Umbrella Companies (1 Viewer)

but if your self employed that happens you get work you dont that a risk of been selfemplyed

I'm self employed
Never had to use an umbrella company
Never used an agency
I like all the money I earn
If you sell a car would you give the buyer 50 quid to get the money for the car
Of course not

I'm self employed
Never had to use an umbrella company
Never used an agency
I like all the money I earn
If you sell a car would you give the buyer 50 quid to get the money for the car
Of course not

maby there is a diffrence with been self employed working labur only or self employed with your own companie i have no idea

If you work for an agency on a self employed basis and have a verified UTR no. why do you need to go through an umbrella company?
Will someone explain please?

Gary, the boys are right umbrella companies are leeches. No good to the self employed whatsoever.

The way i had it explained to me swifty via hudson is that due to the employment rules changeing from SE60s &714s many people who believe themselves to be self employed actually arnt in the eyes of hmrc there's 5 main critea that needs to be met, simply having a utr number is not one of them, thats just proof & type of how u actually pay ur tax.
Taking financial risk, having PLI, invoiceing for your work, not receiving an hourly rate-these off the top of my head a a few.
It appears that companies such as Hudson through a binding contract with the self employed person can meet all the critea & keep the person in the eyes of hmrc as legally self emloyed & so lower both theirs & their employers liability to both the taxman & NIC.
If hmrc audit/investigate a person claiming to be self employed & it decides theyre not,then that person is responsible for all the NIC @ the higher rate that they would have had deducted under paye -which can be backdated up to 7years & often runs into thousands for both the employer & the worker

Last edited:
Must be loads of threads about this , we know it aint right but dont have a choice

Always thought that as well as the interest from all the workers wages the payco must make some skin at end of tax year , do my rebate myself dont pay for it

Spose thay must but tbh i think hudson charge as little as £20per person & for that they get a generic PlI which would normally cost £1200ish for a sole trader, there invoicing done a cis deduction statement all submitted to hmrc along with there tax return submitted & full legal aid cover against any suit that hmrc may try & take them to court - in actuall fact i think hudson are the only company to take them on & win which then became a set precedent for future cases- they use this as a point when selling themselves that when hmrc try to investigate someoneb& find that hudson are their agent ,that they dont follow it through due to little chance of winning against them

Thats a fair point when you consider the PLI and what it would cost the worker , was quoted about 640 once and that was only upto 20 or30 metres high.

Thanks everybody, did'nt expect to generate so much debate, just looking for a reliable company to use. For what its worth, the umbrella route works for me. Yes, I pay a weekly fee but it is easily compensated by the tax savings I gain which I get weekly. I know there are many and varied routes for getting your pay, but this works for me (when the cretins actually process my expenses - hence original post). Thanks again all who contributed.

It's a big shame, that the administration of wages has been capitalised on. I'm not 100% sure but "self employment" is only a tax reference. and companies/agencies refuse to take a genuine invoice from "workers" to elude the tax man as to having employees. When somebody does work for somebody else, it creates employee/employer relationship. people mostly win in tribunal for lost holiday pay, bank holidays, etc when they finally take action. the self employment con has been running for years and this umbrella payroll company combination is an additional notch against fair treatment and honest payment. In short I've found members of these companies to be total wretches, a displeasure to converse with, and as someone suggested earlier, to have the ambition and determination of a dirty, bloodsucking leech. I've had just over 10 years in this game, so still a baby.

Nice to see similar posts about this subject.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom