Rope & Wheel Banned

I for one applaud the HSE action. Why are people using this ancient method to raise and lower materials in these modern times? With today's focus on health and safety to expect the modern scaffolder to use something that has been around since the Pyramid project is unbelievable.
Hopefully from Jan 01 2014 all scaffolds will be constructed by building a lift at a time on the ground. This will the be lifted by crane and placed on top section by section. Dismantling will be in reverse order. This will also mean that scaffolders no longer need harnesses or scaffsteps thus saving the scaffolding contractors an absolute fortune.

AND WHAT DO YOU DO ABOUT STAGGERED STANDARDS AND HAND RAIL ..... AM OOUT
Well said HSWT.

I, too, salute the HSE with their no-nonsense stance to these barbaric instruments of pain and misery.

I THINK AM THE ONLY PERSON THAT ENJOYS BEEN ON THE END OF A ROPE THIS WEEK WAS FIRST TIME IN ABOUT 3 YEAR AN I JUMPED AT THE CHANCE :laugh:

You have no chance happy.If you try and claim for damage done to your knuckles due to scraping them on the ground this will be thrown out as soon as they realize you come from Glasgow.
As for claiming for ruined jumpers you have always been able to claim for them.

---------- Post added at 01:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:46 AM ----------

And the idea of using helicoptors is absolutely ludicrous. Everyone knows they cant get the guys offshore properly let alone drop 20 boards some long and a few fittings needed to finish a job in kensington.
Far better to invest in some giant air beds similar to a bouncy castle. Simply lay the materials on top and pump up until they reach the required level.For dismantling simply deflate. They will also act as a safety cushion if someone fell off. In fact why bother with scaffolding at all. Just put painters, laggers and brickies on the top of the air beds, inflate and then when they have finished deflate and bring them back to the ground. Its a brilliant idea i expect that Flynn design solutions guy will say he has already thought of it.

LIE THE TUBE ON THE BOTTOM OF AN AIR BAG AND GET 3 LABS TO THROW SOME BRIKIES OF THE SICCOR LIFT TO LAND ON THE BAG THUS SHOOTING THE TUBE IN THE AIR [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U2ThJ9EU4Jo]blob jump - YouTube[/ame]

get the little runts to run up the gantres with it and a bag of fittings in the other hand like i used to have to do lol!!!

FEKING HORRIBLE THAT MARRA CAN REMBER DOING IT ON GAS PLANT UP TO 25M LEVEL ROUND AND ROUND AROUND AS YOU GO UP DISY WHEN YA GET TO THE TOP AND SCAFFS SITTING THERE W8ING FOR YA BAD OF DOUBBLE LOL

totally disagree with banning the rope & wheel, guess id choose a geda hoist.

Ban The Rope And Wheel? What Next Wear Harnesses? No Seriously Its Time To Get The Puntin Arms On, Are The Hse Trying To Make Our Job Even More Difficult Surely Not.

AND WHAT DO YOU DO ABOUT STAGGERED STANDARDS AND HAND RAIL ..... AM OOUT

A decent scaff and a decent crane driver should get round that.

I like your trampoline idea though.

I, for one, applaud the trampoline idea.

It's talented young individuals, with fresh ideas, like Marra Watson & Roger Nutkins who should be running our industry.

Not the secretive and cretinous buffoons at the HSE.

I to applaud the trampoline , without the Hse banning such things as the rope and wheel these ideas would never be revealed . I don`t see what the problem is , all you need is a 10 tonne crane to follow each squad simples .

**** the rope and wheel give the labourers a 26ft wooden pole ladder to get the gear up for the first 4 lifts. The next two they can work up then they can have a rope. Lazy *****

**** the rope and wheel give the labourers a 26ft wooden pole ladder to get the gear up for the first 4 lifts. The next two they can work up then they can have a rope. Lazy *****

Firm, but fair.

Got a few rope and wheel sets for sale... this years model, a few paint chips service history well greased...cheap

half day handballing couses available:D:D

Maybe theyre banning them to stop dodgy guys over the road like this :laugh:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SmVGMsMws9Y]A Fish Called Wanda - Ken Kills The Old Lady - YouTube[/ame]

No. This was a bit of a tongue and cheek thread.

:laugh::laugh::laugh:
Miss these wind ups.
Whatever happened to phil181 anyway?

there was talk of wheels being banned from site a while back, not evry site has a crane,couldnt see how this would have been enforced anyway.

Will have to be they way it always was and is on the street :D:D

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRyDlVOE86U]Chain Gang - Sam Cooke - YouTube[/ame]

Makes no difference to me as I've never been able to afford a wheel. Always made do with some old rope I pinched from a kids rope swing down the woods.:nuts:

As I'm sure everyone already knows, the HSE have decided that we are no longer allowed to use a rope and gin wheel to raise or lower scaffolding materials from Jan 01 2014.

I was just wondering what alternatives people had in mind for these new rules that will affect all of us?
I'm toying with the idea of using a "Wheel and rope instead". Thus circumventing the ban by simply calling it something else, bit like the Chinese do when they rip off somebodies idea.

currently working on the anti gravity tube and fitting sussed the downward motion but still deep in R&D with the upward aspect, I'll keep you posted.

Top Bottom