Tg 20:14 question

JD

Reaction score
Hello. I have a question to anyone who has the new tg documents.

What does it say about 3m lifts? I would like to know the tie spacing (every lift?), bay sizes, Ledger bracing (do you need it if you're tying every lift?) And anything else that may be useful to know.

Thanks.

Youd need to imput the height of the scaffold. Location for wind charting & additions like debris net etc b4 you could get a proper answer pm me ur email & details

Surely it will just be the same as two metre lifts? Just... 3 metre lifts... What would be different.. ?

No m8 not according to the data -obviously site dependant but could range between 12-14msq placement -alternative/every lift & tie loads.

Like i said each job is individual & you av to input the dimentions into the complience checker

not looked into the new TG much but from what youve just said southern is it now a programme which you punch in the Data and it gives you the correct (according to nasc) spacings and tie patterns etc.;)
as opposed to the old one which was a book of sorts

yes m8 kind of but its a compliance checker- you have various standard types of scaffold to which you can choose height,width,sheeted/unsheeted etc, location for wind and it will give you a list of things to do to make the scaffold tg complient such as standard spacing &tie loads/pattern but tbh we used to use the previous 20:08 books to work out the same end result. av a look at the youtube videos theyll explain it a little better

Pavement or first lift could be 2.7m high all other lifts have to be 2.0m without a design, ties every 16m2 I thought that's what had to be done. Has it changed in tg20:13 ?

Thanks for replying. I was after general numbers rather than a specific job.

Pavement or first lift could be 2.7m high all other lifts have to be 2.0m without a design, ties every 16m2 I thought that's what had to be done. Has it changed in tg20:13 ?

I have been told 3m lifts are included now.

So no design needed.

I have been told 3m lifts are included now.

So no design needed.
Believe that when you've read it with your own eyes JD.I think the lift height has increased slightly to accommodate lifts with plan braces where the internal braces have to be removed. Three meter lifts seem a bit radical as the braces will be at an angle that to acute to make a difference unless fixed to the handrail ! I'd get a definitive answer before you take the plunge and start building 3m lifts.

According to the eguide 3m lift heights are allowed. & as for bracing you can now come off the handrail if fixed with DCs .

That does surprise me. I presume going back to the original question that the scaffold will either be tied every lift x 4m or 12m2 or every other lift x 4m which would be too much as it would be 24m2 ! If my eguide had turned up I'd be able to see. They were quick enough to charge me and even £10 for p&p .

It only took 2 days to get to me.but was standard delivery which surprised me i thought it would be registered

Just done a sample on TG20:13.

Independent scaffold 30.0m x 10No 3.0m lifts, fully sheeted.

1 x 2.03kN tie per 9.0m2
Max 3.0m between vertical ties, tied every lift
Max 4.0m max horizontal distance between vertical ties
Max bay length 1.50m.

So basically, 1.50m standard centres with ties every lift, every other bay.

I am sure the standard centres will increase without sheeting, but I can't be arsed to check.

Last edited:
I was gonna put the full compliance sheet for a 3m scaffold phil but tbh thought nasc may kick off about it also as youve seen the requiements change as the criterea does & i didnt want someone working to a sample if their scaffold was sheeted or was higher etc- wouldnt wanna be responsible if it went wrong -thats why i told him to pm me & i woulda run it through the checker for him

Just done a sample on TG20:13.

Independent scaffold 30.0m x 10No 3.0m lifts, fully sheeted.

1 x 2.03kN tie per 9.0m2
Max 3.0m between vertical ties, tied every lift
Max 4.0m max horizontal distance between vertical ties
Max bay length 1.50m.

So basically, 1.50m standard centres with ties every lift, every other bay.

I am sure the standard centres will increase without sheeting, but I can't be arsed to check.

Thanks mate.

I was gonna put the full compliance sheet for a 3m scaffold phil but tbh thought nasc may kick off about it also as youve seen the requiements change as the criterea does & i didnt want someone working to a sample if their scaffold was sheeted or was higher etc- wouldnt wanna be responsible if it went wrong -thats why i told him to pm me & i woulda run it through the checker for him

Thanks, I've sent you a pm.

Top Bottom