals?!) or ignorance and they don't wish to know more!

Either way, if you are being treated by a doctor, you should keep up with that but there is nothing to stop you trying something else too. The fact that you feel the need indicates that what the doctor is ordering is not working.

There is nothing worse than back pain and it is so debilitating. I've never fancied acupuncture myself (bit of a wuss), but folk that have it say it's marvelous. The way I see it is, if you have been going to a practitioner regularly (say once a week) for more than maybe even 6 months and seen NO improvement, then maybe its time to try something else. If you go maybe once a month, as a sort of maintenance regime, then fine, as long as it's still giving you relief for that time between).

Don't try more than one therapy at a time. You need to find the one that resonates and works for you. Mr B, yours is a little trickier because it is a skeletal problem. However, you could try osteopathy maybe? Let someone else have a go at you? Personally I wouldn't go to a chiro...

If you do (that's any of you) decide to go down the acupuncture route, make sure you go to a good one. The course is 3 years long to learn it properly as all Chinese (meridian) medicine takes into account not just the actual problem but other things too, like the 5 elements... big subject Chinese medicine!

Do you do any forms of stretching exercises, like yoga? I know its not something you'd normally associate with scaffolders, but it could help - and ease the mind too! I know a scaffolder working on the rigs who practises reiki and that surprised me too but he says he treats loads of the guys. Reiki is an energy treatment, not invasive, very gentle.

Do some research on DDD/ slipped discs/ sciatica. See what's available. Sorry, I have gone on a bit, but I am a trained complementary therapist so it's an interest of mine.

I do hope you feel better today :).

Sorry to hear of your pain & discomfort Mr B,

I have been in the game 50 years and always found the hot bath and radox a real relief from the normal aches and pains after a hard shift.
Luckily I have no permanent back damage as you have.

There is among Doctors, some debate as what exactly DDD is and hence the treatment for it.Having said that I would not go down the quack medicine route, far better too get a referral from your Dr. to a NHS physio who will treat you on an individual program

I think it wasn't so long ago that physio would have been considered "quackery"! ;)

Rigger is right though, has your doctor (any of you) suggested physio as a starting point? Or referred you at all, to an orthopedic doctor? Or neurologist (sciatica is afterall, an inflammation of the sciatic nerve)?

The problem with NHS physio is the waiting time for referral, along with the therapist's time constraints, so often they may do a bit of hands on and then give you exercises to do and off you go.

Yep had physio for a while, which did treat the muscle pain you get when they clamp round your spine but i found the bone cracking more beneficial to the main pain in my back, hence my return to it.

Can't seem to find a needle doc around, well apart from someone who does it from there house

---------- Post added at 08:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:04 PM ----------

Anyway I've been to work today so it's not that bad

Thai massage with them stomping/kneeing all over your back should help

I woke up about 7ft tall the next morning after last one fooking hurts while they do it, it's torture for an hour or so like that film hostel in truth but well worth it might be worth a punt mate

Plus Rosie is right about acupuncture (granted never had it due to same reason as her lol ) but heard great things about it

My back stiffens up every so often but not as painful as it used to be. I put this down to having a very pricey but super comfy mattress. Sleep well and comfy and it makes a massive difference.

Yep got one of them longun! there a bugger in the summer tho , just retain to much heat

In my opinion, as humble as it may be :p, massage etc should never be so painful that you want to scream at them, "get your hands off me!". There's a fine line between "good pain" and the extreme. Just because it hurts does not mean it's doing you good - in fact I suffer/ed terribly with shoulder pain after a thai massage on the beach where she was standing on my back and I felt this massive crack across my shoulders. Considering my head was to the side, it was very wrong to do that - apart from the fact that they don't ask if you have any kind of health conditions that could be upset by what they are doing!

Don't be put off by someone working from their home. It's sometimes too expensive to have a high street clinic. If you call them, ask lots of questions about how and where they qualified. I forgot to say earlier, there are courses available to qualified medical people now but its a short course and is known as dry needling which is not quite the same as acupuncture, so just bear that in mind too.

Top Bottom