Is it a Tower or Independent (1 Viewer)

ray luscott

Reaction score
Here's a conundrum for you, when does a tower become an independent and vice versa. We charge more for a tower (usually per metre /ft high) than a scaffold (charged per square metre or per metre run of lift). I have a client that insists that a 2m x 0.7m wide x 16m high is an independent so they can pay a lower rate. Whats the answer guys, any thoughts will be gratefully received. and pondered over.:confused:

I would say that a tower would become an independent scaffold above 6 meters long when you start using sleeves.

If the scaffolding exceeds 2.4mtrs and carries more than four standards its an independent scaffolding the minimum tower is 1.2mtrs maximum tower 2.4mtrs hope this helps you bud just remember minimum and maximum pal

If it has 4 standards in it, it's a tower,. any more than that is an independent, simples ;)

Never really thought about it .but we do 13'access toers all the time imo think u gotta assume if you require joiners on the width, then its a independant

So a 13ft ladder tower is not a tower then! Why can you not have a 6 or 8 leg tower. Castles and buildings have Towers so what defines a tower?

SCAFFOLD TOWERS

Free Standing Towers

Free standing structures which are self-supporting and do not depend totally on other structures for their rigidity and stability. Three classes of these structures are generally recognised.

1. Light Duty Access Towers

Stationary and mobile for use inside buildings (imposed load not greater than 1.5 kN/M2).

2. Light Duty Access Towers

Stationary and mobile for use in the open (imposed load not greater than 1.5 kN/M2).

3. Heavy Duty Towers

These are always built to design details.

Mobile Towers Only

Joints in standards should only be made with sleeve or parallel couplers.

Wheels or castors not less then 125 mm in diameter and fitted with brakes which cannot be released accidentally should be locked into the base of standards. The safe working load should be marked on the castor wheel.

Access

Ladder should be fixed to narrowest side of the tower, preferable inside the base area. It may be upright or angled. All usual ladder regulations apply.

Mobile and Static Towers

Dimensions will vary according to need, but standards should never be less than 1.2 M or more than 2.7 M apart.

Foot ties should be fixed approximately 150 mm from the bottom of the standards.

Except for the working platform, ledgers and transoms should be fixed to the standards with right angle couplers.

Lifts should not exceed 2.7 M or be greater than the smallest base dimension.

Bracing is in two forms:

1. Plan bracing at the base, the working platform and at alternate lifts.
2. Diagonal bracing to the full height of the scaffold on all four sides.

Plan bracing should be fixed to the standards with right angle couplers. Diagonal bracing should be fixed to the ledgers and transoms by right angle or swivel couplers. The height to base ratio should not be greater than shown below for each type of structure.

Stationary internal tower 4 to 1

Stationary external tower 3.5 to 1

Mobile internal tower 3.5 to 1

Mobile external tower 3 to 1

The recommended maximum freestanding height for static towers is 10.8 M, except that this may be increased to 50 M if it is tied to a structure at 6 M intervals.

The working platform should be fully and closely boarded to an area of at least 1.2 M x 1.2 M.

Transoms should be spaced at not more that 1.5 M intervals.

A distributed load on the platform of a light duty tower should not exceed 1.5 kN/M2.

Guard rails and toe boards will be necessary on all four sides, and the toe boards must rise at lease 150 mm above platform level. Guard rails must be at least 910 mm above the platform width with the distance between the top of the toe board and the guard rail not exceeding 470 mm.

Here's a conundrum for you, when does a tower become an independent and vice versa. We charge more for a tower (usually per metre /ft high) than a scaffold (charged per square metre or per metre run of lift). I have a client that insists that a 2m x 0.7m wide x 16m high is an independent so they can pay a lower rate. Whats the answer guys, any thoughts will be gratefully received. and pondered over.:confused:

I would say that is a tower from your measurements. Although under the current guidance the minimum dimension for a tower is 1.2m as someone has already mentioned.
You are charging per rising foot/metre and any good QS can see that it would be cheaper to pay for an independent.
My suggestion is that you should always allow a minimum rate in your prices be it m3/m2 or whatever. This will cover you for small or narrow jobs which are just as much work usually albeit with less gear.

Last edited:
a Tower consists of 4 standards 1 Bay within the guidelines 2.7m x 2.7m square that is from the comic book TG13, anything outside of them dimensions as 3m long it is 2 bays and now it is an Independent, so tell him to ram it.

Like Phill says, They can call it whatever the hell they like. You as the scaffolding contractor can ask for any price you deem fit, if the client doesn't like the price he can always go for another price....

This is a point that comes up on a regular basis in the UAE so have dealt with it on numerous occasions.
Having read all the answers if I was a Surveyor for a Contractor I am not sure the answer is as clear as it may appear.

Some of the answers refer to towers in their simplest form such as a a 2m x 2m x 6m high be it on wheels or not, I would also consider that the minimum dimension mentioned is in relation to a free standing tower.
A tower can be any height if next to a building and tied it could also vary in its foot print such as a loading tower and a ladder tower perhaps even a support tower.

I have designed many towers with more than 4 legs and with every conceivable mix of dimension for all sorts of different purposes.

I believe; however, that the answer is or should be in your offer and acceptance,
If for instance your offer was, Joe Bloggs Scaffolding intend to provide a scaffold tower of given dimensions and the client accepts this by placing an order for said works then you have indeed supplied a tower. Offer and acceptance forms a contract.

If working from a schedule of rates your schedule should accurately reflect what you intend to build for the rate quoted.

ie- A tied, 4 leg scaffold tower up to and including 2.0mx2.0m on plan including one level of boards with a maximum live load of 0.75kN/mSq = so much per rising meter.

good luck with your issue
regards
Alan

To paraphrase Phillios, call it what you want, the price is still the same.
Nothing worse than pricing a job only for the customer to say 'but such and such do it for x amount'.
If they do it for that much, what are you talking to me for?

I get it all the time stone, usual is this company can do it for X amount, so fu cking use them instead in my opinion it's scaffold firms under cutting each other that cause a lot of problems

Top Bottom