SGB Wembley yard (3 Viewers)

you are going back mate I remember pickles he was supervisor banks was the manager ely was yard foreman bill cod used to pick us up from the digs must have bheen 1981 or so worked on sheds opposite the the yard , crest hotel , and tower block in Wembley somewhere

Hi Mick,
I would guess Terry was Terry Barnes (pickles was his nick name)
Worked with Don Battley as supervisors
Banks Was Bill Banks (Basher Banks) Died of cancer some years ago.

Not Sure but I think Albert also died of cancer
Jon Ely moved to Lingfield for awhile.

I remember them all well
regards
Alan

i remember Jon Ely very well when i was working in yard at Canning Town . this was in 2007 and i remember that he use to have a lot of time off - due to ''stress '' and in that year he retiered . i remember another guy that use to work for Sgb all his live : John McCann ( there were stories about him that use to be the strongest scaffolder on the firm when he was young ) . another old fella was Doka ( this was his nickname i think ) he had a son Barry , scaffolder aswell .

---------- Post added at 06:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:30 PM ----------

Peter Kelly did he have 3 sons that are all scaffolders?

yes . and i heard that they have a scaffolding firm now .

yep i remember docker ...worked with him at wimbledon tennis ...them the oval cricket ground ....beamwork after beamwork ...... all in steel ( yikes !!!!!!!)....was always told he took the drawings of the jobs he was doing down his local club and show them his work whilst having a pint on a sunday

Bill Codd

Would be grateful if anyone had any info on Bill Codd,Mick Burk,Terry Banks,John Ely & Albert McKenna. I worked along side them in early 80's for SGB Wembley Yard. I was on the tools with Bill Codd & Mick Burk,two great blokes.taught me a lot & were always concerned if I got my leg over at weekend lol.John Ely was yard foreman and I ended up hating pink paint(spent time painting fittings and boards etc).Albert was the wagon driver spent time with him picking up from sites(made my life hell at time).Couple of other names come to mind Pat Sheehan and Billy Buttress.Terry was my manager if memory serves me right.
Any info would be appreciated.Regards Mick

Hi Mick, I worked with Bill Codd (butterball) :bigsmile: in the mid 80`s on the M25 at waltham abbey, I worked with him for about 18 months he was a great bloke to work with and if Bill is still about he must be in his 70`s now regards Martin.

Bill Codd, Gorden(Hitler) Vincent, Pickles and Albert there some names from the past, I worked out of Wembley and Bedfont depots with Barry Bark in the early 80's and I remember old Freddy Theobold

I remember all of them from the yard in Canning Town . Also when I was there on my first day I was send by Wally to work with Joh McCann - big ginger beard . And there was another guy that youse to come when they were doing the stock check. Doka murrel if I writes right

Top Bottom