HSE – Fee For Intervention Served on Individuals

SWIFTY

Reaction score
A new development .....HSE – Fee For Intervention Served on Individuals September 3rd, A Fee For Interv was recently served on an individual, employed as a scaffolder, working on a Housing project.

The HSE Inspector was driving by the site when he noticed the scaffolder working without edge protection, or another method that would prevent him from failing.

The Inspector spoke directly to the scaffolder, explaining what he had observed and the breach in legislation which the scaffolder had made. The result was that the scaffolder was personally issued with an Enforcement Notice and fined £400.

Careys Project Manager was next to be interviewed. Discussions took place with regard to the role of the Principle Contractor, training, competency, safe systems at work (including review of the sub-contractor’s method statements and risk assessments). The HSE Inspector’s opinion was that the method statement needed to be made more site specific. The detail which was omitted was the method of protection the scaffolder would be using — this should not be “generic” or left entirely to the scaffolder to decide upon. There was no action taken against Careys on this occasion, as the Inspector was pleased with what he had seen implemented by the company.
The HSE Inspector warned, however, that individuals are being targeted and will continue to receive fines and an Enforcement Notice from the HSE if they break the law. A breach of the regulations includes failing to wear PPE, operating plant and equipment without the relevant training, failing to adhere to the method statement and risk assessments (RAMs), or for altering scaffolds if you are not trained. Please bear in mind that the above are examples only as advised by the HSE Inspector. Therefore, it is essential that you stick to your RAMs, and please ensure that you comply with these and work safely at all times.

Failure to do so could leave you with a fine to pay — as in this case with the scaffolder!

Bet he was English!! We are a nation of witch hunters still.

Im learning from the master,lol.

seriously, its mainly forum members that recite wahr. I drive past small sites evreyday,and wahr is out the window. Only yesterday iwent past one of ikrams jobs,they had removed the h.r and laying bricks off trestles/bandstands on 3rd lift. 3 sides.

Not the first time , I know 3 staffs that have been personally issued prohibition notices preventing them working

Just tell them to fook off and throw some tube and fittings at them, then go scratch there car up, *****. Watched a Vinci safety video the other day, how can you have ramps on skips with no edge protection? Floor screeding is the future.

Barratt Are Starting This Pish As Well, I Got Fined £150 From Them After My Last Spat With There Safety Wallah (There Is More Chance Of Knitting Fog Than Me Paying That To Barratt) The Thing That Concerns Me More Though Is Every Time This Happens Your Card Number Gets Registered, So When You Renew Your Card Its All There For Anyone With A Reader.

i wouldnt allow them to intervine lol they crnt physically stop you and when the jobs up with out any accidents injuries ya can say wtf was he crying about your honour, we did our job left. this cant here tried to stop us working and it was a friday job and knock and now its friday again so if you dont let me out of this court room now with nfa you gonna miss out on a flyer to and its all this cant fault lol if only

Just tell them to fook off and throw some tube and fittings at them, then go scratch there car up, *****. Watched a Vinci safety video the other day, how can you have ramps on skips with no edge protection? Floor screeding is the future.

that way to dangerrous imagine workign 0.00000001mm above floor level with no hand rails harness scaff stepp no nothing your defo bount to twist ya ankle

A new development .....HSE – Fee For Intervention Served on Individuals September 3rd, A Fee For Interv was recently served on an individual, employed as a scaffolder, working on a Housing project.

The HSE Inspector was driving by the site when he noticed the scaffolder working without edge protection, or another method that would prevent him from failing.

The Inspector spoke directly to the scaffolder, explaining what he had observed and the breach in legislation which the scaffolder had made. The result was that the scaffolder was personally issued with an Enforcement Notice and fined £400.

Careys Project Manager was next to be interviewed. Discussions took place with regard to the role of the Principle Contractor, training, competency, safe systems at work (including review of the sub-contractor’s method statements and risk assessments). The HSE Inspector’s opinion was that the method statement needed to be made more site specific. The detail which was omitted was the method of protection the scaffolder would be using — this should not be “generic” or left entirely to the scaffolder to decide upon. There was no action taken against Careys on this occasion, as the Inspector was pleased with what he had seen implemented by the company.
The HSE Inspector warned, however, that individuals are being targeted and will continue to receive fines and an Enforcement Notice from the HSE if they break the law. A breach of the regulations includes failing to wear PPE, operating plant and equipment without the relevant training, failing to adhere to the method statement and risk assessments (RAMs), or for altering scaffolds if you are not trained. Please bear in mind that the above are examples only as advised by the HSE Inspector. Therefore, it is essential that you stick to your RAMs, and please ensure that you comply with these and work safely at all times.

Failure to do so could leave you with a fine to pay — as in this case with the scaffolder!

Lets look at it this way lads at least there doing there job.

Lets hope they start picking up on dodgy scaffolds aswell now

They Are Not Interested In Dodgy Scaffolds Money Hungry, They Are Interested In Raising Revenue Thats All It Is, A Money Making Scam.

Fat Thumb Syndrome :D

GerScaff , you say Barretts fined you, did you have to go through court because I thought only the court can issue fines.

It is quite common around here for Barratt Homes to contra charge (Fine) sub-contractors for many things, dropping rubbish in the car park is one of their favourites.
I think they charge £150 for that too.

I learnt about the change in the law reguarding this fining a couple of weeks ago & the fees for intervention & tbh its scary shiiit i dont think many of the guys realise the full conceqences of it.
Hse have always had the power to shut a site with a prohibition notice etc but they can stop u unannounced & issue you with either a instant fine of take you to court where they will amass additional costs @ £125ph for all the time it took them while making a case against you . The fine may be capped but their cost arnt & will run into thousands. Even a small thing like working without ur harness on while on a street job or little private or someone puttin a video of you on youtube bombing can now cost u money & a lot of it....but if you do do everthing by the book then its of no worry , but if u think u dont need ur ppe just cos ur on a tea & biscuit job then ur likely to get a bit of a shock.all revenue they generate will stay with them & not be passed onto central gov. So their payrises will depend on catching more or us out- the more they catch the richer they get ...

Top Bottom