Ladder beams testing (1 Viewer)

Setters

Reaction score
Anybody know how to test ladder beams onsite? some of ours looking quite fecked and rusted. How often should they be tested? cheers.

Anybody know how to test ladder beams onsite? some of ours looking quite fecked and rusted. How often should they be tested? cheers.

If they look rough they may be rough!
Look for flaking rust as opposed to solid worn rust. If you tube is flaking you are loosing strength.

If you have a good beam weigh it and compare the weight against the rusty beam this will tell you how much of the beam has fallen off in the form of rust and this should give an indication of what state your beams are.

Do not however compare the weight of the beam to its strength!!

In other words, bin them and get some shiny new ally ones, give the guys a treat.

rarely seen a ladder beam that is not rusted and twisted to fcuk... i guess they dont galv them up as the weight would be tooooo much more?

bit like 1 of the men weve got of yours :laugh: be rude to mention names setters:laugh:

I haven't used one in 13 years since I was last on a rig, probably couldn't even lift one now let alone put one in place. The only thing I miss about them is the ease in which they formed a stair access with your boards off set in the square held in place with a couple of Mandy's.:cool:

You would get shot for that now probably.:(

I Always Prefer To Use Ladder Beams (With Kwikstage) Rather Than Alloy Beams, Because You Always Hit The Pressing With The Diagonal Chords. Punching Up Off The Alloy Is Always A Bit Of A Hit And Miss Affair.

Same with other systems as well Gerscaff, I could post a picture of how one squad thought you were meant to punch up or rather cantilever out system using a beam, but I wouldn't like to take too much attention away from the Dear Deirdrie thread.:eek:

Top Bottom