4 - 5 tonne rated loading bay?

bjtscaff

Reaction score
Hi,
I would like some advice on a 2.4m x 4.8m loading bay rated between 4-5 tonne using Kwikstage scaffold 4.5m in height.

ledgers every metre?
steel boards, timber boards opp. direction and ply?
ledger transoms?
How much bracing?
plan bracing?
would 4 x 1.2m x 2.4m bays meet this rating?

Cheers

Desighn,desighn,desighn....dont be so tight get a proper set of drwgs done put their cost onto the price of the scaffold for the client to pay then hey presti u not only got a generic set for future use but can share it on the forum

As it's a system job, the first port of call I'd recommend would be the manufacturers documents/design brochures or a call to Kwikstage Tech. department. They should be able to tell you the limitations you can work with.

As a thought though; I have a feeling that you'll struggle to get your transoms spanning 2.4m for a loading bay. Not without them being at ridiculously close centers.

Thanks Einstein ; )

my engineer is on leave so I am doing the drawing myself and the site structural eng. will sign off. Cheers for helpfull advice anyway.

---------- Post added at 08:36 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:33 AM ----------

Thanks nick.

I have 1.2, 1.8 & 2.4 ledger transoms and transoms

What is it you're actually supporting? Its very rare that the load will actually be evenly spread over the scaffold unless its wet concrete. Kwikstage is made from low grade steel so you'll probably need ladder beams at the top with traditional tube and fitting as transoms. If the load is evenly spread the load per m² over that area would be around 4.3 kN/m² which I don't think kwikstage will take using standard components - There is also very little information available for kwikstage so it'll be impossible to work out whether or not the scaffold is strong enough.

Morning bjtscaff,
biffo is on the right track here.
You need to know what the load looks like...
What size is it on plan, is it A UDL or is it a set of point loads?
Is it mechanically loaded is so this increases the load..

Again kwikstage is a little long in the tooth for heavy work poor steel plus age and rust = bad combination.
You need more information to develop a design for this job.

I gave advice recently on a similar post for loading tower, you might look it up if you think it helpful.

Regards
Alan

Solution.
-top boxed out with 2.4 truss transoms
-plan braced
-ledgers every metre
-steel boards
-100mm x 150mm LVL bearers opposite direction @ 300mm centres
-form ply decking

Hi
It might also be an idea to double the standards up with tube and fitting standards, this should reduce the risk of the standards buckling given the load you are placing on it.

Unless you know what the load footprint is it all becomes a bit of a guessing game.
Throwing kit in just in case is not always the best way to make a living.
regards
Alan

Top Bottom