Rope & Wheel Banned (1 Viewer)

phil181

Reaction score
As I'm sure everyone already knows, the HSE have decided that we are no longer allowed to use a rope and gin wheel to raise or lower scaffolding materials from Jan 01 2014.

I was just wondering what alternatives people had in mind for these new rules that will affect all of us?

I have been toying with this idea for a while its in early stages how about putting a rocket inside the scaffold tube plugging the tube and firing towards the scaffolder. Lowering well set up parachutes to lower down this will eliminate manual handling. What do you think?.

I have been toying with this idea for a while its in early stages how about putting a rocket inside the scaffold tube plugging the tube and firing towards the scaffolder. Lowering well set up parachutes to lower down this will eliminate manual handling. What do you think?.
Great idea

---------- Post added at 07:50 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:48 AM ----------

Can we get Catherine wheel to do the fittings up as well

As I'm sure everyone already knows, the HSE have decided that we are no longer allowed to use a rope and gin wheel to raise or lower scaffolding materials from Jan 01 2014.

I was just wondering what alternatives people had in mind for these new rules that will affect all of us?

I for one applaud the HSE action. Why are people using this ancient method to raise and lower materials in these modern times? With today's focus on health and safety to expect the modern scaffolder to use something that has been around since the Pyramid project is unbelievable.
Hopefully from Jan 01 2014 all scaffolds will be constructed by building a lift at a time on the ground. This will the be lifted by crane and placed on top section by section. Dismantling will be in reverse order. This will also mean that scaffolders no longer need harnesses or scaffsteps thus saving the scaffolding contractors an absolute fortune.

I for one applaud the HSE action. Why are people using this ancient method to raise and lower materials in these modern times? With today's focus on health and safety to expect the modern scaffolder to use something that has been around since the Pyramid project is unbelievable.
Hopefully from Jan 01 2014 all scaffolds will be constructed by building a lift at a time on the ground. This will the be lifted by crane and placed on top section by section. Dismantling will be in reverse order. This will also mean that scaffolders no longer need harnesses or scaffsteps thus saving the scaffolding contractors an absolute fortune.

Well said HSWT.

I, too, salute the HSE with their no-nonsense stance to these barbaric instruments of pain and misery.

Well said HSWT.

I, too, salute the HSE with their no-nonsense stance to these barbaric instruments of pain and misery.

Apparently anyone who can show evidence of physical damage caused by using the rope and wheel in the past such as blisters etc will be able to claim compensation. Lawyers are talking 6 figure sums.

ITS a go,er i have an ongoing case against my first employer in the Scaffolding game for the DAMAGE DONE TO MY KNUCKLES DUE TO THEM SCRAPING ALONG THE GROUND,at the end of a shift on the Rope.The Lawyer has also advised me that i can claim for T,SHIRTS JUMPERS ETC that had the shoulders ruined.
MY MATES WIFE WHO WORKS FOR THE MP WORKING HAND IN HAND WITH THE HSE AND AN ACCESS CONFEDERATION THAT WILL REMAIN NAMELESS ARE PUSHING FOR HELICOPTORS TO GET THE GEAR ON TO THE LIFTS.
THIS WILL MEAN MORE TRAINING FOR THE LANDING OF THE GEAR BUT IT WILL BE ACCEPTED WORLDWIDE.;)

ITS a go,er i have an ongoing case against my first employer in the Scaffolding game for the DAMAGE DONE TO MY KNUCKLES DUE TO THEM SCRAPING ALONG THE GROUND,at the end of a shift on the Rope.The Lawyer has also advised me that i can claim for T,SHIRTS JUMPERS ETC that had the shoulders ruined.
MY MATES WIFE WHO WORKS FOR THE MP WORKING HAND IN HAND WITH THE HSE AND AN ACCESS CONFEDERATION THAT WILL REMAIN NAMELESS ARE PUSHING FOR HELICOPTORS TO GET THE GEAR ON TO THE LIFTS.
THIS WILL MEAN MORE TRAINING FOR THE LANDING OF THE GEAR BUT IT WILL BE ACCEPTED WORLDWIDE.;)

God, I hate it when someone trolls a legitimate 'rope & wheel banned' thread 😡😡😡

You have no chance happy.If you try and claim for damage done to your knuckles due to scraping them on the ground this will be thrown out as soon as they realize you come from Glasgow.
As for claiming for ruined jumpers you have always been able to claim for them.

---------- Post added at 01:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:46 AM ----------

And the idea of using helicoptors is absolutely ludicrous. Everyone knows they cant get the guys offshore properly let alone drop 20 boards some long and a few fittings needed to finish a job in kensington.
Far better to invest in some giant air beds similar to a bouncy castle. Simply lay the materials on top and pump up until they reach the required level.For dismantling simply deflate. They will also act as a safety cushion if someone fell off. In fact why bother with scaffolding at all. Just put painters, laggers and brickies on the top of the air beds, inflate and then when they have finished deflate and bring them back to the ground. Its a brilliant idea i expect that Flynn design solutions guy will say he has already thought of it.

I cant cant wait for the bouncy castle scaffolds to be introduced no need for tube or fittings just 50 romainians to take in turns on the foot pumps

I cant cant wait for the bouncy castle scaffolds to be introduced no need for tube or fittings just 50 romainians to take in turns on the foot pumps

We would need to follow the green route,why not burn the roma.....er I mean burn excess rubbish and use the resultant gasses to inflate these brickie bags:idea:

cheers for the nice words of encouragement SPANNER,regarding the claim i was going to head down DOHA way with the proceeds and treat you to a chinese takeaway ;) but youve just fecked that one
AS FOR THE HELICOPTERS ITS THE SEAKINGS FROM THE SEA AND MOUNTAIN RESCUE THAT WAS TO BE TESTED FOR THE SCAFFOLDING,AS THEY ARE BEING DISBANDED YOU HEARD IT HERE FIRST

dam... i can think of tower blocks for small firms being a pain! lots of pumping or costs are going to go up for a hoist.... rope and wheel sucks but some times it has to be used.

get the little runts to run up the gantres with it and a bag of fittings in the other hand like i used to have to do lol!!!

Indian snake charmers wanted,,,must possess the ability to levitate tube by method of flute,or mind..

i used to enjoy cuplok staircases on rope and wheel... ouch

Top Bottom