HSE – Fee For Intervention Served on Individuals

I learnt about the change in the law reguarding this fining a couple of weeks ago & the fees for intervention & tbh its scary shiiit i dont think many of the guys realise the full conceqences of it.
Hse have always had the power to shut a site with a prohibition notice etc but they can stop u unannounced & issue you with either a instant fine of take you to court where they will amass additional costs @ £125ph for all the time it took them while making a case against you . The fine may be capped but their cost arnt & will run into thousands. Even a small thing like working without ur harness on while on a street job or little private or someone puttin a video of you on youtube bombing can now cost u money & a lot of it....but if you do do everthing by the book then its of no worry , but if u think u dont need ur ppe just cos ur on a tea & biscuit job then ur likely to get a bit of a shock.all revenue they generate will stay with them & not be passed onto central gov. So their payrises will depend on catching more or us out- the more they catch the richer they get ...

Unfortunately you are correct.

Where I work currently work a multi multi million pound job the old shipyard mentality ain't something the PTG as experienced on my travels before albeit now in a management position, I was a blue book Scaffolder maybe not as quick as a street scaffolder but certainly more proud OCD type every thing was straight plum checked.

Must admit weren't to impressed with the north sea offshore standards either, Brilliant Hangers and good lads,had all the correct gear inertia blocks harnesses but no SG4 10 because it's not really applicable or easy to implement offshore, the boys could hang by there ******** all day in between breaks also with standby boat on hand and had all the gear retrievable inertias ete and valid (RAMS).

Point being the bigs players have to train you according to the health and safety law of the land HASWA 1974 Harness training inc inspection, rope and wheel, asbestos awareness, Manual handling, Work @ Height, traffic management ie banks man.

that's without going into Nuclears sites IOSH working safely, Safety Passports power generation and Oil & Gas.

is your company training you?????????????????????????....

No offence PTG, 95% of street scaffs put up pucker work it's just they don't stick their heads so far up their arses as some industrial scaffs do (sic) And most of them are failed street scaffs anyway. They just like keeping dry.

Swiftly rand is these so called competent big companies over a 100 men aren't training then and even worse tell them how to build a job cos they are been ere for years got photos to prove to significant near misses recently near fatal only luck enuf said concerned

I learnt about the change in the law reguarding this fining a couple of weeks ago & the fees for intervention & tbh its scary shiiit i dont think many of the guys realise the full conceqences of it.
Hse have always had the power to shut a site with a prohibition notice etc but they can stop u unannounced & issue you with either a instant fine of take you to court where they will amass additional costs @ £125ph for all the time it took them while making a case against you . The fine may be capped but their cost arnt & will run into thousands. Even a small thing like working without ur harness on while on a street job or little private or someone puttin a video of you on youtube bombing can now cost u money & a lot of it....but if you do do everthing by the book then its of no worry , but if u think u dont need ur ppe just cos ur on a tea & biscuit job then ur likely to get a bit of a shock.all revenue they generate will stay with them & not be passed onto central gov. So their payrises will depend on catching more or us out- the more they catch the richer they get ...

do you think it could create a parking warden culture?

do you think it could create a parking warden culture?

Definitely , it already has done the HSE issued 1,419 invoices in the first two month period (October/November 2012) with a total value of £727,644. Around 70% were for sums between £200 and £500.

Agree With Double Standards, It Has Already Done So, You Know Something Gents I Started In The Construction Industry When Men Were Treated Like Men, (All Right No One In There Right Mind Wants Anyone To Be Injured Or Killed At There Work) But We Do A Job That By Its Very Nature Is Dangerous, And We Have To Be Able To Do It , Not Be So Wrapped In Bubble Wrap That You Cant Do The Job. I Was Always Taught To Erect A Scaffold Progressively And Safely, Now With Sg4 10 The Method Of Work I Have Been Using For Thirty Five Years Is Redundant, Everything Gets Erected From Below It Hacks Me Off, It Takes Twice As Long And Is Quite Dangerous. Maybe Im Just Getting Older Maybe Not (But If One More Spotty Faced Trainee Site Manger Tells Me To Hook On Ten Feet Off The Ground Ill Ram My Hook Up His Nose)

You have to remember that the health and safety at work act as been around since 1974 so the legal requirements of the employer isn't something new. Things have tightened up due to the claims culture and the no win no fee culture. This has had an impact throughout all business's on time schedules , pricing etc etc . Piece work as virtually disappeared as people tend to cut corners , not just the scaffold industry either. So what are we left with to get our money back , feign injury if you cut your finger and your employer hasn't given you any gloves . £1000 in the bank, then your employers insurance goes up. The only people winning at the end of the day are solicitors and insurance companies.

all fines are high enough to hurt you,but not so high that they wont be paid.
Is there some sort of scale?

He was from Outer Mongolia. That's the only place that hasn't heard of the WAH regs.

nope , there is others i proofed the safety harness of three men to find the d ring fixed to the rear with cable ties :::::::: when i have more respect for these mens lives than themselves

Top Bottom