from the floor

I wouldn't go down a puncheon. I was always taught to put the double on right close to the bottom on a puncheon although if you were being pedantic you could call a hanging tube or dropper a puncheon.

Just so happens I am pedantic, so it's a dropper. ;)

what??? when did this all stop? I still see scaffolds hung off bridges about, not that I get to do any!!! How are they done now then if not on a butt off a puncheon??

sounds like any ounce of fun is gradually being stamped out!!!

Puncheon technically is a different application to a dropper. Surely!!?? carpenters terminology. Bracing or support as apposed to hanging off.
Best call up Allan Reade:wondering:

Defo short timbers used for support.Coming from ground or plate to support timber/ledger above. Never heard a dropper being called a puncheon before.

I allways thought punchins go up .....droppers go down. Well they allways have for me.

Any lads that refuse to go down a dropper should be fuucked off, im always the first down there but sometimes once and a while it would be good for some fecker to put their hand and say i'll do it.....
The day that happens i'll will the lottery...lol

I did witness an Essex boy come on a power station once and utter the immortal words "I'm old school I am. Any hangers I'm yer man always first down the needles."

needles what a wan! stain hope you put him right haverspanner any olde school that uttered needles on a hanger would of got slapped in the local after work:laugh:

Any lads that refuse to go down a dropper should be fuucked off, im always the first down there but sometimes once and a while it would be good for some fecker to put their hand and say i'll do it.....
The day that happens i'll will the lottery...lol

ive only ever been on one hanger myself that was as 19 yr old with part 1 it was striking it i went down a dropper to take out the trapize? ( 5 ft that links the 2 droppers think thats what its called cue insults lol) about 120ft up and yes bottle twiched a bit but still done it and was v proud at the time in fact all my mates got an ear full and none of them are even scaffolders (poor sods) but now with all the h & s and constantly behind handrails etc if i had a bit of danger id prob freeze to be honest thats whats ive noticed the most my confidence aint what it was :(

ive only ever been on one hanger myself that was as 19 yr old with part 1 it was striking it i went down a dropper to take out the trapize? ( 5 ft that links the 2 droppers think thats what its called cue insults lol) about 120ft up and yes bottle twiched a bit but still done it and was v proud at the time in fact all my mates got an ear full and none of them are even scaffolders (poor sods) but now with all the h & s and constantly behind handrails etc if i had a bit of danger id prob freeze to be honest thats whats ive noticed the most my confidence aint what it was :(

get down there 1980s you fell you got blood and eyeballs at the bottom!!!! these days if your un lucky to fall youve got harness support or retrival blocks which is great but these should of never have to be kicked in!!! as for trapize there the worse hanging scaffolds invented tube with a butt is the way forward trapize even olde school will not use these:nuts:

yeah when i think of the building game in the 80s i always think of auf weidersien pet lol sure i would have loved it!!!! oz and barry in ur gang, bomber on the rope and a beer with wayne after work

as for trapizes apart from chucking out a couple of boards on for a start what other purpose do they serve? dico ?

you okay bobby i probably bump me gums to much some days and need to wind me neck in at times lol!!! hangers are probably gana be a olde scaffolders job coz as things are going most jobs come from the floor these days!! these trapieze there hazzle unless you lower them down at the same time but they may be some peoples cup of tea!!!! bang the dropper down with a butt one scaff at each end of ledger happy days when your allowed to do them!!

you okay bobby i probably bump me gums to much some days and need to wind me neck in at times lol!!! hangers are probably gana be a olde scaffolders job coz as things are going most jobs come from the floor these days!! these trapieze there hazzle unless you lower them down at the same time but they may be some peoples cup of tea!!!! bang the dropper down with a butt one scaff at each end of ledger happy days when your allowed to do them!!

im okay thanks dico :laugh::laugh: bump ur gums as much as u like me old fruit ur posts are usually educational or entertaining :laugh:lol
im sure that sum scaffs out there would prefer to do it from a mewp or something ( assuming thats how u build a hanger from the ground!!!!!?)

I was up in ST FERGUS gas plant (no the same site as jason ) about 4 years ago doing pre shutdown when i got a job about 10 lifts from the deck to reach a valve,i asked if we could hang from the gantry etc but all steel had to be passed as structuraly sound to take the weight of the scaffold.This was a site that was meant to be at the end of its life so no structural work had been done to maintain.This may be a reason why when it seems so easy to hang it comes from the deck.;)

I was up in ST FERGUS gas plant (no the same site as jason ) about 4 years ago doing pre shutdown when i got a job about 10 lifts from the deck to reach a valve,i asked if we could hang from the gantry etc but all steel had to be passed as structuraly sound to take the weight of the scaffold.This was a site that was meant to be at the end of its life so no structural work had been done to maintain.This may be a reason why when it seems so easy to hang it comes from the deck.;)

maybe the reason on some jobs happy we do a lot of work on the substations for the national grid and when we errect a lot of scaffold on the roofs for the buzz bars that supply the electricity!! nobody checks the roofs for the swl on these scaffolds. but there happy to put a ton or so on the roof without the swl of the roof!! screw jacks come to mind but then your talking more £££££ so its over turned

You usually find that if its the clients responsibility to check something like the roof or foundations they are happy to go with it without the checks. But if its your duty to check it you've gotta do it before you can start!

Top Bottom