I refuse to do it!!!

Mattchidley

Reaction score
Just wandering what you lads think of this. Recently I've had a part 1 scaff refuse to do something just because he's not got a 2. If he's under supervision shouldn't he be going and doing jobs like any other person. When I was just a labourer I'd jump at any chance to get on the spanners and learn abut more. Thing is as well it's not like he's refusing to do something hard or dangerous

Times have changed Matt, but he does sound like he's not cut out to be a scaff, a proper trainee as you say would jump at the chance of doing something new, if he's under supervision and so long as he's on a guardrailed off platform working to SG4.00 then he has no argument.

Depends on his supervision. if his supervisor so to speak is talking him through what to do step by step then fair enough. I had the same situation couple of weeks ago. i had an advanced scaff refuse to do a ten ft dropper x 1 lift, now this guy i know is capable of doing the job, but it came down to not enough confidence to go and do the job off his own back. So you might find this part 1 kid might just be lacking in confidence.

Just refuse to work with him in future. See how it reflects to the gaffers when people wont work with him he's a bad egg and wont be long till he's fooked off.
What was he asked to do?

He is capable of bein a good lad I fink he just gets the **** ems and can't b arsed sum times. Just petty jobs that he can't b arsed to do I.e jobs he has to use brain on. Thing is tho he keeps goin on about gettin his 2 but if ur not gonna put the effort in to learn then u ain't guna get it. I do av to tell him how to do sum jobs tho and I kno it can **** the lad off but I'm only tryin to help him.

Nothink wrong with showing the lad how to go about things, we all had to learn sumwere and continue learning new things all the time

Ur rite there chunk. There's always sumfin new u can learn. The lad is just guna b as good or as bad as he wants to be. I'm not guna push him if he won't show any willing

If he won't do something with his spanner then tell him to get his belt off coz he's just a labourer then ! & as for the advanced Scaff he needs to get in the office & ask to be paid as a basic Scaff. They all want the money so do the F...ing work. MAN UP !

Just wandering what you lads think of this. Recently I've had a part 1 scaff refuse to do something just because he's not got a 2. If he's under supervision shouldn't he be going and doing jobs like any other person. When I was just a labourer I'd jump at any chance to get on the spanners and learn abut more. Thing is as well it's not like he's refusing to do something hard or dangerous

Is he with a trained scaffolder all the time or just a quick instruction and are you paying him as a part 2 to do it .If he`s on his own it`s a bit **** expecting him to do the job for part 1 money

I would stick the lazy wan ker on the rope and wheel for a month then see how quickly he jumps up and gets on with it , to many idiots going about these days thinking there scaffolders because a training center says so .

I was the worst labourer going but made a good scaffolder, if the chargehand had asked me to do something different [anything to get away from the rope and wheel] while i was doing my training in the 60`s i would have bitten their hand off to do it, this lad has not got it in him and should be sent packing.

I was the worst labourer going but made a good scaffolder, if the chargehand had asked me to do something different [anything to get away from the rope and wheel] while i was doing my training in the 60`s i would have bitten their hand off to do it, this lad has not got it in him and should be sent packing.

Would be interesting to hear some anecdotes from the training back in the 1860's GM.;)

I would stick the lazy wan ker on the rope and wheel for a month then see how quickly he jumps up and gets on with it , to many idiots going about these days thinking there scaffolders because a training center says so .
I agree. If you cant use him, send the w@nker back to the yard just like in the good old days!:bigsmile:

Top Bottom