Advanced Assessment?

I've done 4 hangers and 5 cantilever drops in 19 years, it all depends on where you work and what type of work your company does. Most street scoffs will never do tese at bet they might do a truss out.

The courses are to give you the knowledge and a basic understanding of what can be done with tube and fitting.

To be honest they don't need to give you more the design tells you that. What they should do is tell you how to interpret a design correctly!

One things for sure they should teach the scaffolder how to read all these fcuking drawings to start wiv lol

I watched an advanced assessment last week, building a temporary roof. I couldn't help thinking, it was no more a temporary roof that I could fly in the air. At best, it looked more like a Gantry, at worst, a habitat.

As the advanced card becomes more sought after, what do you reckon would be the best structure to prove your skills on?

I suppose apart from the tin sheets then a temp roof is pretty similar to a gantry.
It seems the advanced course is different from the days of remembering you needed 3 bulldog grips to hang a scaffold with wires.
Putting the stuff together is the easy part. Its the paperwork that can cause problems. That and stopping the lads smoking of course.;)

Maybe I am just barking up the wrong tree with this one, I just felt that 2 part 1 towers joined at the top and bottom and a 6 foot gap does not a roof make. The training is supposed to be relevant to industry, you couldn't roof a smoking shack with this roof. I know it's a taster, I am also fully aware it's a 2 day assessment not a week. What this job tells them about the scaffs skills is beyond me.

Why not let the Scaff tell the instructor how to put the fe**ing job up without the drawing,
A lot of the best scaffs I worked with when I started could put up any shore, roof ect.. But had probably never seen a design in all their life!
9 out of 10 you have to change the drawing on site anyway

good point baxter you show most scaffolders a drawing exspecially a complex one they would scratch there head me being one of them. point out what you want and how you want it built there throw the jobs up all day long. years ago on the outages you would have 20 scaffolders at there prime waiting to build the boiler scaffolds they could all build it but with the drawing only 2 or 3 scaffolders could read it!!! answer to your question aom. for the advanced course let the scaffolder errect the scaffolds then get the trainner to ask how to mod the scaffolds in different situatins ie!!! tubes to be cut or removed when something or a piece of plant needs to be removed and be put back or a valve or machine needs to be replaced around a live scaffold i no this comes with exsperience, but a advance scaffolder should be able to deal with any situation.

Very good point Dico , no one ever shows you how to adapt a scaffold because there are to many variables it is down to experience , something you cant learn in any collage.

For me i think the South London Leaner should be on the Advanced course as they arnt as easy as they look and they save shed loads of kit and time ;)

they all slag the olde school scaffolder off phill and say you got to move with the times but sometimes the olde school have to show the new school the olde times so they can move forward lol!!!!

They only slag us of until some complicated adaption needs doing Dico

from what i can see phill with the new school:laugh: unless it comes from the floor you cant build it:laugh: atlest we had a good innings and hopefully a few more years to come phill lol!!

good point baxter you show most scaffolders a drawing exspecially a complex one they would scratch there head me being one of them. point out what you want and how you want it built there throw the jobs up all day long. years ago on the outages you would have 20 scaffolders at there prime waiting to build the boiler scaffolds they could all build it but with the drawing only 2 or 3 scaffolders could read it!!! answer to your question aom. for the advanced course let the scaffolder errect the scaffolds then get the trainner to ask how to mod the scaffolds in different situatins ie!!! tubes to be cut or removed when something or a piece of plant needs to be removed and be put back or a valve or machine needs to be replaced around a live scaffold i no this comes with exsperience, but a advance scaffolder should be able to deal with any situation.

Agreed 100%,The drawings are the hardest part of scaffolding for me,can throw up scaffolds all day long without a drawing,we even did a hanger under Chelsea bridge a few years back no problem,but if they had gave us a drawing to build it reckon we would have all been stumped.

think your find lee that most scaffolders that have problems with drawings wont admit it as they dont wana come across thick. i can do the job as with many others quite easy without a drawing. but these days drawings are the way they want scaffolds built which i think should be shown on your cisrs courses when i was there i had some lads that could bang up scaffolds allday and leave me behind. but because in they had a drawing to read it slowed them right down lets be honnest we all came into scaffolding as it was easy money and you didnt have to be brains from thunderbirds to do it. yes some can read trawings like there the sun news paper. but throw them on the spanners there slow. drawings may be the future but scaffoldings gone up for years and years without drawings. without any problems

Last edited:
All good points Dico and to be honest the scaffolder in me totally agrees with you, but I can also hear the managers out there saying you can't adapt a design job without more design input. It would never work on one of your outages, shut downs or hook up where all the drawings are supposed to be done retrospectively if at all.

Flying Shore .... Not many of these done these days. But this was one we did on an advanced route back in 2003 Along with...

Raking Shore
Hanger
Birdcage
Temporary Roof
Independent
Independent & Cantilever
Formwork

I think the Flying Shore should be included

Attachments

• CISRS Flying Shore.jpg
    CISRS Flying Shore.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 16
Yeah, I did that as well, it was a good job but again not used much today. I suppose it did tick the box's better with being able to read and understand a drawing though. Do you think SG4 has anything to do with the structures they make you build?

Yes. Nearly every job can be done within SG4 there is always a situation where it cant be use to its full or is useless.

The majority of that flying shore on a site would be done from a harness, although admittedly in the centre they would have a mobile tower of some description.

Top Bottom