Scaffolding Courses Feedback (1 Viewer)

SF Admin

Administrator
Reaction score
This is the thread to leave feedback on any scaffolding training courses that you may have completed.

Please provide honest information about the way the courses were run, to assist other scaffolders who are interested in further training.

Last edited:
supervisor course cisrs

just sat the supervisor course. i thought the course was really helpful and learned about tg20 reg scaffold inspection and many more good stuff, the tutor was really good they brought him up from downsouth.

Cheers for the David, Where did you do the course?

i done it in ncc glasgow i really thought it was a good course to get. for supervisor jobs in the future

done cvourse at bircham recently,was amazed to find that there is no requirement for you to be either a scaffolder, or at least a basic scaffolder, there was a young guy who had just turned 18, nice enough guy,but come on ?!

Hi fellow scaffs just wondering if anybody knows of any courses regarding reading and understanding drawings,Have been doing street work for the last 20years but am now doing site work and most jobs need to be done to a drawing.I am pretty intelligent (I THINK) and i can understand some basic drawings,but i really do need to learn my way around more complex ones.To be quite honest i am beginning to feel like a bit of a prick and would be grateful for a bit of feedback of you guys . Cheers boys

Does anybody or any company think that they need assistance to deal with the varying quality and the safety of all the non-kitemarked scaffold boards in the system?
defective%20scaffold%20board.pdf

Didn't know there were any, I thought everything had to be kite marked before going to the market here. Is this what happens when you buy your gear from China?

Scaffold Board Failures

The actual answer is unfortunately noted in safety alert dated 15 Feb "Scaffold Boards Failure" ( Scaffolding Safety Alerts ) It says ".....the board that failed in this instance would commonly be called a Grade A board because it did not have the British Standard Kitemark on the end plates. This garde of board is not subject to the requirements of BS2482 and therefore may never have been inspected for any potential strength defects".
70% of the boards in circulation are Grade A boards. - Quality Awareness training is available for this that want it - ask Woodexperts - we can help.;)

Yes it's a misleading one that, grade A scaff boards are the cheap and nasty boards. Whereas you would think that grade A was the dog's boll**ks. Machine stress graded boards are the top of the tree:laugh:

We at Simian investigated 11 boards failures between January and April 2010, not one board was BS2482 all Grade A or Grade A rejects. On the band of the board you would see a kite mark as in a love heart symbol, BS 2482, Max Span, MG or VG as in machine or visually graded and lastly the graders licence number. Excellent until you cut it and reband.

In defence a board supplier has a machine that grades boards and they call them the Alpha board, not BS, not Grade A but in the middle, so it carries some kudos.

all my years in the game and still learning new thinge every day,excellent info ill never look at a board the same thanks again for the info.

looking at boards

A lot of the big Contractors ( and some of the smaller ones ) are realising that they need their scaffs to do just that i.e. " look at boards differently" so that they minimise the risk of staff being injured as a result of any of the poorer quality boards in the Grade A pile failing.
Please put any company in touch with us or give us their name as we offer training in how to recognise poor quality boards and those that may no longer achieve BS2482 criterea.

Thanks - Wishing Health & Happiness to You and Yours this Festive Season.

Last edited by a moderator:
A lot of the big Contractors ( and some of the smaller ones ) are realising that they need their scaffs to do just that i.e. " look at boards differently" so that they minimise the risk of staff being injured as a result of any of the poorer quality boards in the Grade A pile failing.
Please put any company in touch with us or give us their name as we offer training in how to recognise poor quality boards and those that may no longer achieve BS2482 criterea.

Thanks - Wishing Health & Happiness to You and Yours this Festive Season.

If you look down the right hand side the forum is always looking for sponsors, it would be a good idea for you.

Woodexpert

Training in how to recognise poor quality boards could be well worth the investment, however, what measure would you recommend to mitigate against failure ?, you have already cited saftey alerts and Simian have provided credible Data citing the wide spread use of Grade A or below Boards. Perhaps a high Profile expose of the use of these non-compliant B.S. 2482 boards would give the buyer an informed choice ?. Do the manufacturers have a duty to inform the buyer of the substandard quality and stamp this information on the hooping irons ?. To mitigate against board failure, would it be prudent to reduce the transom centres and indicate the recommended centre size on the hooping irons ?.

Top Bottom