Advanced Assessment?

aom

Reaction score
I watched an advanced assessment last week, building a temporary roof. I couldn't help thinking, it was no more a temporary roof that I could fly in the air. At best, it looked more like a Gantry, at worst, a habitat.

As the advanced card becomes more sought after, what do you reckon would be the best structure to prove your skills on?

Hanger perhaps? Think I done one on part 2 course back in 2005, also ever been on one hanger in my career when i was 19/20 remember the thought put into it def seperated the men from the boys

Yeah, the hanger should be on the part 2 course, not sure when it was removed but it was obviously after 2005.

A hanger to my mind is a fairly basic job unless you are talking in situ like a rig, advanced are meant to be a cut above yet all they have to build to prove it is 2 part 1 towers with some beams flung across.

2way shore ....technical without being too dauhnting but makes you have to think

Yeah, that's a good shout SP. They will argue that we don't build them now as they are all done using formwork but the skills required are still relevant. You could say the same about the cantilever drop, you would stick out beams and punch up if you were doing it in anger, but the required skill set is still relevant.

What about a proper roof that our industry would recognise?

part 1 and 2 are useful to learners.. the advanced course is not advanced enough... not tough enough.. the hanger/dropper should go down 2 lifts so its a little more of a challange... should also be given a job to do with no drawing with in guidance (the real world).. make the brain think and see who is a scaffolder and who just holds a spanner for show.

The drawing is a legal requirement though.

I think I would beef up the part 1, especially for the 3 weekers.

Yeah, the hanger should be on the part 2 course, not sure when it was removed but it was obviously after 2005.

A hanger to my mind is a fairly basic job unless you are talking in situ like a rig, advanced are meant to be a cut above yet all they have to build to prove it is 2 part 1 towers with some beams flung across.

I have allways assumed that by doing a hanger it confirms you as a ' scaffolder' (as its the hardest)if you know what I mean but as I've said only been on one before and that was a 19yr old (so didn't really know what was going on lol) uve got me curious now alistair obviously as your an older/wiser head (lol) and as I try and Learn from the more experienced blokes what type of scaffold would you say was a cut above that should be on the course? And therefore seperates a part2 from an advanced?

I have allways assumed that by doing a hanger it confirms you as a ' scaffolder' (as its the hardest)if you know what I mean but as I've said only been on one before and that was a 19yr old (so didn't really know what was going on lol) uve got me curious now alistair obviously as your an older/wiser head (lol) and as I try and Learn from the more experienced blokes what type of scaffold would you say was a cut above that should be on the course? And therefore seperates a part2 from an advanced?

To be honest Bobby, I have always thought hangers were easy, but I have done loads of them. The boys who have done roofs would tell you the same about them, but I have never done a roof and have seen a few examples of what can happen when they go wrong. I think roofs should be part of the advanced, just not in the way they are now. Ideally, you would build a proper easily recognised roof of some sort, but not sure what that would mean for the centres in terms of time and resources. In short, we will always think whatever job we are not sure off, is the most difficult.

To be honest Bobby, I have always thought hangers were easy, but I have done loads of them. The boys who have done roofs would tell you the same about them, but I have never done a roof and have seen a few examples of what can happen when they go wrong. I think roofs should be part of the advanced, just not in the way they are now. Ideally, you would build a proper easily recognised roof of some sort, but not sure what that would mean for the centres in terms of time and resources. In short, we will always think whatever job we are not sure off, is the most difficult.

Actually prob not wrong there mate also had a run of temporary roofs again when was young think some where haki and the others were in tube again due to age only was passing up the gear didn't appreciate the thought that goes into it, I'm 28 now haven't been on a job with a temporary roof since then but looking back think I'd be bit fooked putting up one of them to tell the truth mate lol

haha, me as well.:laugh:

I know they offer a product specific roof course at some centres but would it not be simpler to do it right the first time?

It would mate but doing it right first time erm...... Good luck finding blokes that do that lol, the gang I was with were on price I lf I remember correctly they had to send a couple of blokes in afterwards to snag/ put right our roofs :laugh:

a perfect example of either lack off or insufficient training Bobby.:cool:

Actual tie installation and testing
Fill out handovers
H/rail of steel in a mewp
Process of timber frame with inside h/rails and procedure for adaptions and best practice re. Removal of h/rails
Render adaptions and removal of board and info of permit to work scaffolds
Those are all things I find are non standardised that we should all learn
In 30 years I have only come across 2 hangers and 2 raking shores and they were 20
Years ago ....,

Yeah, another good shout Tim. Is the advanced not already aimed at turning scaffolders into managers? If so the handovers, permits and SSOW should already be in there, maybe you need the supervisors for that.

How about a combination of both hanger and roof ..... a hanging roof :idea:

I have done a small " floating " temp roof before .... flat roof needed a lid , but , was surrounded on 3 sides by higher buildings so put 2 lines of hilti rings in the 3 higher walls and laced these with tube to give us two ledgers that supported the tin roof ( think i`d be hung drawn and quartered if i tried that now )

How about a combination of both hanger and roof ..... a hanging roof :idea:

I have done a small " floating " temp roof before .... flat roof needed a lid , but , was surrounded on 3 sides by higher buildings so put 2 lines of hilti rings in the 3 higher walls and laced these with tube to give us two ledgers that supported the tin roof ( think i`d be hung drawn and quartered if i tried that now )

Fook me what's that then the da Vinci design? Lol:laugh:

Why not let the Scaff tell the instructor how to put the fe**ing job up without the drawing,
A lot of the best scaffs I worked with when I started could put up any shore, roof ect.. But had probably never seen a design in all their life!
9 out of 10 you have to change the drawing on site anyway

i cant wait for my part 2 card to finaly arrive in the post so i can exspress an opinion on this thread. hope ya all enjoying the better weather thats finaly here good bye winter 2012/2013 eh!

i cant wait for my part 2 card to finaly arrive in the post so i can exspress an opinion on this thread. hope ya all enjoying the better weather thats finaly here good bye winter 2012/2013 eh!

Lol my p2 assessment is in June..... Yet here I am :D

And yep to the weather have been in the basement most of last week Sod's law but joined new form yesterday so fingers crossed hopefully outside work

Top Bottom