Impact Wrench/Gun

Ellon941

Reaction score
I know its been posted here before, but i can find the thread!
It is very early days, but I am looking at the possibility of using battery operated impact wrench/gun for scaffolders offshore/oil & gas terminals.
I realise the equipment will need to be intrinsically safe (just like any other battery operated equipment) & the currently used toll will probably not comply.
Would appreciate if someone could copy a link for me for the "best" tool curently being used.

Thanks,

Trevor

I know its been posted here before, but i can find the thread!
It is very early days, but I am looking at the possibility of using battery operated impact wrench/gun for scaffolders offshore/oil & gas terminals.
I realise the equipment will need to be intrinsically safe (just like any other battery operated equipment) & the currently used toll will probably not comply.
Would appreciate if someone could copy a link for me for the "best" tool curently being used.

Thanks,

Trevor

Thought you said you could find the thread. Lol

Mak for me as well but considering the enviroment you'll be using it in think your gonna need a brushless model such as the panasonic.

A lot of reading with this one. I was going to mess you around and tell you not to go for the gay gun as quite a few on here still think it's for the weak. I think they are the future if used correctly and for me the daddy is the makita.

http://www.scaffoldersforum.com/scaffolding-tools-ppe/5693-calling-all-impact-wrench-users.html

The makita is a decent tool, but in my opinion the Milwaukee fuel is far superior.

3 different torque settings and a brushless motor, plus a 3 year warranty on the main unit and the batteries.

I've owned both and much prefer the milwaukee.

To be honest I have never used one. I think I was put off a bit by the huge advertised torque on the early ones that could take a truck wheel off in formula 1 fashion. The brushless option does sound good but I think all the rest have that now. I suppose we all just prefer which ever tool we are used to using so the best advice I could give to someone thinking about investing in one is just get any one as long as you can either service and repair them yourself or the manufacturer offers a good service you have nothing to lose.

Give hilti a miss though, by far the worst service I have had in a while.

Makita or milwalkee there the best two on the market, i own them both and there both great. Theres pro's and cons to them all, its whats gonna suit your enviroment.

To be honest I have never used one. I think I was put off a bit by the huge advertised torque on the early ones that could take a truck wheel off in formula 1 fashion. The brushless option does sound good but I think all the rest have that now. I suppose we all just prefer which ever tool we are used to using so the best advice I could give to someone thinking about investing in one is just get any one as long as you can either service and repair them yourself or the manufacturer offers a good service you have nothing to lose.

Give hilti a miss though, by far the worst service I have had in a while.

Absolutely.

I do prefer my Milwaukee but as you say the Mak is a decent bit of kit too.

In the mid 80s I used to work for Westminster scaffolding and most of their men had the big ben long handled spanners and the fittings you had to swing on them to crack them I have stripped quite a few jobs where men use the impact wrenches and this is a clear case of deja vu too much torque on the fittings too much strain on the wrists come to the conclusion where I don't give a dam anymore scaffolding as been around for centuries and heavy manual handling will sooner or later put you in the ground pushing daisies up

Do Bosch do one? They seem to be into everything else. What about DeWalt for that matter?

No, I sent a fella on his advanced with mine to show them what they are all about armed with a 4 page risk assessment but they wouldn't have it. Fear and ignorance is still running the trade.

---------- Post added at 11:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:59 PM ----------

Do Bosch do one? They seem to be into everything else. What about DeWalt for that matter?

Dewalt do them, not sure what they are like though.

Hmmm Put on the nut. Sqeeze trigger. Beware, this tool runs 2 ways.

Did you see SP's finger. All the ammo you would need really, that and the torque issue but then you would need to regulate the torque on a spanner as well.

Top Bottom