ladder beams (1 Viewer)

It depends on who is teaching the young guns SP I teach mine how to erect scaffold the proper way and always tell them that when they go to the CITB the teacher is always right, then it takes me a week to get them back into the real world after their latest course.
I do have to say though that there are some really good designers out there that really know their stuff, it's just a shame they want to empty the yard every time they draw a job :laugh:

Lol @ phil -similar thing here m8 when i send em off i say to em listen to what they have to say & let them teach you how to scaffold then come back to us & we'll teach ya how to make money.

I agree with most of the previous comments that ladder beams should be erected through 2 standards and the NASC have got it wrong. For most designs I will continue to show the beams connected through 2 standards to each side as this improves the bending strength of the beam (although it does cause uplift to the outside standard in theory but I've never seen that happen in practice). Having said that the ladder beams in TG20:13 are for bridging scaffolds not lifting frames or temporary buildings where the advantages of installing through 2 standards at each end of the beam are greater. The loading platforms in TG20:13 show the ladder beams through 3 standards so that isn't really an issue. It can be proved that fixing onto the horn ends is weaker than installing inside the rung and some of the diagrams in TG20:13 show the standards fixed to the end of a horn end that looks around 300mm long - this is bad practice and the horn ends are only ever 150mm long.

Just seen a scaffold supplier tech guidance.
It shows ladder beams supported by single standard at each end on the beam horns.
Back in the old school days 2 standards were required at each end and this was actually on the training drawing for bridge using beams used at Bircham Newton.
Have things changed?

---------- Post added at 08:17 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:15 AM ----------

I will check out TG 20 tomorrow as don't have it with me.

No. Still the same.
Double standards at either end.
Always like this.
Unless there are severe restrictions on room, then other alternatives are to be considered.

However, this is only in the uk.
Other places employ their own rules and regs.

Unless a new rule has come out over here, in which case I havent seen it.

One upright on each end of any beam is structurally sound, simply spanning beam.

If you span any beam over more than one upright the end of the beam will want to lift the outermost upright. This will in turn increase the load in the support upright. Giving the designer and the scaffolder more work.

Using the horns is not a great idea and the beam manufacturer should be consulted as this might be using the beam outwith their recommendations.

The last 5 design jobs I'v done I'v had to alter tell the designer y & ask him to recalculate & will it work 20 mins later I get the green light & he's billed my gaffer for a couple of large ones, it's all rang

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The last 5 design jobs I'v done I'v had to alter tell the designer y & ask him to recalculate & will it work 20 mins later I get the green light & he's billed my gaffer for a couple of large ones, it's all rang

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You may not be paying him for the 15 mins it took to check the requirements worked, you may be paying for
1) the fact that he is qualified tell you
2) the years he spent studying
3) his office costs
4) his insurance
5) he is taking responsibility
6) you can sleep at night

There is an endless list of reasons to pay for what you do not have but need, it is never hard to find a reason to buy the bigger TV

---------- Post added at 05:23 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:22 AM ----------

One upright on each end of any beam is structurally sound, simply spanning beam.

If you span any beam over more than one upright the end of the beam will want to lift the outermost upright. This will in turn increase the load in the support upright. Giving the designer and the scaffolder more work.

Using the horns is not a great idea and the beam manufacturer should be consulted as this might be using the beam outwith their recommendations.

Perfect summation, you see exactly this in the link I posted previously

I had this argument with a scaffold designer he said it was only one standard because the second one would have alifting force imposed on it when the beam had a load onit.i have always used a pair and will contine to do so ,never mind what some fella who has never touched a spanner in his life says!!

It's got absolutely nothing to do with whether or not he's touched a spanner. I'm an advanced scaffolder of 22 yrs experience (advanced since 2004) and have recently become involved in the design element of scaffolding. His and every other designers reasons for not putting a second set of legs to each end of the beam are quite correct. If you feel happy putting more materials into a job than are required then feel free to carry on, but don't think that designers are trying to pull a fast one. If anything you should feel happy that they're saving you time and possibly giving you the chance to earn additional money etc if you're on price.

Top Bottom