Estimating/ performance

scaffdar

Reaction score
Hi guys, this isn't really my department but a while ago an old gaffer started taking me through elementary estimating - pitfalls of meterage etc. But he gave me the basics on target work rates for lads per lift etc. But it's been that long I've forgotten most of it. At the time it seemed a little low ( i think he said something like 6.2M/hr target rate for base lift and 7-8M/hr 2nd and 3rd lift - erecting time only, not labour for bumping out) - based on a couple of changing variables like advanced/ intermediate guard rails etc. I find it hard to believe that the old time and motion studies averaging 50M/ day can still be acheived for smaller companies not involved in Civils etc. Can anyone PM me with a few brief ideas or links for information? I'm not an estimator and have no intention of moving back in that direction for anyone concerned - cheers guys for any help in advance

Hi mate your old boss as just about covered everything in regards to the meterage rate but I ask myself the same question how can you make it pay it is quite simple some companies will just tell the lads to work quicker and dangle the carrott to cover the extras.
This is what I did but I cannot speak for everyone else on my rate format I increased my labour rate by 0.5 thus covering all additional extras its quite obvious some other companies will out gun you on the price iam afraid the way the economy is its dog eat dog.
Or you could give the lads a little more on there target it really is a two headed snake with all the heath & safety there are meterage formats out there I used cad step but this very expensive you can get a format for your costs they are ten a penny out there I may have one on a old disc all I can say scaffs will tell you the same more money more mtrs.
But the way things are going it wont be long before target work is eliminated from the industry and a schedule of rates are in place with this h&s all over the job, if they get there way you wont be able to fart in the street without having a cosh permit in your presence hope this helps you all the best scc

Thanks for the help - I know about peice work and rates etc. and the HSE's disapproval - but I suppose any company can simply monitor their own guy's performance. Short of implementing something timely, I was just after a brief confirmation of average target rates in meters per lift - not so much pricing. I know on constricted and complex jobs sometimes performance is measured on fittings per hour to measure consistency but I'm trying to give a push in the right direction. Is 6ish M/hr an acceptable rate for basing out and 7-8 above that (when not topping out)?

yes mate if your using tube and fit but if your using other systems like ready lock transoms ie dog bones you will have no problems in raising this to 40ft an hour just depends on what system you use some are faster than others but not as conventional as tube & fit.
In my opinion ready locks are your fastest form of erection and my men were knocking out between 30 to 50 ft per hour on straight run base outs but come Wednesday this dropped due to men starting to slow down but not all jobs are straight runs it can all depend on access shape distance if your more than 5mtrs away from the truck then your footage will drop as I said it can be a two headed snake surveying the site is essential every time it can take one hold up and before you know it your into your prophet if you remember this was my golden rule survey distance shape of building you will be ok all the best scc

Top Bottom