Starting up Business in Australia (1 Viewer)

Rickyt28

Reaction score
G'day,

I plan to start up on my own sometime in the near future in Sydney (I'm English, moved here 2 years ago). I will most likely concentrate first on setting up as a small sub-contractor, with a crew of 4-7 men and just try to keep everyone busy for a year or two until I can expand and win bigger contracts and so on..

Thats the plan for the time being.

I just want to ask any of you out there with experience or knowledge of running your own company for some advice on the do's and dont's of being a small sub contractor.

How much should your Public Liability insurance cover? And how would you best structure the company, for example, pty ltd? I know I would also need workers compensaton, and then there's obligations as an employer to pay things like Super Annuation, and obviously tax, but what else do you need to cover to legitimately employ workers? All of which would contribute to your price.

I have a rough idea of the going rates charged for labour hire in the scaffolding industry around Sydney but I have never yet priced a job myself and would be unsure of what extra costs to include into a price after working out square metreage, etc.

I've heard subbies for WACO on large residential and commercial projects basing their price on 50sqm per man per day erection (kwikstage) and 100sqm per man per day dismantle. Does this reflect the rest of the scaffolding industry? As i'm not sure that realistically you can hit those targets everyday. Well, I know for a fact that i've not been able to hit those targets some days due to on site problems created by other traders or the PC or builder, or times when crane time is limited, etc.

Any information anyone can provide would be very useful. It will be interesting to see if anyone else has similar questions..

Cheers :)

Hi ricki, ditto as above. Dont think you can base your business on british model. Lived in oz a while back. Bloke I worked for paid me a 3rd of his hourly charge. Taking in to account RDO, long leave service stat hols,redundancie 10% from day 1, union affil maybe,etc etc. Havvaspanna lived there recently could set you right blue.lol

Cheers Jeff!

Thanks for the advice Frederik, where a bouts did you live and work over here? Maybe i'll have a chat with Havvaspanna

Top Bottom