Loading bay design (1 Viewer)

philliosmaximus

Reaction score
Tendering for a job which needs 4 loading bays to hold 6 tonne each,
Loading bays will be approx 4m X 3M
it the same old scenario price before you get design , so does anyone have a design i could have a look at just so i know what sort of kit and time is involved and can have a better stab at pricing the job.

many thanks

Phil.

6 tonne each, what are the landing on the the QE2!!

They want to load them out with a tower crane before the crane is taken down as there is no way of getting the blocks and bricks to 3 sides of the building once the crane is taken down.

I can send ya a double width 1 phil but its not 6tn
4mx2.5m @ 1.5mwl if that helps its what we use for the cranes - just tell em to clear the mats as theyre dropped on it might give ya a bit more of a clue on the pricing

Morning Phil,
The load will equate 60kN on a 4 x 3 platform equates to around 6kN/mSq.
However if loading with pallets of bricks it would be wise to check the pallet size before going to design or price.
Brick pallets tend to be around 900mm x 900mm and weigh 10kN which would equate to around 12.5kN/mSq
To this load you have the impact factor to consider from mechanical loading this takes you up to 15.5kN/mSq plus your decking.
Now you have the basis for your design a 1.2 x 1.2 grid would impose a load n your leg of around 22.5kN but you would need to consider the makeup of the Boards, transoms, ledgers and supplementary & check couplers.
In Short you need to at least talk to your engineer.
Good Luck with your project
Regards
Alan

Morning Phil,
The load will equate 60kN on a 4 x 3 platform equates to around 6kN/mSq.
However if loading with pallets of bricks it would be wise to check the pallet size before going to design or price.
Brick pallets tend to be around 900mm x 900mm and weigh 10kN which would equate to around 12.5kN/mSq
To this load you have the impact factor to consider from mechanical loading this takes you up to 15.5kN/mSq plus your decking.
Now you have the basis for your design a 1.2 x 1.2 grid would impose a load n your leg of around 22.5kN but you would need to consider the makeup of the Boards, transoms, ledgers and supplementary & check couplers.
In Short you need to at least talk to your engineer.
Good Luck with your project
Regards
Alan

Alan, I mean this most sincerely when I say that contributors like yourself make the forum a valuable tool and commodity for the scaffolding community. Good man.:cool:

Phil 6t:wacko:
better make sure your price is a lot more than the cost of them leaving the crane up for a few more weeks:idea:

As usual good advise from Mr. Reade

I suggest you consider a system loading bay, most of them are pre-designed to accommodate the loads you are going to encounter, otherwise as Alan said get your engineer on the case before you commit to anything.

Just done some quick scribbles and, assuming pallet loads, you could be looking at boarded ladder beams for your deck with one number check to each internal standard (assumed 1.2m grid). If you went the other way and used beams as ledgers, you'd need your transoms @ ~300c/c so it'll save a bit if gear to board the beams. The boards just about sneak thru spanning 1.2m.

As always though, this is advise only and should be checked by a reputable engineer.

Good luck.

Are these loading bays ever designed with screw jacks in to standards, bearers thru jacks
taking load off ledgers and checks.??

They can be but no matter what the design, you'll always be faced with " I don't want to do it like that, I want to do it like this".

This one of the reasons I'd like to see scaffolding included in the client's design pack so all this can get ironed out and the Scaff doesn't incur the costs of numerous revisions.

No slips with jacks, and why do scaffs carry the cost of revisions.
As you say design packs should be included. Seen it over the years ,scaffolding was always the last consideration and became add ons,with clients and contractors scrabbling to screw access companies down.

What I meant by the scaffs incur the cost is: it's rare for us to deal with the client or contractor. It's scaffold company that picks up the consultants bill. This will in turn be passed to the client of course but having drawings included in the clients pack could help level the field for the smaller firms that don't have their own in house design teams to crack out changes at a moments notice.

Sorry for derailing your loading bay thread chap.

Fred- good idea but even jacks have a mwl per head

I know what your saying SP,but jacks set to correct height and not taken to limits Worked on t&f support work many moons ago. Was a 6 lane flyover/motorway section, Scaffold was gridded in to 4' squares and braced to design. each standard height was measured and marked out on pads.i Jacks to carry bearers,then formwork laid over,countless tons od steel and concrete, Loading bay for a few tons of bricks. Just saying like!!:wondering:
Whats the compression on standards as opposed to fittings

That worked great with bearers and form work because its only axial compression which increases with the limits on effective length. If you was looking to put those sorts of loads on a piece of tube in bending and a bit of timber, it'd be a different story.

Although, if you combine the two, say, jacks with soldiers and boards and a good ply covering; some hefty loads could be carried there. With the necessary precautions taken against slip of course.

That worked great with bearers and form work because its only axial compression which increases with the limits on effective length. If you was looking to put those sorts of loads on a piece of tube in bending and a bit of timber, it'd be a different story.

Although, if you combine the two, say, jacks with soldiers and boards and a good ply covering; some hefty loads could be carried there. With the necessary precautions taken against slip of course.

Lol:D u beat me too it ...just wot i was gonna say...we still do shoring using the decribed method but i gotta b honest & never thought to have a lbay desighned to this method but can see a practicall application for it....uve prob given the desighners a new idea fred

Ha! You snooze you lose :)

I've designed similar using soldiers for a run off but that was because of space restrictions rather than extreme loading.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2

Top Bottom