Barratts Loading Bay

joebag

Reaction score
If I had enough about me I could figure how to scan this drawing of a loading bay ive been doing for a few months,10 standards,5 aberdeens,w plan bracing,22 transoms,locking lift,double sway bracing,5 ledger braces and a trap door for stuart hall,,,,,

i could put a small moon on this yet i fail to see why and who has designed this,,,,,its impossible to work around and sit the transoms on to sg4,,,,they ask for window boards in openings yet with trad deck in the way you cant send a standard down on the inside of the room as it makes it three boards wide,also not to sg4,

i could go on but heard from a good source that tg2013 is supposed to put more power in the scaffolders hands,,,,when as a group of tradesmen are we just going to stop putting ridiculous overengineered ***** in our own jobs at our own expense and tell the two day course simian slag safety wombles to go and sit on a five foot,did my part and got threatened with arrest so come on lets get involved lol,,,,,rant over ! :mad:

there is solutions to this that's not my point,i and many other blokes work on price,thats why its like kicking my nan in the head all this *****!

Last edited:
The drawing was done by PBscaffolddesigns in Leeds. Not known any fail as yet!

Take a pic & put it on for us to see , sounds like its slightly over engineered though

Does it need tie testing joe bag ;) lol rember doing them 13ft 10 trannys and never had any failures ither lol

Worked on a few sites where the main contractor supplys a drawing for the loading bay. Always a massive amount of tube in them.

I suppress a smile many a day when inspecting loading bays, they are all over engineered.

But many are built with insufficient sole boards on unsuitable ground. This is the major cause for failure

I have erected hundreds of loading bays with 2 X 6ft bays, 5 board wide, 7 transoms on singles, check fittings on ledgers,dog leg each end with facia' brace across 3 standards. They did not fail, The front ledger would bend when the stupid bricky doubled up on packs of brick/blocks (4 packs per load bay) The Structure did not fail even when abused.

If I had enough about me I could figure how to scan this drawing of a loading bay ive been doing for a few months,10 standards,5 aberdeens,w plan bracing,22 transoms,locking lift,double sway bracing,5 ledger braces and a trap door for stuart hall,,,,,

i could put a small moon on this yet i fail to see why and who has designed this,,,,,its impossible to work around and sit the transoms on to sg4,,,,they ask for window boards in openings yet with trad deck in the way you cant send a standard down on the inside of the room as it makes it three boards wide,also not to sg4,

i could go on but heard from a good source that tg2013 is supposed to put more power in the scaffolders hands,,,,when as a group of tradesmen are we just going to stop putting ridiculous overengineered ***** in our own jobs at our own expense and tell the two day course simian slag safety wombles to go and sit on a five foot,did my part and got threatened with arrest so come on lets get involved lol,,,,,rant over ! :mad:

there is solutions to this that's not my point,i and many other blokes work on price,thats why its like kicking my nan in the head all this *****!

Do you think it's the two day course simian slag wobbles that's the problem or that they are just doing their job with regards to the work at height regs?

Obviously everyone knows most stuff is over engineered but why have a go at someone for doing their job? Unless you can't put it in to the drawing so you keep getting fecked over cos someone can read the drawing?!:wondering:

I think you may just have to suck this one up for quite a while yet Joebag as even when the tg20 revision does finally come out, a lot of these contractors always take an age to adopt to any new practices and can stipulate anything they like on all their jobs. I can well imagine, the amount of tube that goes into these loading bays though, just build a system one.:idea:

Rigger,

What size of sole pad do you expect to see under a loading bay, is it just the standard requirement?

trying to get the pic up,it doesn't state sole pad sizes which should be greater than 450 even on compacted ground you would have thought,been saying for a while if someone designs a adjustable system loading bay that's the next big moneymaker;),
my argument with the safety womble was on the window board making the outside boards illeagal eg.. to a 4 and 3,as if spared up the job would go from an independent to a design,trad deck was in situe so we couldn't send standards down inside and he dismissed my arguments for his own 2 day course experience saying that what he said goes,i said I sign the tags,handover certs etc and its my name on the job, if anyone goes through the inside its me in court,he said if I didn't like it I could get off site and he would personally phone hsbc and get me barred lol,from any other site in the northwest,

I said right handbags !

My main point is these quality ladyboys are getting the two day courses and thinking they can overrule my qualifications,experience and then not put their own name on the job,,,,power without responsibility,,,,,,its happening everywhere and as for not doing it properly the qs, site agent said as I ****** off he said it was the best interpretation of the drawing he has seen,they sent me to another job which the prime minister went up,,,,,i was on the news so there :D

Truthfully, if the additional board was in the window gap to close the gap to stop feet or materials going down most safety wombles would accept it. If he hasn't he truly is a womble!

Listen Joe, take this anyway you want to and I know it can be really tough at times but for me, you have to wind your neck in with these guys. Do it quietly, like a smiling assassin, no scaffolder should not be able to wrap a 2 day wonder round their finger with a bit of genuine knowledge. I have been struggling myself a bit lately and have been fortunate most of the stupid requests have come when I have not been on site, which gave me the chance to count to 10 and blast them out the water quietly, they hate that.;)

marra just put what I listed ,3.6 wide ,standards at 900 centres,everything within the node and unless your that bendy tw@t off the fantastic four or basing it out,four lifts up on a brickies lift with joints and the curvature of the earth coming into play its better off being jimmy savilles paperboy!:push:

oh im one for the games aom,but when hes threatening the black book it gets personal,believe you and me I would have pulled his extensions and scratched his eyes out ,let alone kick his guide dog ;)

If you do get independence aom would you rename it paradise,as everything seems rosey up there ;)

Last edited:
Maybe seems that way with some of my posts Joe but rosey it ain't. I see it as a bit of a risk going to war with these guys as they can easy shift the blame on to the small scaffold firm to hide their own inadequacies once they get off site and we may not get asked to price anymore work for them. I feel as if I already work in education more than access.

Agreed,normally im a lot more tactfull aom,believe it or not I get sent out to sort ***** and liase with clients as im quite a sociable chap,but when the site agent,qs and everyone else are forewarning you of this idiot,and he comes from a point of ego and false knowledge it leaves you nowhere to turn,i can stand toe to toe with the best of them but I feel you've lost already without putting a constructive argument across,you cant argue with stupid but it is coming to a point of theirs that many out there at the mo,you have to draw a line in the sand somewhere :wondering:

I'm afraid that is true. It's a pity they don't have different level cards, I would venture they would need to have 20 years service and hold a platinum card before they could even look at a scaffolder.

Top Bottom