spurs/pickups: tension & compression (1 Viewer)

Was told by a designer that the only 'check coupler' was on the bottom of a dropper under the t-piece for this reason Alan has stated. (altho i thought the designer sounded a little misguided at the time)

As regards the original question, fix your rakers wherever they dont interfere with a boarded lift. Most drawings i've seen dont account for which side of the ledger/bridel you fix to if the lift is fully working, they do normally state somewhere on the design sheet something along the lines of 'change on site as necessary' regarding dimesions and perticulars

Was told by a designer that the only 'check coupler' was on the bottom of a dropper under the t-piece for this reason Alan has stated. (altho i thought the designer sounded a little misguided at the time)

As regards the original question, fix your rakers wherever they dont interfere with a boarded lift. Most drawings i've seen dont account for which side of the ledger/bridel you fix to if the lift is fully working, they do normally state somewhere on the design sheet something along the lines of 'change on site as necessary' regarding dimesions and perticulars

The Definition of a Check Coupler is given as "a coupler added to a joint under load to give security to the coupler(s) carrying the load"

This relates to a usage not a location but the common most place to find a check is on the TOP & BOTTOM of a hanger.

In my earlier days all added couplers were refereed to as Check Couplers this changed in more recent years as scaffolders became more sophisticated.
If you go back to your old copies of BS5973 you will see Check Couplers on drawings of hangers but also on the spurs and transoms in trussouts.

For those of you who still have your little Green or Yellow Books you will see these were called Safety Couplers, there was a recomendation that these were used on Hung scaffolds, punchions, truss outs, rakers for loading bays there must always be at least one safety coupler at each end of these members. The safety coupler must always be a load bearing coupler and if a Universal coupler is used it must be in the "Upright" position fitted with a butt tube in contact with the ledger.

Last edited:
About 1/4 mile off shore between weymouth & durdle door the seabed drops down to abot 22/26m onto aperfect sand& shingle bottom-ideal for scalloping.i normally paddle out on a diveyak & tow it behind me when diving-saves a fortune on the local charter boats

I know that spot well SP done a good few scallops dives there, hahahah your face must have been a picture when you got back to harbour, my buddy lost a whole bag at the surface once I nearly wet my self laughing until we decided we all had to share ours to cover his as you know scallops are a prize not best shared

somethings are taught with no proper comprehension sometimes - the doubles are designed and tested to be fixed in any position, but where the cantilever spurs are fixed to is the main issue- bracing underneath is in compression and if the braces fixed above "pullbacks" then this is in tension - doubles should be used fro good practice although the capacity of the swivels now say you can use them also....

Top Bottom