Alloy beams (spec)

K1ng B1lly

Reaction score
Aright lads! can anyone give me a general speck on alloy beams (lattice beams)
i.e what the load capacity is within certain intervals. we are using them as a lifting point remove redundant equipment offshore. we traditionally use ladder beams but the beams we have wont cover the span. any info would be much appreciated.

Kind regards

Lloyd Mckenzie
scaff/rigger

Not 100% sure on beams loadings or compressions thats al done by our designer. but what i do know is the more weight you attach to them, you may need to double them up..

billy boy if you are using them as a lifting frame they should have a drawing for the job if its routine then yer company will generally have a generic one with their own procedures .
alloy beams are more or less the same as steel,BUT IF IN DOUBT BEEF IT UP;)

thanks lads, the lift we are doing is under a tone which we have a generic drawing for. but the drawing is for the use of ladder beams only. all i need to know are the as strong as or are they not fit for this purpose

thanks again!

Prob best to consult a designer pal..i would. 1 phone call mate for peice of mind, or 1 mistake and end up in the drink...:embarrest:

billy boy they are slightly lower than conventional steel correst weight loads not sure but they will take a ton or tonne no probs if in doubt pick-ups;)

i no they will take more than a tone. iv punched up a few lifts on they bad boys in my time! but you know what offshore HSE is like, they need to know the details . thanks again lads! :bigsmile:

if you are being sent them out ask your compny to come up with the specs and tell the hse man to contact them you are only a scaff

Aright lads! can anyone give me a general speck on alloy beams (lattice beams)
i.e what the load capacity is within certain intervals. we are using them as a lifting point remove redundant equipment offshore. we traditionally use ladder beams but the beams we have wont cover the span. any info would be much appreciated.

Kind regards

Lloyd Mckenzie
scaff/rigger

Morning Lloyd
an Engineer will need more information prior to answering your question.
1) what make beam?
2) how deep is the beam?
3) what is the span?
4) Where on the span is the load?
5) is the load a point load?
6) is the load applied by mechanical means?

Without at least the above your answers will be guesses
regards
Alan

Top Bottom