HSE Banning Ladders. (1 Viewer)

phil181

Reaction score
I have just heard from a reliable source that the HSE have decided that we are no longer allowed to use ladders on a scaffold as from Jan 01 2014. ALL scaffolds must have a full external staircase every 6th bay.

I was just wondering what provisions people had made for these new rules, that will have a huge effect on our industry and the way we work?

I, for one, applaud this new rule, although, inevitably, wages will drop as a result.

Its a total ban
If the stairs don't fit then you will need to reduce the size of the building under CDM ⚠

With having staircases every 6th bay put more pressure on the disabled as I know a man with no legs can climb a ladder but not sure about stairs?

I see the cost of system staircases has pretty much doubled overnight!!! :mad::mad::mad:

Yea right,I would never be able to afford to buy loads of stairs at £1300 for 2 flights,hiring them in would be the only way at £16+vat per flight per week

BBCEL use a no ladder system at blackfrairs bridge,a lot of the time it would not fit so we were allowed to use a ladder under permit system as last resort.

It's going to be a bit tricky in lift shafts.

No problem for lift shafts.Just use a couple of formwork soldiers, a couple of acrows and a bit of ply stuck in the shaft from the floor openings and job done.
Might be a bit of a problem not having ladders in the minarets of the 10,000 new mosques which are going to be built in the UK in 2014/2015

Confined space work where access hatches can be down to 450 mm diameter?

Invest in a stair treads manufacturer!

How sure are you this is not just another rumour, and when will it be officially released as news from the hse??

No problem for lift shafts.Just use a couple of formwork soldiers, a couple of acrows and a bit of ply stuck in the shaft from the floor openings and job done.
Might be a bit of a problem not having ladders in the minarets of the 10,000 new mosques which are going to be built in the UK in 2014/2015

The minarets come as pre-cast units, delivered by 2 Royal Navy Merlin helicopters utilising a unique lifting beam system designed in Pakistan.

This was all arranged between our Government and the Pakistani authorities about 3 years ago.

I for one applaud the Pakistani Government for reducing work at height.

I've just been told by my mole at the HSE that they bare planning a massive blitz on scaffolding firms using ladders from early next year.

Look out lads - the government has approved the HSE issuing £850 on-the-spot fines for anyone using ladders on a scaffold!

I've also heard that Chesney Hawkes is planning a two-bob article on this issue next week.

The minarets come as pre-cast units, delivered by 2 Royal Navy Merlin helicopters utilising a unique lifting beam system designed in Pakistan.

This was all arranged between our Government and the Pakistani authorities about 3 years ago.

I for one applaud the Pakistani Government for reducing work at height.

What a brilliant idea. The British have a lot to learn when it comes to the cutting edge technology of the Pakistanis. make everything flat and then stand it up and place when in situ.
Maybe scaffolds could be built in the same way?

This game just gets worse and worse,they carry on with all these legislation we be lucky to put a house front up in a day when are they gonna stop and let us just get on with it

Excellent first post Luke. Look forward to hearing more from you. Welcome to the forum. Are you another disgruntled refugee from scaffmag?

HAKI CUPLOK AND ALL THE OTHER MODULAR SCAFFOLD SYSTEM MANUFACTURERS ARE ALL LOVING THIS NEW REG WHICH THEY HAVE LOBBYED HARD FOR IN THE HOUSE OF COMMONS
I WAS TOLD THIS BY MY MATES WIFE WHO WORKS FOR AN MP WHO WORKS HAND IN HAND WITH THE HSE AND AN ACCESS CONFEDERATION(WHO HAVE JUST SHAT ALL OVER OUR CRAP CARD SYSTEM)
APPARENTLY THEY ARE THE NEW REGS THEIR STAIRWAYS TO HEAVEN PROJECT:mad::mad:IT MAKES ME FECKING SICK

Top Bottom