YES!!! PAYE can get TAX back too!!! (1 Viewer)

BetterTAX

Reaction score
Evening,

I was just re-reading this thread as I did only give it a very quick scan last night and wanted to reply as soon as I could.

http://www.scaffoldersforum.com/scaffolders-forum/32483-tax-rebate-time-year.html

We have been sponsoring this forum for nearly 4 years now so I was really surprised to see so much speculation over claiming tax back when PAYE.

I did explain on that thread that PAYE can claim tax back but thought it might help if I did a thread as a stand alone.

We are pretty much the no: 1 scaffolder tax return tax agents - thanks to being here and having built up what we believe to be a good working relationship with you guys.

Not only that - as explained on the thread - the rigorous "vetting" we have been through with HMRC over this last year also makes us one of the very few tax agents out there recognised as "safe, secure and low risk" by HMRC. It basically means that our working practice is approved and satisfactory.

We may work to strict methods but it means that what we get back for you will be safe. What you don't want is HMRC coming after you in 2 years time because a tax agent out there did things incorrectly - may have got you lots of money back but you will have to pay it back if the tax agent didn't do it properly.

We also have a dedicated compliance person, so if there are any queries from HMRC, that is dealt with as all part of the service - we don't abandon you.

Unfortunately (and its something that appalls us) PAYE are not treated the same as CIS and self employed sole traders - on a number of things.

However, as explained, if you incur genuine work related expenses that you get no reimbursement for, its a probable tax claim. You got to keep receipts (if possible) or at least bank statements. We have been saying this forever so please! Just Do It!!!

Anyway - whatever your employment status - if you have any tax issues at all - call us!! We're always happy to hear from folk on here and on that note, don't be scared to tell us your forum nickname!

happy new year rosie i am up to date with my tax even last years but i have not claimed for 2009/10 and 10/11 i was on paye then now i used better tax last i jan now what do i need ive got no chance of slips and recipts but i can call hmrc for my total earnings would that suvice?

Hi Bobby,

If we have sorted out your tax return for you for 12/ 13 we would have gone back as far as possible (maximum of 4 years) and able to... so I'm not sure what you mean about those previous years?

If you're a client of ours, its no problem us contacting HMRC for previous years' earnings... its supporting the claim that might be problematic.

As I said though, I'm sure we would have discussed those previous years with you to ascertain eligibility to claim back any tax.

Steve will be in the office tomorrow 12 - 3 if you want to clarify it at all?

yes i did like steve top man he was and no i claimed for 11/12 i beleive infact im not to sure now would steve know what i claimed for??? and im sorry rosie 12/13 was done by a mate of mine in the summer but hes logged in the website and filled in the self assesment as if was me so i believe that you are still my registered accountants if you know what i mean

Hi Bobby,

If we didn't do your return for this past year and you "did it yourself", you have probably been de-registered as a client. Its fine to do your own, of course it is, but please let us know so we can keep our records up to date.

You or your mate can access your HMRC account to see what has gone on previously. As you are probably not showing as a client of ours now, we wouldn't be able to see these records any more.

Just as a precautionary note and I don't mean to alarm, but something HMRC were pretty hot on was high returns done by our clients, that in reality had not been done by us but done by themselves (or a mate).

I actually got pretty much all my tax back from my mate onviously i gave him a nice drink and yep i know most charge about 30% of ur winnings think ill do the same again in truth ill have 9 months paye and cis should be 4 months so should be another good session in the wing lol

Hi Rosie, I know you have probably sung the answer to my question from the roof tops and be fed up trying to get your message across, but a mate of mine has read a couple of my posts on here and is convinced I'm wrong.

I have always said, if you have been taken on to a fixed site paye you have no reason to claim a rebate. If you have been taken on to a yard then asked to drive to another site or even multiple sites with no remuneration from the boss, then you do have a claim.

My take on it might be a bit simplistic for complicated tax issues but I would be grateful if you could confirm if I have got it more or less correct.

Thanks
AOM

In relation to paye the employees have as much rights to claim rebates ,just because all ppe is supplied and tax is deducted they are still eligible for tax expense returns wear an tear on their own car/van tools and fuel if mileage is not paid and having someone like better tax on this forum is a blessing even with a quick email to them they can check your tax code.

Hi Rosie, I know you have probably sung the answer to my question from the roof tops and be fed up trying to get your message across, but a mate of mine has read a couple of my posts on here and is convinced I'm wrong.

I have always said, if you have been taken on to a fixed site paye you have no reason to claim a rebate. If you have been taken on to a yard then asked to drive to another site or even multiple sites with no remuneration from the boss, then you do have a claim.

My take on it might be a bit simplistic for complicated tax issues but I would be grateful if you could confirm if I have got it more or less correct.

Thanks
AOM

Although I am not up to date with paying tax in the UK I concur with you Alastair.
If construction workers could claim transport costs for travelling to a fixed site then why not bank and office workers? I would imagine if these floodgates were opened you would end up getting MP's claiming their transport costs for getting to the Houses of Parliament.
I hope you take your friend to task for even doubting your word in the first place!

Morning!

Yes, the travel rules are a bit of a nightmare... You wouldn't believe the HMRC guidance notes where you go round and around and around... I think they think if you get dizzy enough, you'll give up and go away!

OK... its all about temporary workplaces.

If you go to the yard and get in a lorry to go to site - no claim.

If you are expected to get yourself to different sites during the course of your employment, and you get no reimbursement, you can claim.

Then it gets complicated. If you are employed on a fixed term contract to work at one site, then you know from the off that this is where you will need to travel to and so, no claim.

If you are employed but your contract is open and it says you will be expected to work at different sites, provided you don't work at the same site for more than 24 months, then there is a claim.

That's scratching the surface but does address your point, aom :) (good to speak to you!).

Thanks for the comments SCC!

As for MPs... just don't even go there!!!

I will claim I am quite correct as per usual, and take HSWT's advice and take my mate to task for having the audacity to challenge my authority.;)

If you are employed but your contract is open and it says you will be expected to work at different sites, provided you don't work at the same site for more than 24 months, then there is a claim.

The above may give him some hope as that is a new one on me.

So if I was to start a new job that stated on my contract that they may required me to work on different sites even though I didn't work on different sites could I claim for my daily travel?

I see what you mean about complicated.

Yes pal, but if yyour gonna be there for more than 24mths, get your gaffa to ship you else where for a few weeks and then go back....

---------- Post added at 10:26 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:25 AM ----------

I use my car but havnt kept fuel receipts, how do i claim the tax back?.

Yes pal, but if yyour gonna be there for more than 24mths, get your gaffa to ship you else where for a few weeks and then go back....

---------- Post added at 10:26 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:25 AM ----------

I use my car but havnt kept fuel receipts, how do i claim the tax back?.

You can still claim but you may be asked to provide proof.

aom, yes, that's pretty much the gist of it. Expectation is key. You were ready to go to other sites. Its an open contract. Contracts are very important, so make sure, all of you, that you get one.

The 24 month rule is quite specific also... and no, scaffy1980, shipping you off for a few weeks to return at a later date, doesn't necessarily work (as far as I know). That's when the minefield opens up - the guys in the office will give you a better heads up on that one.

Your mileage can be backed up by creating a mileage log of where you were and when, along with MOTs that cover the period. If you can get site supervisors to back up the log, then so much the better. This is something we go through with you, creating the log. Best thing to do, from now on, is have a cheapy diary in the car/ van, and jot down post codes each day/ job.

We are working very hard to make sure the refunds we get back for folk are water-tight. We may go the extra "mile" in evidencing, but that, surely, has to be better than coming a cropper later. HMRC, since last year, have really gone to town in tightening up the self-assessment industry. ALL tax agents should be complying with the more stringent rules and its no secret that HMRC are on to agents that are still flaunting the rules.

I hope I haven't stirred up a bit of a hornets nest here Rosie, my question is more theoretical but I'm still grateful for your input.

---------- Post added at 11:01 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:59 AM ----------

Thanks Rosie, I think I've got it now.

Not so far, aom! Its probably just a matter of time though, eh ;).

I appreciate your question. Gives me something to contribute to, that is hopefully helpful to people. A large percentage of our clients are still scaffolders, onshore and offshore. We really do know what we're doing with y'all!!

Don't worry, I know that. That is why I asked you the question.

I'm just bumping this thread because I have just been asked if someone in full time employment can claim back tax.

As there is still confusion, by bumping this hopefully it will answer some PAYE questions.

Self-assessment tax (which is what it's called when you submit your own tax return) does not mean self-employment!

Top Bottom