Ladder bay. (1 Viewer)

1969scaff

Reaction score
Right lads while I'm on line quick question.What is the correct size gap for an internal ladder? Been a bit of a problem on site,couple of fat arsed brickies say the hole is to small (two boards wide) can we make it three? Not sure on the current regs.Scaffold is five boards wide with two inside.

should be 2 boards wide but some people go 3 boards wide i would say depends on the site,company or contractor.Ive been on sites where its 2 boartds and the site manager has asked for a extra board taken out as long as there is a trap door on there as well.

No trap doors,having to put ladder gates on each lift internally,another thing for the brickies to moan about( do they go on a special "Moaning course")

Normally 500mm with a trap fitted or whatever is reasonalbly practical- can allways use a swiwal coral around the entry point...if they dont like that tell em to pay ya for a strcse

hahaha,its not just the sites I go on then,had some, by the book roofers a while ago,started to quote rules and regs to me,so I obliged them by putting everything on the scaffold I could think of,lifted the loading bay by a foot,telling them that if I did,the forks couldn't get there slates on it,they new best,put an internal ladder on it,two boards wide ,with trap door.
the roofer that give me a hard time was three boards wide.ive never laughed so much in my life.they didn't complain about one thing on the next house.
horses for courses.

Ladder access has a minimum width for openings and no maximum. The removal of a third board in a five board wide scaffold may however give you a problem with the minimum width for a working platform.

You could always built a ladder tower at the side. We' ve just started a site for wilmot dixon and they stipulate that every scaffold should have a ladder bay. Pain in the arsse but better than staircase's as you cant get then in all the time.

I always thought it was " as small as is practical " tell the fat ar se brickie to loose some weight

450mm is the recommended access gap however if a request is made by the client and there is no ladder trap door to be fitted but an internal hand rail around the ladder access and a swing gate fitted you may go 3 boards wide putting the ladder central to the hole in question but this must go through the client in question it as to go on the risk assessment an method statement which goes under an additional request classed as a special if you participate on doing this on your own behalf get yourself a shovel mate because if there is an accident your in deep sheet hope this thread is self explanatory ps ladder access will soon be a thing of the past mate stair treads are going to be mandatory very soon and if the scaffold in question will not suffice a stair tread then it will be automatically under design .

Thanks lads,will keep it two boards and give the brickies Weight Watchers address.

The impact on prices is going to be huge,who foots the bill for all these changes?Higher costs to contractors or lower wages for scaffs?No prize for guessing which one!!!

somewhat organised chaos bud I couldn't agree more and while were on a subject of madness this feckin step you are expected to put your handrail in on this feckin 400mx400m square bellocks if this is so why the fek carnt you stand on a full deck of boards and put the handrail in

Cos its the nasc thinking their full of great ideas when there full of shiit instead. I've never fallen working off a full deck of boards whilst installing handrail, yet i've slipped off them fecking steps to many fecking times.

Isn't min working platform 3 boards?would have to have the scaffold 6 boards wide instead of 5 if you gave them 3 board wide ladder access.tell the fat egg on legs to stop stuffing his big fat bulbous face with doughnuts.

Don't get me started on fuccin steps.Working with a dwarf last week."I cant reach the handrail off the steps,can we lower it" Jesus wept,didn't help matters trying to put stop ends and return handrails on doubles.Must admit I am at full stretch trying to get them on doubles.Can someone explain the logic of putting stop ends on doubles?

We put return handrails on doubles to make the corner stronger, however if you use band n plate on your corner ledgers you can return your handrail on singles. The last two jobs weve done has been designed like this.

I can understand that on one but why on both stop ends? Where's the strength in the rest of the job if it's say 100ft long? Surely that's down to bracing? That's what give a scaffold it's strength? Beats me how all the scaffolds I have erected over 40 years ever stayed up!!Remember there where no handrails on non working lifts years ago.

Top Bottom