SGB Wembley yard (2 Viewers)

Mick1963

Reaction score
Would be grateful if anyone had any info on Bill Codd,Mick Burk,Terry Banks,John Ely & Albert McKenna. I worked along side them in early 80's for SGB Wembley Yard. I was on the tools with Bill Codd & Mick Burk,two great blokes.taught me a lot & were always concerned if I got my leg over at weekend lol.John Ely was yard foreman and I ended up hating pink paint(spent time painting fittings and boards etc).Albert was the wagon driver spent time with him picking up from sites(made my life hell at time).Couple of other names come to mind Pat Sheehan and Billy Buttress.Terry was my manager if memory serves me right.
Any info would be appreciated.Regards Mick

Would be grateful if anyone had any info on Bill Codd,Mick Burk,Terry Banks,John Ely & Albert McKenna. I worked along side them in early 80's for SGB Wembley Yard. I was on the tools with Bill Codd & Mick Burk,two great blokes.taught me a lot & were always concerned if I got my leg over at weekend lol.John Ely was yard foreman and I ended up hating pink paint(spent time painting fittings and boards etc).Albert was the wagon driver spent time with him picking up from sites(made my life hell at time).Couple of other names come to mind Pat Sheehan and Billy Buttress.Terry was my manager if memory serves me right.
Any info would be appreciated.Regards Mick

Hi Mick,
I would guess Terry was Terry Barnes (pickles was his nick name)
Worked with Don Battley as supervisors
Banks Was Bill Banks (Basher Banks) Died of cancer some years ago.

Not Sure but I think Albert also died of cancer
Jon Ely moved to Lingfield for awhile.

I remember them all well
regards
Alan

There was a guy I knew called john ely but he died 3 or 4 years ago. Think he fell overboard while fishing alone.

When I started sgb 10 year ago John Ely was the yard foreman at kings cross used to drop me home and everything proper took me under his wing top top man

He used to call everyone percey. Think he was working for Gemini riteway out of Horsham before he died. That's if its the same john ely.

My most vivid memory of John Ely go's back to around 1985. He had this very nice collie he had got as a pup. The dog was I suppose about a year old when on his way to work one morning he stopped at a shop on the way to work. Only in the shop a few moments, when he returned to the car the dog had been stolen. He was down for weeks after that. He never saw the dog again.

You boys might remember tony fisher,john magowan and wally they were legends at sgb I was in the yard with em for months I even bumped into Vic jagger on sat with the boys lol

There was a Wally Barrett at Kings Cross, he was the yard foreman went to his funeral in the 80's.

John saw many managers come and go thro the Abbeydale Rd Branch in his time there.
Peter Heath
Peter Ball
Bill Banks
Gordon Vincent
Brian Clarke
Andy Pearcy

I am sure I have missed a couple but John out lasted them all.

peter ball was my dad

Hi Peter
I knew your dad and uncle Podger at Brighton for a good few years, both good men and both very well respected in SGB.

An age of characters long past and missed.

regards
Alan

---------- Post added at 03:07 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:05 AM ----------

There was a Wally Barrett at Kings Cross, he was the yard foreman went to his funeral in the 80's.

John saw many managers come and go thro the Abbeydale Rd Branch in his time there.
Peter Heath
Peter Ball
Bill Banks
Gordon Vincent
Brian Clarke
Andy Pearcy

I am sure I have missed a couple but John out lasted them all.

Forgot:
Keith Williams and Dave Higgins

Word is Harsco have sold the scaffolding side of their business.

I remember Albert the lorry driver, big paddy used to take his dog everywhere. Did you know Carl Willybonn (German fella)or was he at the Heathrow depot ?
We did a load of subcontract work for them at Graham park (nice place, not!)

Top Bottom