Steel Boards? (1 Viewer)

aom

Reaction score
I may have mentioned this before but as far as I can remember I have yet to get an answer.

Why are SGB steel boards for cuplok slightly wider than timber? I asked my own supplier who just said they copied SGB's original dimensions and didn't know why there was a difference.

There must be a reason for it and it's really starting to annoy me almost as much as it does using these things and trying to fit a toe board as well.:mad:

Nah, I'm not having that. There surely must be a rational scaffolding related explanation for it?

All the manufacturers are foreign Den. You may be right but I was expecting something more like the original cuplok trannies were a slightly different size or even just the narrow gauge trannies.

---------- Post added at 05:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:54 PM ----------

What about the loading bays, do they fit them better?

Im nor sure al as i've never used cuplock, but all cuplock jobs i've sern have used normal 13ft boards.

We are the same to be honest Den, but for some reason I reckon I'm in the minority up here. We have always carried timber omega boards for loading bays, stair towers and double hop-up brackets. I have been looking for an alternative for a while but the plastic is expensive and the steel is awkward to transport and store as well as irritating with the differing dimensions.

Timber battens

Look in to the fashioned Sgb Manuel it's explained .how could a plastic board ever con form with cup lock.

We use telescopic hop up brackets al. They sit on your double inside handrail and they go from two - three inside boards.

I haven't got it, it's another version I have hence the question.

Why can't plastic be used for cuplok, I have a few.

---------- Post added at 06:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:10 PM ----------

We use telescopic hop up brackets al. They sit on your double inside handrail and they go from two - three inside boards.

Never used them Den, good for the new builds I would imagine.

When u say wider than timber do you mean the omega or 13ft boards?? If the omega ones the only thing I can think off is the toeboard ie an all omega lift leaves quite a big gap for the toeboard where as the steel ones make a toe fit better if that makes sense al

Yeah sorry Bobby, just the omega boards that I use. Our trannies are perfect for a timber omega bay and an omega toe board, maybe a baw hair big but as long as you fit the toe board first then fit the rest tight against the other they are fine. Using the steel you have to use a 13 foot toe board which to my mind defeats the purpose.

To be honest, that's when we bring out the cuplok, big square block and easy adaptions for the inside board. The new builds have been few and far between round these parts for a while now though.

When I worked at SGB many moons ago, I often wondered the same thing Alistair.
When I asked about it, the reason I was given for the difference was the slight difference between metric and imperial measurements
I'm still not convinced its the real reason

It could be I suppose Dass but as you say, I doubt it. Just seems a strange anomaly.

Might it be the width of the original roll of steel the boards came of neatly worked out before pressing added up to that , if thats correct you should get a tattoo of my name across your forhead backwards aom, then everytime you look in the mirror in an independent scotland you will always remember an englishman was your god !:D

I hope to fook that's wrong Joe. :laugh:

Top Bottom