supervisors responsibility Duty of Care (1 Viewer)

poacher turned gamekeeper

Reaction score
I have came into contact with several old school industrial Dinosaur Scaffold Supervisors of late who are so out of touch it's shocking can't work a computer understand the legal requirement for Risk assessments, method statements, W@H SSOW or even demondstrate a basic understanding of SG4 10 or TG 2008:confused: These dinosaurs are walking a thin blue line if the **** hits the fan the man with the curly wig will sentence these out of touch individuls under HSWA 1974;)

Supervisors take the Kings shilling albeit some through Nepatism as opposed to Being Competent ie knowledge, experience and qualifications:idea:

Point being Supervisors have enhanced roles and resposibilitys and are accoutable, move with the times this is the new millennium reeducate yourselfs legislation will win every time the Health and Safety Executive are the supervisors Crown Court

Maybe the firms that employ these lads should make sure that they have the relevant qualifications and knowledge required when they interview them, instead of just sending them out to hound the lads and get the job done ASAP.

Phill these guys are all grandfather rights assessed route to entry, all you get out of them is it's all up ere whilst tapping their heads.

Wake up smell the coffee scaffolder under their Supervion falls, and results in a fatality ( god forbid) they would be accoutable having no W@H SSOW or risk assessment!!! They put them to work HASWA 1974.

Food for thought eh???

Thats why the smsts & sssts courses exhist grandfathers rights should not even come into it - untill u learn the full extent of your responsiblities & liabilities as a supervisor you stand a real chance of going to jail or a 20k fine at the very least

If an accident were to happen it wouldn't neccessarily be the Supervisor thats ending up in front of the judge. Remember the health and safety at work act says the employer has to provide adequate training, this extends to his supervision ???? So if his supervision are not adequately trained then the employer has failed in his duty of care

Last edited:
That's correct Southern, the PTG have gone to the dark side and is fully aware and trying to put the message across to all them Old school Scaffolding Industrial Dinosaur Supervisors!

If you don't discharge your duty of care you will be at the mercy of Civil law!!! Where the balance of probabilities beyond reasonable doubt is easlier to prove than behind all reasonable doubt (criminal Law)

If an accident were to happen it wouldn't neccessarily be the Supervisor thats ending up in front of the judge. Remember the health and safety at work act says the employer has to provide adequate training, this extends to his supervision ???? So if his supervision are not adequately trained then the employer has failed in his duty of care

Ignorance of your dutys are not a valid defence even the little cogs can stop a clock from working

Thats why the smsts & sssts courses exhist grandfathers rights should not even come into it - untill u learn the full extent of your responsiblities & liabilities as a supervisor you stand a real chance of going to jail or a 20k fine at the very least
The biggest problem that I see in the current day is that the CISRS will let a part 1/2 & anyone else who wishes to attend go for their scaffolding supervisor card!! & they will pass it.

Ignorance of your dutys are not a valid defence even the little cogs can stop a clock from working

. You really need to read the HASAWA and look at HSE prosecutions. Nine out of ten prosecutions are made for breeching section 2.1 "It shall be the duty of every employer to ensure, so far as is reasonably practicable, the health, safety and welfare at work of all his employees."
Its also your employers duty to follow section 2.3 "the provision of such information, instruction, training and supervision as is necessary to ensure, so far as is reasonably practicable, the health and safety at work of his employees;"

Key words "training and supervision.

now if the employer can prove the supervisor has been fully trained then the supervisor may well be prosecuted , but it would be very unlikely as most companies will fall down on the strength of their H&S Policy , risk assessments and method statements. THE HSE know that they will win the majority of cases going for the employer under section 2.1

Last edited:
At scaff 38....

Which i think is complete bullsh1t.. personally i think you should hold an advanced card for at least 3 years and be scaffolding at least 10-15 yrs. As by then you should have gained enough experience and knowhow to become a supervisor.

It is a joke really , I was on my supervisors course with 2 guys from uae who had never scaffolded in there life but they still passed , it's designed not to fail and the course instructor will make sure they don't fail

Courses, training certificates all this comes above natural selection?

Ability
Aptitude
Experience

Mixed with a bit of pride in the job = supervisor

We are all starting to believe the nasc and all the rule makers, who make shed loads from courses, inductions, refreshers and god knows what else are improving our or any other profession.

It's Common f***ing sense and the self serving era of the course needs to stop, its just plain dangerous that companies believe your a better man after 14 coffees and a few penguin biscuits.

All this legal dung is without a shadow of a doubt a more dangerous scenario than a caravan full of pikeys being visited by a tv license inspector, unless he's chuck norris, of course!

You know its to do with insurance flannel, its education and not skills now. Tho it wouldnt hurt for some of these dinasours to go on a course or 2.

Agree Frederick , it's also for the companies that put the supervisor in place to ensure they get adequate training. Half of them don,t do courses though because they will get embarrassed when they can't answer the questions .

Lol,been there done that, done the smsts few years back,tho elf n safty based did clarify structure. And funnily enough indirectly lost me my a job debating regs with my immediate supa. fukin dinasor.:amazed::D

from a scaffs perspective i would probably preffer a Dinosaur to a DONKEY with the courses
am i alone:eek:

No, You Are Most Definetly Not Happy,I To Would Prefer A Supervisor Who Knows Precisely What Me And Him Are Talking About Rather Than Someone With A Shed Load Of Qualifications And No Practical Knowledge.

So True Scaffy, Because As We All Know Knowledge Dispels Fear.

Top Bottom