Hot!! (1 Viewer)

1969scaff

Reaction score
OK we all know it's hot,very very hot.Still makes no difference to the Health and Safety fanatics.Working on brickies job,no shade anywhere.Sweat pissing out of every part of my body."Can I take me hat off can't see cause of sweat in eyes?NO health and safety rules.Can I take safety glasses off same reason? NO!.Can I take gloves off hands very sweaty?No.Can I wear shorts bit cooler?NO.Can I just wear my hi-viz ?NO must have sleeves on shirt.Can we have some cold drinking water in canteen"?NO tap water is fine.OK fuuck it I'm going home!!!!

we need to be spanish as for no cold water yeah see you later iam off. surley if the hot heat reaches 28 or 30 you should stop work and find shelter should of had a massive walk out 1969 scaff that would make them listen in this year 2013 with all the regs and safety thrown at us your be in your rights mate

It is a joke, working on a new multi storey carpark. Basing out on the roof only trade on site, asked agent can i take my hat off ?..twwat says no... i asks ?.. his reply was " a bird might shiit on your head" thats the truth...
Where do these cuunts get off......common sence has been evaporated i think...

OK we all know it's hot,very very hot.Still makes no difference to the Health and Safety fanatics.Working on brickies job,no shade anywhere.Sweat pissing out of every part of my body."Can I take me hat off can't see cause of sweat in eyes?NO health and safety rules.Can I take safety glasses off same reason? NO!.Can I take gloves off hands very sweaty?No.Can I wear shorts bit cooler?NO.Can I just wear my hi-viz ?NO must have sleeves on shirt.Can we have some cold drinking water in canteen"?NO tap water is fine.OK fuuck it I'm going home!!!!

Have you asked their reasoning - ie have they done a risk assessment as to why wearing shorts and just hi-viz is detrimental to safety? This is what gets me about the H&S rules - they are so arbitrary and some of them seem to be just so that the working man is kept firmly in his place.

Then there is this:
JAN MOIR: Why men should never, ever go shirtless in public... except on the beach, Simon Cowell | Mail Online

A member of an entitled leisured class who probably never done a day's hard graft in their life tries to dictate what blokes can and cannot wear. :(

Well done mate, you Analyzed the risk,s and found your own solutions to manage or remove them.

Never forget your FIRST duty of care, is to your own health, safety and well-being.

Well done mate, you Analyzed the risk,s and found your own solutions to manage or remove them.

Never forget your FIRST duty of care, is to your own health, safety and well-being.

Hope he won't be analyzing his P45 any time soon.

Feck the P45, and the jumped up are-soles, who think they are the be all and end all in management of health and safety.

I come across this type of "manager" on a weekly basis.The only question they ask when instructed to "JUMP" is how high please sir.

Two day wonders comes to mind :mad:

I was chatting to a hire guy yesterday whos company is part of a bigger group which is owned by a scaffolding contractor & it appears that their brickies had a mass down tools & walked off site due to the site agent taking a H&S stance reguarding them wearing T shirts & shorts even though it was 32dgs....cant really say i blame them if its true - sometimes common sense needs to prevail over bullshiiit.

Our firms own safetyman said i was okay to take me specs off as long as their hung round me neck,lucky old me.just another bit of string hung around me fecin neck to get tangled up with me lanyard and perfectly dangling in me line of vision every time i'm bent down.
I guess the thought was there,bless him.

Did the boss say No.:smile1:

PPE is there to protect you. Do a proper risk assessment about working in the sun. In Australia the scaffolders often work in temperatures of up to 50C. They do proper heat stress management procedures, ensure adequate water is available and work in shaded areas. They seem to manage alright unless the Aussies are just tougher.

Back in the days when you were allowed to wear shorts we operated a reverse sun exposure system. This involved assessing which work areas would receive maximum sunshine at which time thus allowing us to improve our sun tans to the max.

Imagine being a moslem scaffolder in the Gulf during Ramadan. You are not drinking between dawn and dust but still have to carry a full canteen of water with you at work as the project policy is "no water no work. Must be like Chinese torture.

One firm we are working for have now changed there minds an shorts are now allowed to be worn once it hits 22 degrees , says its because blokes have been dropping like flies
No sh1t sherlock

PPE is there to protect you. Do a proper risk assessment about working in the sun. In Australia the scaffolders often work in temperatures of up to 50C. They do proper heat stress management procedures, ensure adequate water is available and work in shaded areas. They seem to manage alright unless the Aussies are just tougher.

Back in the days when you were allowed to wear shorts we operated a reverse sun exposure system. This involved assessing which work areas would receive maximum sunshine at which time thus allowing us to improve our sun tans to the max.

Imagine being a moslem scaffolder in the Gulf during Ramadan. You are not drinking between dawn and dust but still have to carry a full canteen of water with you at work as the project policy is "no water no work. Must be like Chinese torture.
you keep your 50c brits are moanning at 30c still it will be frosty in 16 weels lol!!

It gets very warm up on Barrow island, many days were 40C plus & 95% humidity.

PPE:
Hardhat, safety glasses (dark), hi vis long sleeved shirt, hi vis trousers, marine safety boots, gloves, harness.

Take a spare shirt to change into, wring old one out & hang it up to swap over.

Take plenty of water with you, go for regular shade/water breaks, job rotation & look after your mates, it was hard going but got through it ok, had a couple of close calls with heat stress.ImageUploadedByTapatalk1374711555.006914.jpg
a4e4eqyg.jpg

But looked forward to getting back on R & R.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1374711709.323853.jpg

As HSWT says
Gulf Scaffs are expected to work through Ramadan at the moment with no food or water between dawn & dusk in current temps up to 50C with full PPE (including boiler suit).

The current regs do however stop all outside work between 12:30 & 3:00pm. which of course means the guys get to start and finish twice every day.

Not to mention sitting around on site for 2 1/2 hours in your wet gear

Slight difference here for our scaffs in Paradise while working on the Petro/fertiliser/steel Plants.

We have a mixture of christian -Muslim-Hindu -Siekh-Bhuddists fellas and during Ramadan times majority of Muslim guys are assigned on nightshifts if not possible their expected work duty for dayshift is 6hrs after that its overtime.

April to Oct is warmest periods and some of the Summer days have reached 60c.
But usually in summer average is 35C.

There is Work in Temperature rulings and 4 catergories (work -Rest period)to follow when announced over the Plants tannoy system daily.

There is also a Heat stress campaign ongoing during this time with daily tool box reminders ( Liquid -Shade -Rest)to all our outside workers.

Even with advice in place the Scaffs still have to wear all their PPE including fire retardent coveralls, and full body harness with shock absorbing lanyards when WAH
Also Safety Glasses and to avoid them Steaming up Head covers are issued.

Though Production is less and the guys have betty swollocks most of the day we have had no recorded fatalities on the PPE -HEAT issues.(average Workforce during 32 years =650)

The majority of our Scaffs (all nationalities) full respect.

Had a bit of time on my hands during RAMA -DAN -DING DONG for keyboard duties.
Keep safe fellas where ever working during Hot Times.

Last edited:
Top Bottom