cads,designs,tg20 08 (1 Viewer)

dangeruss

Reaction score
I thought I would share this information from the team at CADS who produce smartscaff, we had a bit of a rant about fans,etc needing designs, we had conflicting views as to whether they did or not,seems like the CADS team have seen the forum, actioned,and responded and here's their answer, the whole thread is on the estimating section,worth a look .Good for them 10/10

My name’s Terry, and I’m one of the designers of the CADS SMART Scaffolder software.
I expect that you can understand why I haven’t rushed into a public debate about our
software (and I hope that Richard from our support team has been helpful in
answering your questions directly), but we do work very hard on it, and I certainly
want you all to like it, so I hope that this reply is helpful...

Our aim is to help anybody using our software to be safely covered by TG20, because
it’s very easy to misinterpret it and unintentionally not comply.

The cantilever fans discussed on this thread are a really good example: even though
they’re included in TG20, they’re described in the ‘Special Scaffolds’ section,
which means that they need to be designed. It’s really easy to read the advice in
this section of TG20, which is for scaffold designers, and assume that they don’t
need to be designed. We’ve been very fortunate because we’ve been able to work with
members of the TG20 Technical Committee, who have really helped to make sure that
the guidance from the software is correct.

Another aspect that we’re aiming to help with is that TG20 is changing – there is a
new set of guidance (‘TG20 Appendix H’) on tying scaffolds to open structures. We
have a new version of SMART Scaffolder (coming out today!) that includes this new
guidance, so again we’re trying to help you to be compliant as simply as possible.
Without using software, you need to keep up-to-date with the new guidance and work
it out for yourself, which takes a lot of time!

One more feature of the new version of the software is an option to automatically
design many types of independent scaffolding that fail the TG20 check, using the
design calculations in TG20 Volume 2. This means that a lot of scaffolds that fail
TG20 can be automatically passed using the checks in the new version of SMART
Scaffolder. You can print out a calculation that justifies the scaffold, which you
can send to a designer to be checked, if you wish.

So, we’re aiming to help you to understand the (fairly complicated) TG20 guidance,
avoid accidentally failing to comply, and automatically design some scaffolds that
aren’t TG20 ‘Basic Scaffolds’ and save seeking engineering advice.

I hope that this is a helpful reply, but if you’d like to know more, please let me
know.

Terry

The forum is being taken notice of.***************

maybe nuf said but the target is consultation & involvement as we have to work with it !!!!!!

Ragscaff:sick:

Top Bottom