Fittings? How long can you realistically use them???

J

Jason-Gibbs

Morning fellas.

Quick question... what would you say is the life span of a bog-standard drop forged Fitting?
10 years?
20 years?
30 years??

Also, even if a fitting was reconditioned, ie: new bolt, new gate pin, etc, would it still only be extending the usuage of the fitting by only a few more years?

How long can they be realistically be used before they become unfit for purpose and even possibly faulty??

Me? Id say that a fitting dont have an unlimited lifespan and after say, 10 years? should really be replaced.

(one for Alan Reade i think) :)

Just wondering, like.

Morning fellas.

Quick question... what would you say is the life span of a bog-standard drop forged Fitting?
10 years?
20 years?
30 years??

Also, even if a fitting was reconditioned, ie: new bolt, new gate pin, etc, would it still only be extending the usuage of the fitting by only a few more years?

How long can they be realistically be used before they become unfit for purpose and even possibly faulty??

Me? Id say that a fitting dont have an unlimited lifespan and after say, 10 years? should really be replaced.

(one for Alan Reade i think) :)

Just wondering, like.

Interesting question jase, i'm sure if anyone will know it's p.a.r. The wealth of Alans knowledge truly amazed me when i worked for him in the sandpit.

Alright jay yeah I'd say 10 yrs or so

You'll have scaffolders say they have had the same double for 30 years " its had 12 new bolts and 15 new gates" (trigger) lol :)

I have fittings that i bought second hand over 20 years ago that are still sound , and i had fittings that i bought new that only lasted a couple of years , its like most things if you service them and dont abuse them they last.
I have noticed though that a lot of the new drop forged are no where near as good a quality as the old fittings i still have.

Exactley the same as you phil but am tryng to bin all those 1/2inch ones...these new indian made stuff is crap dont think theyll last as long

Exactley the same as you phil but am tryng to bin all those 1/2inch ones...these new indian made stuff is crap dont think theyll last as long

Is it me or does the bolt get longer everytime you use them indian immitations lol,they are truly sh*t fittings:eek:

If you're periodically changing the bolt/ nut/ gate pin then you're looking for figures on metal fatigue on the fitting body, I very much doubt anyone has bothered checking into that.

PS, I hope ur no using Cape's computer for this lmao

Delboy ive this brush for 20 years granted its had six new handles and five new heads but its still as good as new

Don't joke Gary, you never know.

I reckon there is no time restraint to the usefulness of the fitting. Like everything else we use it will be down to inspection and risk assessment, if it looks sh1t, bin it.

Has anyone actually measured their bolts for creep or even know how long they should be?

FFS Phil, you think Jase should get out more?:embarrest:

Bloody cheap fittings!

Had a load of presco doubles new, some bolts off centre, some twisted. All cheap and nasty. Some havent made their first lift and got fired into the nearest bush!:wacko:

Had a load of presco doubles new, some bolts off centre, some twisted. All cheap and nasty. Some havent made their first lift and got fired into the nearest bush!:wacko:

we have had the same problem with them to, and a load of new singles .

I bought 4000 new bolton singles earlier on in the year & everyone had to be wound out b4 we could use em.thank fuccck for IWs lol

exactley the same as you phil but am tryng to bin all those 1/2inch ones...these new indian made stuff is crap dont think theyll last as long

you never get a bad half inch fitting

is it me or does the bolt get longer everytime you use them indian immitations lol,they are truly sh*t fittings:eek:

yan of the lads must of told you that with peddeling to wuk ya wont have energy to turn them ;)

got an old 1/2 in spanner if you want it sp. :smile1:

av got yan an all marra as well ... Do you do the minature in half inch ?? Lol

we have had the same problem with them to, and a load of new singles .

the new singles dont lap the tube there all loose on the tubes have to wrap the life out of them to get them to stcik

Top Bottom