Boards on loading bay (1 Viewer)

STEVIE KNIGHT

Reaction score
Hi I have been putting up a large loading bay from design. The design calls for 200 centers on transoms and double boards. My question is does it make a difference in strength if both fleets of boards run parallel to each other or would it be better to have one fleet one way and the other fleet on top running the opposite way.

With 200 centres I don't see it making much difference what you do! What does the drawing say?

Run the boards the other way, it helps with the distribution of weight if you think about it. I'm sure any drawing you have would support this.

Reguadless of what u may think or others may advise Just stick to the desighn as any deviation from the dwg would require a re-issue & if not & there was a problem then the fault will lay solely with you & not anyone else -out of interest whats the MWL gotta be high with that much gear going into it

Its a 20kn loading bay for a couple of containers and material rack. Ladder beams for standards at 450 centers.
I only asked the question because it doesn't show direction of boards on the drawing but it details a double layer. My supervisor said that if they run the same way its stronger. I said thats ******** and run them different ways.

@ Stevie...Id go for running the boards different ways too... if mud sills, sole boards require a larger footprint we double the sole boards up at right angles...could be prudent to apply the same for loading bays...

Kick the bal back to the Designer and ask if he has a preference and the reason why, would be interesting to know...

If it doesn't show on the drawing, chances are they run the same way as the boards in the transoms, if you deviate from the drawing without consent from the designer, your liable if anything was to happen.
Play safe mate, your not paid to think, your paid to follow the drawing your given, sorry if that's blunt.

Gotta agree wiv mightymouse i'm affraid - if the detail of cross boarding is not shown then assume they're running the normal way over the transoms

Running both boards in the same direction results in stronger boards - you've got 2 layers spanning the transoms rather than 1 and the boards are stronger running in the direction of the grain rather than across the grain. As Gary says they may be run in opposing directions for foundations but this is to spread the load from the standards, not strengthen the boards. There may be situations where the boards are run at right angles to each other on a loading platform but I cant think of a situation where this would be advantageous, other than spreading the load from a pallet or similar to more than 1 board. Basically, follow what it says on the drawing and you'll be covered!

Hi just to clear things up. Had a long talk with the designer today and ended up putting boards in different directions due to it being a spread load. He told me that the general rule of thumb is different direction for spread loads and same way for point loading.

Top Bottom