Legends (2 Viewers)

Bigbadbob

Reaction score
Just looking back on some earlier threads, ledgends.
I knew and worked for most of the guys and companies mentioned, but that would have been back in the mid seventies.
L&B kenny L great guy, a freind, Johny Hurley, died on ops table age 54 not one of my fav people.
Bill Leane crazy paddy, Phil Moore, Ken Davey, what a man started so many companies, D&R, Trad, and many more, anyone remember speedy Dave Bowen? think he passed away, great friend, Kevin Clifford great guy, anyone remember M&R J, Tryfoot carefull now one of my best mates, sort of the earth tought me the game, anyone remember these London scaffs, Micky Collins, Freddy Reynolds, real charactors, funny guys, never a dull moment with these 2, and probably the most fanous of all Tessy Baker the greatest and most loved scaff out of south london, comedian famous for his scaffolding, huge man with huge disability, had one leg shorter than the other, giant of a man when standing on his good leg, passed away aged 54 RIP mate.

good post bob -- used to sell a bit to Kenny L in the 90s , also dealt with a guy called Tommy W up in mowlem street bethnal green , did you ever come across D I C K Bradstock he used to do a bit with Johnny H , what about Dennis B that used to buy and sell in streatham
I lived above the star of the east pub in commercial road in the early 90s after i got kicked out of school ha
See u got the hang of the posting

I knew and worked for most of the guys and companies mentioned, but that would have been back in the mid seventies.
L&B kenny L great guy, a freind, Johny Hurley, died on ops table age 54 not one of my fav people.
Bill Leane crazy paddy, Phil Moore, Ken Davey, what a man started so many companies, D&R, Trad, and many more, anyone remember speedy Dave Bowen? think he passed away, great friend, Kevin Clifford great guy, anyone remember M&R J, Tryfoot carefull now one of my best mates, sort of the earth tought me the game, anyone remember these London scaffs, Micky Collins, Freddy Reynolds, real charactors, funny guys, never a dull moment with these 2, and probably the most fanous of all Tessy Baker the greatest and most loved scaff out of south london, comedian famous for his scaffolding, huge man with huge disability, had one leg shorter than the other, giant of a man when standing on his good leg, passed away aged 54 RIP mate.

Tessy Baker! I never knew him but I worked for a small firm called Jeavons out of Brockley for a few months back in 1995 and the manager Dave (surname on the tip of my tongue - anyone?) used to talk about him non- bloody-stop!! I think they worked on Palmers or GKN or something together.

---------- Post added at 12:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:17 PM ----------

Tessy Baker! I never knew him but I worked for a small firm called Jeavons out of Brockley for a few months back in 1995 and the manager Dave (surname on the tip of my tongue - anyone?) used to talk about him non- bloody-stop!! I think they worked on Palmers or GKN or something together.

Dave Cook!!!

Sorry mate dont know the other guys you mentioned, i left uk 1981, and as you are all aware, just came back march 2010, what a nightmare.

---------- Post added at 12:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:26 PM ----------

Dont recall that name, but thanks mate.

No probs bob - lots of faces up there in the 90s , good luck with the job hunting

Why did you come back Bigbadbob this games gone backwards since you've been away:D

Got layed off mate, hundreds of expats in Dubai sent packing this year, place just crashed big time, will be quite some time before it gets back on its feet again. and i had nowhere else to go mate.

Got layed off mate, hundreds of expats in Dubai sent packing this year, place just crashed big time, will be quite some time before it gets back on its feet again. and i had nowhere else to go mate.

Maybe you've come across my mate Barry Snell during your Middle East exploits Bob?

Welcome back Bigbadbob know a few of the names but not there faces hope u find a job soon mate

Benny Watts

Taken from the Coventry Scaffolding website from a very interesting company history section 1970s

During this decade, the start of terrorist bombings in London would significantly enhance Coventry’s reputation as The 24hr Emergency Scaffolders, something that helped build the company into what it is today and certainly helped it’s proftability over the next three decades.

The first example came one windy Sunday morning when on 31st October 1971, Pat Hanifan received a call to be told that the then Post Office Tower - now the BT Tower - had been rocked by an explosion(alledgedly put there by the IRA) 500ft above ground level. He was informed there was debris strewn everywhere and that the fire service needed access to remove further debris still hanging from the bomb damaged structure.

Pat immediately called his top cradle-hand Benny Watts who within a couple of hours had erected a rig enabling Firemen to access the outside of the building high above Euston Road to hack the dangerous debris away. The only problem was, the Firemen wouldn’t go in it, so it was left to Benny Watts by himself to balance himself in the cradle 500ft in the air, to cut away the twisted metal with a hacksaw.

It was by any standard a very courageous (if not slightly foolhardy) thing to do and earned Benny the BEM for his bravery in The Queen’s Birthday Honours list.

yeh read that before , intersetin sum good pics on there too

Hi Guys, remember it well, i was working just a mile away, and glass was scattered evey where, my cousin was Bens Labourer, dont know if he was with Ben that day.

Maybe you've come across my mate Barry Snell during your Middle East exploits Bob?

Phil181 would that be Barry Snell who did some stuff with SGB major projects?
I think he had a company called Orion and had some men in Germany early 90s

Hows he doing old ginger beard Barry?
He used to have a guy work for him called Tony cant remember surname but he used to do motorbike sidecar racing

Hows he doing old ginger beard Barry?
He used to have a guy work for him called Tony cant remember surname but he used to do motorbike sidecar racing

I spoke to him a couple of weeks ago. He was playing golf I think!

i worked with tesse on coventry with johny shanks on nites for slippery and other firms as well what about quickfix and crowies

a scaffolder called PASTY SWEET, workaholic,

and BOB, scaffolder in Dubai called charlie edwards and paul heinzs

Top Bottom