Offshore - yes or no? (1 Viewer)

Devski

Reaction score
Hi guys, I'm a part 2 scaff with 11 years experience toying with the idea of going offshore, just wanted to know the pros and cons off working offshore, if there is much work out there and what they pay is like, also how many days on and off and what are the good company's to apply to, all help and advice appreciated

Some people love offshore some hate it , you really have to give it a go and make your own mind up. The money is reasonable and provides a decent living but 2 weeks on a rig is a long time.

well put scaffa robbo
i would like to add that the companies are all the same
nicey nicey when they need you
cuuunts when you dont dance to their tune;)

What do you mean by that? They just drop you when it suits or if they want you straight back out and you say no they won't ask you back?

It's a " who you know culture " out there mate, but get yourself off & give it a go as it might suit you. Usually it's two on two off rotation, if you need any help you can always PM me. Good luck.

be prepared to be paid off come november time for around 5 months, Stinking attitude from them when you dare to say no to anything.

the time off is the best part about it.

Worked offshore for 2 years now, platforms,jak ups,fpso, I enjoy it coz I'm young and free.no commitments or kids etc working 3 on 3 off on a fpso at the moment. Wage is over 3G a week cleared (nzd) but don't get paid a retainer which sucks but like the fellas said it's close knit environment shared rooms 12 hours graft,small communal areas. Plus sides great food,gym,bed made every day close wash dried and folded for u. And a free chopper ride. You get some job worths but hey you get them everywhere. I think it would be a great direction to go if you want to advance more in your career and yep u generally have to know a good sup or someone who works the hr, just remember to cross the t's and dot the i's bud yul be fine.

you may love it you may hate it
my main gripe is that some stupid wee lassie has the power to feck you off,just because you told the truth to her.
I have worked for the so called big 3 and as they are Painting and Lagging firms theyre treatment of Scaffolders is in my opinion poor.
The best firm was SGB that i have worked for and then McDonalds a close second as they knew the Scaffolders mindset;)

weevers hit the nail on the head

As far as pay and what u r entitled to read theO.C.A agrement it tels u every thing you need to no.and dont b shy about asking what you are entitled to.because believe me they wont b shy when it comes to pay off time.it amazes me the amount of lads who dont no what they are entitled to such ad stand by rates.any ways give it a shot there is o get burnt out ne plus side u will never get burnt out as the work rate is slow on a good day compared to street work.

been told to just sit on stand by and wait for the call ,if it comes at all any advice would be appreciated

U are entitled to half rig rate every day once yoy hve been off the rig for your 2wks leave.they need to pay u until they put you back out.read the oca agreeme down loadnt it takes 5 minits to download.dont be scared to ask for what u r due.they make the les you have to stick to them but so do they .

it was to be my 1st trip I was half way to Aberdeen this time when they called to cancel my check in the original trip was 23rd july to 13 aug ,so will they only have to pay stand by money till 13 aug ?

I know that mate will be signing up to the union once I actually get off

Cool thanks everyone, just before I go ahead and book my bosiet and mist is there much work out there, and who do I contact?

yes did induction and signedcontract im getting standby money thanks mate

Top Bottom