Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: spurs/pickups: tension & compression

southernpoofter Guest

Lol phil its only taken me 30years to learn theyre called supplimentry couplers lol...think we'll just av to stick to our leaners m8.....

change of subject phil just got my 1st batch of scallops this year needed a lifting bag to get em up-paddled all the way back to the shore to find out the fcuking carabina broke & all i had was a goodie bag with no goodies init

Thanks
    Thanked 2,927 Times in 1,990 Posts

haha, thats the street scaff in ya Phil.

so lacing spurs.is that like a wing brace

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by frederik View Post
    haha, thats the street scaff in ya Phil.

so lacing spurs.is that like a wing brace

No mate, the question is basically "does it matter which side of the bridle you attach spurs\pickups"

southernpoofter Guest

Not sure if i understand you properly as you may use differnt terminoligy to us but if your talking about the spurs onto a bridle as a canterlever we would normally fix with the top fitting/dc up the right way hanging underneath the bridle,pointing outwards with the supplementry directly below stopping any slip -the bottom fitting would then be turned upside down so the gate rests into the ledger with the supplimentry on top stopping any push down
    -if your talking about pull backs then we'd do it in reverse with the top fitting of the pullback upside down & the supplimentry above stopping this tube being pulled through the 1st fitting , the pullback going down to the bridle on the outside with the fitting the right way up & this time the check supplimentry on the opposite side underneth to stop any drop-hope that makes sense

5. The Following User Says Thank You to southernpoofter For This Useful Post:

Scarf-folder (17th June 2014)

Thanks

Here you go, OP.
    Attached Images Attached Images

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nick-CDS For This Useful Post:

frederik (14th June 2014), Kamran Khan Rajput (13th June 2014)

southernpoofter Guest

Nice one nick exactly as i'd written it :-) -a picture paints a thousand words lol

Thanks

If nothing else, I thought it'd make a good conversation piece.
    Last edited by Nick-CDS; 13th June 2014 at 04:31 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,927 Times in 1,990 Posts

Was thinking, spurs come from below, whats it called when supporting from above?? pullbacks doesnt sound very technical, unlike supplementary couplers.

---------- Post added at 08:42 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:36 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by southernpoofter View Post
    Lol phil its only taken me 30years to learn theyre called supplimentry couplers lol...think we'll just av to stick to our leaners m8.....

change of subject phil just got my 1st batch of scallops this year needed a lifting bag to get em up-paddled all the way back to the shore to find out the fcuking carabina broke & all i had was a goodie bag with no goodies init
    Had to laugh at this one, done the same thing a while back. Where you getting your scallops from sp?

southernpoofter Guest

About 1/4 mile off shore between weymouth & durdle door the seabed drops down to abot 22/26m onto aperfect sand& shingle bottom-ideal for scalloping.i normally paddle out on a diveyak & tow it behind me when diving-saves a fortune on the local charter boats

Thanks
    Thanked 1,068 Times in 579 Posts

Morning Guys
    sorry late in on this post Nick has the answer in his sketch.
    Compression is shortening a member and the supplementary and/or checks are applied to the inside whist tension is lengthening and the couplers are on the outside.

in general they both (compression & Tension) get to the same result but need to be considered with the individual application.

It is worth pointing out that a "supplementary coupler" (whilst it has the same basic result) is not the same as a "check coupler".
    A "Supplementary coupler" is used when the capacity of a fitting is less than the load bearing capacity you are looking to achieve, example:
    a double is worth say 6.1kN but the load to resist is 10kN you apply a supplementary coupler to achieve the load required.
    A Check Coupler is a security back-up coupler, example:
    The same double on a hanger is worth the same 6.1kN and the desired load is only 3kN but we apply the "Check Coupler" as security against the failure of the support fitting.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast