Whats the best impact wrench? (1 Viewer)

scaffbhoy

Reaction score
Now that Hilti have stopped the renewal of contracts,what is the most reliable drill on the market and what sort of prices are scaffs paying to buy them also what sort of warranty are they coming with.
My hilti contract finished up last week and i just cant face going back to the spanner again,been spoilt i guess.

Hilti for me to, can't imagine life without it again makes the job 10 times faster n easier

There's a few good ones out there lads... i prefer the makitab
btw251 impact wrench. had mine bout 2 yrs now, good as gold keeps going. may need to change the brushes every 4 months or so but a good piece of kit.

There's a few good ones out there lads... i prefer the makitab
btw251 impact wrench. had mine bout 2 yrs now, good as gold keeps going. may need to change the brushes every 4 months or so but a good piece of kit.

Cheers for the reply,
Our secratary has printed off a list for me and there was no mention of your one,so i'd best do a wee bit of searching meself.
Whats the price of it?
How much to change the brushes?,this was the main problem with me Hilti,must have sent it back nearly every month for brushes.
are the brushes covered under warranty,how long are you without it once its away for repairs?

---------- Post added at 09:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:08 PM ----------

Have just looked at a makita on e-bay,£319.00 and it's brushless with a 3yr warranty,sounds okay.just breaks me heart paying out for this,have never paid more than 30 quid for a spanner before.
Hope the bossmans in a good mood tomorrow,perhaps he'll dip in his pocket and cover some of the cost.:idea:

Why dont you get your boss to buy it, and you pay for it weekly?. That way then if anything geos wrong you can send it back through your company, and your not shelling out all that money at once.
i seem to find that if your erecting all day you'll easily go through two batteries, so i opted for two extra. Charging usally takes about half an hour - 40 mins per battery. Yes it's alot of money but you cant put a price on your health, all us lads that use them will tell you that..

Why dont you get your boss to buy it, and you pay for it weekly?. That way then if anything geos wrong you can send it back through your company, and your not shelling out all that money at once.
i seem to find that if your erecting all day you'll easily go through two batteries, so i opted for two extra. Charging usally takes about half an hour - 40 mins per battery. Yes it's alot of money but you cant put a price on your health, all us lads that use them will tell you that..

Going to ask him to helpout,i'm sure he will.dont think he'll swallow the "it's for our health reasons" though,after 30 years on the spanner these last couple of years on the drill have nearly been enjoyable.
Cheers for your help.

You are like me scaffbhoy, 33 years on the spanner and a lot of milage.
The three proved ones are not cheap and be prepared to pay around 350 quid for one.
I use the Milwaukee.
Cheaper ones arent really worth it.

Morn john. never heard of the milwalkey. whats it like compared to the makita and would it be worth swapping?

Now i'm getting confused,again,just about had me mind set on the makita[brushless]and now your asking if it's worth swapping for the milwaukee,have also heard good things about the panasonic,this is getting as fecin stressfull as changing the car or choosing a holiday.
I usually think things through better after a gallon of Guinness,so gonna mull on it again tommorrow.
Any more suggestions greatly appreciated.[i think].

Morn john. never heard of the milwalkey. whats it like compared to the makita and would it be worth swapping?
I wouldnt know mate as I have never used a Makita so I couldnt comment.
The Milwaukee is a beast in in-experienced hands as the torque is very powerful,
but it is ideal for stripping especially when the job has been up for months and the fittings need a little extra umph!!!
The Milwaukee comes with a 3 year warranty if you register the tool online.

As for the Makita, best ask AOM as he has used it for ages.

I wouldnt know mate as I have never used a Makita so I couldnt comment.
The Milwaukee is a beast in in-experienced hands as the torque is very powerful,
but it is ideal for stripping especially when the job has been up for months and the fittings need a little extra umph!!!
The Milwaukee comes with a 3 year warranty if you register the tool online.

As for the Makita, best ask AOM as he has used it for ages.

Where did you buy your milmaukee from?,i've done a bit of searching online and it seems to be coming up priced in $$,how much did you pay?

---------- Post added at 07:21 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:18 AM ----------

Also,how do you go about insuring it,will your house insurance cover it against theft,damage etc.

Just tap into Milwaukee dealers UK and the places will come up.
Cost around £350 including vat without the socket.
Also see Hilti or Makita and check for prices, but as far as I know they all cost around the same.
As for insurance, I wouldnt know mate as I havent done that one before.

Interested in a Milwaukee myself now.

I had the Makita, great bit of kit but I sold it last year.

The one problem I did have with mine was the locking pin was a spring pin and the socket would come off pretty regularly especially when stripping which was a right ball ache to be fair.

How does the socket lock on the Milwaukees??

Just had a look at these on the internet,not sure i could scaffold with a portable drill,is it not awkward putting it in and out of your 3 foot wide frog,also reckon it would be awkward undoing the clips on the transoms,you would have to hold it upside down,nope,reckon I will stick with the spanner.

Have to say Joel I haven't heard anything bad about them,but trying to do a mental picture of me using one don't quite fit,also imagining climbing up and down the scaffold with that hanging off your belt,wouldn't it keep getting trapped and falling out etc?

They can be a pain, but, like I say you do get used to them.

Decent holster is needed so you can clip it in before you climb, and if I do get another one I'll be getting a lanyard for it as I dropped mine a few times, luckily didn't damage it!

Top Bottom