Rope & Wheel Banned

The answer to the rope and wheel is balloons multi coloured of course tie on the ballons and hey presto loads of gear floating around your job just reach out and grab the required tube. Simples.

Just build buildings 3 lifts high and just enough for longen as stardards catch the guard rail !

I was talking to a Head Honcho for CITB/CISRS about 6 months ago and YES they are Banning the Rope And Wheel.The Rope is to be replaced by wire lash which will be Marine Grade.I am involved in the process myself on a FreeLance consultancy basis.My job is to Re-Invent the Wheel.The best prototype so far is similar to the 20P peice which in tests will not fall to the Ground with the same acceleration as the Traditional wheel.This will give the Lazy Green Smoking Iphone tweeting Grunny time to catch the Wire Lash and STOP the Load hitting the Ground;)

Scaffolder gets suspended jail term for pulley fall

Scaffolder gets suspended jail term for pulley fall Ι Construction Enquirer

A scaffolder has received a four month prison sentence suspended for 12 months after a construction worker suffered a fractured skull when a pulley wheel fell seven metres and struck his head.

Birmingham Magistrates’ Court heard 27-year-old Mark Jones, from Darlaston, was installing lead flashing on a school roof using lifting equipment installed by Christopher Alan Harvey, trading as Cannock Wood Scaffolding , when the incident happened on 8 August 2013.

Jones, who was working for a subcontractor on the site, was operating a gin wheel to hoist and lower materials with ropes.

The wheel had been attached to the scaffold by Christopher Harvey.

As Jones was loading materials from the ground ready for lifting to the roof, the wheel, weighing four kg, fell seven meters from the scaffold and struck him on the head fracturing his skull. He has since made a full recovery.

A HSE investigation found that Harvey had failed to properly secure the gin wheel to the scaffold – no scaffold fittings were used to prevent the gin wheel from falling off the end of the scaffold tube, and the supporting structure was inadequately braced.

Harvey, 40, of Cannock, West Midlands, pleaded guilty to a safety breach and received a four month prison sentence suspended for 12 months and was ordered to pay Jones compensation of £2,500, plus £527.56 in costs.

Speaking after the hearing, HSE Inspector Edward Fryer said: “This incident was entirely preventable and could easily have been avoided had Mr Harvey followed the published guidance to attach the wheel securely.

“Gin wheels are a common accessory for scaffolders and must be attached correctly. The installation of this gin wheel fell far short of the expected standard and made it almost inevitable that it would fall from the scaffold endangering anyone walking beneath.

“Mr Jones suffered a fracture to his skull, but it is nothing more than luck that he was not more seriously injured, or even killed.

“If you are installing scaffolding or associated lifting equipment, it must be left in a safe condition. The quality of work could make the difference between life or death.”

For the sake of one fecking fitting a mans gets a fractured skull
Too busy on the phone or smoking the green,or just inept

That Harvey bloke made a mistake in not sticking a check on wheel, the bloke below made a mistake by not having a hard hat on,not checking stability of lifting equipt ,in any case how can h/s ban something still being manufactured,anyone can still buy.

How was this possible? Even the most unskiled of people would see that the giny wheel was going to fall of with nothing to restrain it.i find it hard to believe that someone could be that stupid.also its frightening that some one that stupid is out there using a spanner!!!!!

i blame smoking the green and tweeting on the phone.
REMEMBER THE SGB VIDEO ABOUT THE GUY ON THE PHONE;)

The answer to the rope and wheel is balloons multi coloured of course tie on the ballons and hey presto loads of gear floating around your job just reach out and grab the required tube. Simples.

are you a hammers fan Damo??:laugh: ....bubbles,balloons,they all fade n die.

nothing wrong with getting on it at a weekend or a night but the skunk brigade who think smoking before and during work helps them concentrate and work better get right on my tits

Well said ^^^^.....cant stand it myself but i cant work with lads that think its perfectly ok to come to work monged out their face.

Don't smoke it at work but what a man does in his own home to unwind is his business and his business alone.
What about the roid and Charlie bandits at work?
Bawbags.

Anyone working under the influence of drink or drugs at work should be named and shamed as their putting other lads lives at risk.

Worked with a right few alkies pissed as a fart in my time too. They're the dodgiest of all. I'm not talking about being a but rough after a heavy night either, I'm talking a bottle of wine or six cans for breakfast.

Street scaffs in Glasgow Den, obviously not on any decent jobs and not for a long time but when I was younger came across a few. A danger to themselves and anyone working around them.

Top Bottom