these guy are taking the p1ss

only time ive heard of fittings falling from height its been kicked off the boards
IE BAD HOUSEKEEPING
THIS KIND OF CRAP HAS ME AT THE END OF MY TETHER:mad:

only time ive heard of fittings falling from height its been kicked off the boards
IE BAD HOUSEKEEPING
THIS KIND OF CRAP HAS ME AT THE END OF MY TETHER:mad:

What if you're building a hangar 1000' off a sky scraper that is over a live, main-line train station in Central London.

Just take the risk?

Ha ha, am I going back to school here? First question would be obviously the standard can we do it another way.

I'm sure it's fun with sleeves, unless you stand behind the static side of a ledger they would come flying off and break your knee caps...:nuts::nuts:

How many members of the construction fraternity, or members of the public for that matter, have ever been struck by a fitting or speared to the ground by a tube in the history of the world on one of these jobs?

Last edited:
Ha ha, am I going back to school here? First question would be obviously the standard can we do it another way.

Probably, yeah.

Just ask if they'll close a station that it used by 55 million people a year whilst you're building a scaffold over it.

Probably, yeah.

Just ask if they'll close a station that it used by 55 million people a year whilst you're building a scaffold over it.

I wasn't suggesting that, but what reduces the risk more, tethering the material or removing people from the affected area?

Probably, yeah.

Most commuter traffic is between 6.00am and 8.00 pm. I don't believe if couldn't be done or at least started when the station was quiet, i.e nights or 4.00am sunday morning and measures or a design put in place to prevent falls of materials.

I wasn't suggesting that, but what reduces the risk more, tethering the material or removing people from the affected area?

I can understand the thinking behind the tethering , but is it not a ball ache attaching the carabina to that extended washer and are you not just as likely to drop the damn fitting trying get it on, especially when it's cold and your hands are a bit numb.

Don't ask me scaffman, I've never tethered a tool in my life. I can see the thinking too but don't rate it much, there's always other options.

Thought long and hard on this one, the addendum to the Traditional Scaffold Coupler Design is a proactive control measure, if the Client specifies a tethering provision, then this is the one to adopt. I can see where the tethering provision would /could be part of a control stratagy for high risk and extremely sensitive locations.

The innovation is simple, economical and effective for the purpose it was conceived, an attempt to control Human error, a horizon award winning innovation me thinks or then again could be a load of :nuts:

Just a passing thought , but will this make the Fan Lift redundant is some respect ???

Think of the sheer expense, in terms of production (or lack thereof). See how the MC adheres to this policy when they're running months behind schedule and are faced with the prospect of hundreds of thousands, possibly millions of pounds in penalties for not meeting the prearranged targets/completion date.
It's another case of back slapping for the 'great minds' that dreamt it up, until that is, it starts costing everyone serious money.

Top Bottom